Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times

Advertisements

Let me start this by saying that I have absolutely no problem with what someone else's sexual preference is as long as they respect mine.

Now can someone explain to me exactly what gay pride is? It's my understanding that being gay isn't a choice but instead something that you just are. So how can you be proud of something that you had no control over? Being gay isn't an achievement or something you worked hard for. I'm hetero. It's not something that I'm proud or ashamed of. It's just something that is. Now you can embrace being gay, but proud? Proud about what?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:05 AM

36 posts, read 53,190 times
Being proud of who YOU are. I agree that you are born that way. IMO, it’s the same as people who are proud to be Mexican, African American, Native American. Yes those are “races” but you were born that way and you are proud of it.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy97 View Post
Being proud of who YOU are. I agree that you are born that way. IMO, it’s the same as people who are proud to be Mexican, African American, Native American. Yes those are “races” but you were born that way and you are proud of it.
I still believe "proud" is the wrong word to use. I'm of Latin descent. Sure I embrace my culture and can be proud of certain achievements that those of my race have achieved. I just can't see how someone can be proud of something that they had no control over.

You finish school and obtain a degree. That's something to be proud of.

You worked hard and got that promotion as a result. That's something to be proud of.

Your born red headed or gay. Now that's something you can choose to embrace. You didn't achieve or work hard towards being gay or red headed. You just are!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,062,003 times
It's basically the equivalent of saying that you're not ashamed of who you are and you don't hate or judge yourself for who you are the way that others might hate or judge you. It's similar to ethnic pride, but not as similar to regional pride. Regional pride is more about having a love for the place that you live/come from (see; proud to be an American). It's a poor word choice in all of those cases, but it gets the point across.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Gay people have been shamed, beaten, killed and everything else for who they are..."gay pride" simply means not wanting to be shamed into silence or hiding their true identities.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Gay people have been shamed, beaten, killed and everything else for who they are..."gay pride" simply means not wanting to be shamed into silence or hiding their true identities.
This has been true for practically every type of person at some point in history. Every ethnicity was enslaved at some point somewhere. Every religion was attacked somewhere at some point.

I see things like gay pride and gay pride parades the same as I do with black pride or an Irish parade. If people want to have little celebrations of who they feel they are, I have no issue with it. Personally, I don't need a special day to celebrate my straightness or my heritage, but that's me. If you feel the need to, knock yourself out, have a good time and drink a beer or margarita for me.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:40 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Unless you're proud to be white. Then you're a racist.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:41 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I celebrate my straightness every time I see a beautiful woman. And I'm proud of it, not in an arrogant way, but in the sense that I am grateful I have the ability to appreciate a beautiful woman.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:38 PM

287 posts, read 769,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

But it really isn't their "identity". It's simply an attraction. One aspect of their lives. They chose to make it their identity which is sad and not necessarily something to be "proud" of. It would be nice if they would just keep it to themselves. Find a partner if they must. Be happy. No one is going to take that away from you if you don't want them to. But this whole, "Looky at me. I'm GAY!" thing really turns most people off or at the least makes them roll their eyes. We really don't care what your orientation is. Now get back to work and quit complaining. << That wasn't meant at you Natural. Just at the whole LGBT crowd in general.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This has been true for practically every type of person at some point in history. Every ethnicity was enslaved at some point somewhere. Every religion was attacked somewhere at some point.

I see things like gay pride and gay pride parades the same as I do with black pride or an Irish parade. If people want to have little celebrations of who they feel they are, I have no issue with it. Personally, I don't need a special day to celebrate my straightness or my heritage, but that's me. If you feel the need to, knock yourself out, have a good time and drink a beer or margarita for me.
Well, of course you don't because your orientation is the norm on a vast scale, and it is "celebrated" without a second thought in every facet of society on a daily basis. If you or I want to hold hands with our wife or kiss them in public, no one will give it a second though. Now if two men or women want to do the same, in most of America and the world, they can expect anything from a stare, to a comment, to arrest or violence, depending on where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies