Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
You can vote for lots of people, but people just go with democrats and republicans.

The problem with the OP's question is that protests don't effectuate change because the voting public ignores them, not because we have a totalitarian government.

The system is a failure and very corrupt.

Scumaticians get into office and do anything and everything to stay there term after term after term after term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM

800 posts, read 508,439 times
Truer words than the thread title may have never been spoken. A bunch of people standing around holding a sign is really quite laughable if people are looking to get something changed. If it "raises awareness" and more people join for the sign holding it still doesn't do anything unless you DO something.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian Inserection View Post
There are hundreds if not thousands of "peaceful" demonstrations each year in the United States, but not matter what the protest the outcome is always the same. The police show up in riot gear pepper spray, tear gas, and arrest people then the protest winds down; the people go home without changing a darn thing, but feeling somehow validated that they were willing to suffer through pepper spray for their cause.

When I think of protest I think of a means to an end and that end being a political or cultural change. It appears that most of my fellow American's have come to view a protests as method of catharsis so that once they have vented their emotional frustrations they can go back to their rank and file lives without changing anything. If these "look at me, I'm a victim too" protests are ineffective at creating real change is it time to consider other options. I'm talking about violence, could violence be an effective tool for protesters to use to achieve their ends?
For the most part, it's because the vast majority of protesters are fools that want something for nothing. If you want change...getting a mob together to whine, drink and smash stuff doesn't convert people to your side. If anything it alienates them.

Present a logical argument and work to change people's way of thinking in productive, non-violent ways.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Non-violent civil disobedience is the only way to go, it is what the elite fear.
Martin Luther King was the most feared man in America, so feared he was killed.
If you get violent you play right into their hands, it gives the storm troopers an excuse to clamp down.
Just look what happen when they pepper sprayed those girls they had penned up, it brought more people out into the streets protesting.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
There are hundreds if not thousands of "peaceful" demonstrations each year in the United States, but not matter what the protest the outcome is always the same. The police show up in riot gear pepper spray, tear gas, and arrest people then the protest winds down; the people go home without changing a darn thing, but feeling somehow validated that they were willing to suffer through pepper spray for their cause.

When I think of protest I think of a means to an end and that end being a political or cultural change. It appears that most of my fellow American's have come to view a protests as method of catharsis so that once they have vented their emotional frustrations they can go back to their rank and file lives without changing anything. If these "look at me, I'm a victim too" protests are ineffective at creating real change is it time to consider other options. I'm talking about violence, could violence be an effective tool for protesters to use to achieve their ends?
TEA Party was peaceful, and they turned the 2010 election cycle into a landslide for Republicans.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Protesting the government is a felony, and the people are about to re-elect the same president and the same lawmakers who made it a felony. Whose fault is that?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Peaceful protest is ignored and not taken seriously by policy makers. Violent protest only makes things worse. The solution is ignorance...ignore those in power that you do not approve of...if everyone did this the culprit would fade away. No one can rule an ignorant population...they simply will not pay attention.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:13 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:

When people act like babies do they expect that people will respect and listen to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies