Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Equal protection of the laws.... So civil unions that would cover legal issues such as estates and benefits don't count? It still doesn't say "marriage" and that there should be a law for it. I can see how it can be open to interpretation by the sitting government though.
What I quoted is referred to as the "Equal protection clause". It is as significant as the Bill of Rights. It was cited in Loving v. Virginia to strike down state laws against mixed race marriages.

I do believe that the SC will strike down laws against gay marriage in the coming session (which is why anti-gay marriage proponents are pushing a constitutional amendment), but I also agree that churches should not be (and won't be) compelled to marry people that they choose not to marry. Civil marriage is an option in every state. When I lived in Germany, church marriages were ceremonial only. If you wanted a legal marriage you did it downtown. If you wanted a church "blessing", you had a church wedding, but still needed to go downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
What the guy said was not powerful, he was just mad and b*****.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Romney didn't skirt it or bob or weave it. Wow. This gay man is bold and hateful at the end. Romney is clear on where he stands.. unlike Obama who moves all over the place on the issues including marriage.. Obama has no core of principles. At least with Romney he is clear on his platform. God Bless Mitt Romney.
I would bet romney assumed the man would share his views when he was first asked. the man becoming more adamant does not make him hateful and bold.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What I quoted is referred to as the "Equal protection clause". It is as significant as the Bill of Rights. It was cited in Loving v. Virginia to strike down state laws against mixed race marriages.
I'm certainly no law scholar, so I could certainly do with a little brushing up in constitutional law, but I do remember learning about that. Thanks for the reminder. But anyway, I'm mixed opinion on this issue first, because of my Christian and Conservative leanings and secondly, because I have a gay cousin who I love dearly and don't want to seeher or her partner have any problems should they face seperation by death or problems should they become ill.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:

I do believe that the SC will strike down laws against gay marriage in the coming session (which is why anti-gay marriage proponents are pushing a constitutional amendment), but I also agree that churches should not be (and won't be) compelled to marry people that they choose not to marry. Civil marriage is an option in every state. When I lived in Germany, church marriages were ceremonial only. If you wanted a legal marriage you did it downtown. If you wanted a church "blessing", you had a church wedding, but still needed to go downtown.
Quote:
I'm certainly no law scholar, so I could certainly do with a little brushing up in constitutional law, but I do remember learning about that. Thanks for the reminder. But anyway, I'm mixed opinion on this issue first, because of my Christian and Conservative leanings and secondly, because I have a gay cousin who I love dearly and don't want to seeher or her partner have any problems should they face seperation by death or problems should they become ill.
definition of "marriage" is subjective. the legal benefits should be the same for all who do marry, same sex or not.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court will so rule in the coming year or so and this issue will be put to rest (about as much as abortion, I suppose).
The part in parentheses is probably key in that statement

Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
I think this is why the opinions on gay marriage are changing. Almost everyone knows, respects and/or loves someone who is gay and wants the best for them. Kudos to you for recognizing it.

FWIW, I thought both Romney and the veteran handled the interview well. Romney was straight-forward and the veteran was polite. Of course he was more passionate about the issue than Romney-it affects every aspect of his life.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
What the guy said was not powerful, he was just mad and b*****.
Wow, that's how you feel about an elderly vet? Your showing a lot of class...

Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
I saw no awkwardness whatsoever in Romney. He stated his views and the other guy didn't like it. He's entitled to not like the answer he got, but I would also say to that man that nowhere in the constitution does it say anything about gay marriage rights or even things about gay lifestyles. That man is old enough to know that not everyone will agree with him, nor should they be forced to.
It is indicated all mean are created equal, and have the right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and by allowing same sex marriage or equal rights to gays is not forcing you to do anything. Romney is going to lose anyway.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Romney didn't skirt it or bob or weave it. Wow. This gay man is bold and hateful at the end. Romney is clear on where he stands.. unlike Obama who moves all over the place on the issues including marriage.. Obama has no core of principles. At least with Romney he is clear on his platform. God Bless Mitt Romney.
LOL, Romney changes sides on issues more time than a ball changes court sides at the US Open, you really should educate yourself more about YOUR candidate. Obama changed his mind on gay marriage, which was something most of his supporters also agree with, he has not said he would change anything though did he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies