Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times

Advertisements

How about just asking what can be done about racism instead of racism from immigrants? I have had enough Latino and Asian friends to know they are not any more fond of White people than they are of Blacks. A lot of them aren't very politically correct either. They have their stereotypes, but once they get to know a person that is what they see them for, an individual. I say this because I have gotten some crazy questions about blacks from other minorities. I don't get offended, most of them are born out of curiousity or igorance. They have also not held back their feelings about Whites either and if they are commenting, it is never favorable.

Anyone who prejudges people based on the color of their skin and can't get beyond that is a moron. We are all subjective and guilty of stereotyping to some extent, but if you can't open your mind to the possibility that you could be wrong and take the time out to see people as individuals, you are basically a narrow-minded idiot. I don't feel that I have anything to prove to anyone. Anyone who has thier mind completely made up on first sight isn't worth my time, no matter what race they are.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
I've said it before. Immigrants are simply reacting to what they see around them and on TV. If you've had any meaningful interaction with urban African- American youth in a public settings there's a good chance it wasn't pleasant. The adults are marginally better.

For some reason African- American posters here are in big denial about how other Americans perceive them and why. Many seem to think White folks are somehow telling new immigrants not to like Blacks or that new immigrants are leery of Blacks because of Whites.

Here in the DC area, Immigrants have been avoiding the Black areas of town like the plague and are concentrated in Northern Virginia and Montgomery County, mostly white areas at least they used to be. The majority Black county in the DC area is the only one where school enrollment dropped and the few immigrants who make it out there live in little enclaves.

The denial from African- Americans about their own community is astonishing. I can't think of any reputable culture that would be satisfied being known for murder, violence, illegitmacy and lack of education.

Their reflexive focus on Whites is pathetic. Get a culture, raise your families, go to work, teach your kids how to act in school and maybe folks will not be leery of you.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've said it before. Immigrants are simply reacting to what they see around them and on TV. If you've had any meaningful interaction with urban African- American youth in a public settings there's a good chance it wasn't pleasant. The adults are marginally better.

For some reason African- American posters here are in big denial about how other Americans perceive them and why. Many seem to think White folks are somehow telling new immigrants not to like Blacks or that new immigrants are leery of Blacks because of Whites.

Here in the DC area, Immigrants have been avoiding the Black areas of town like the plague and are concentrated in Northern Virginia and Montgomery County, mostly white areas at least they used to be. The majority Black county in the DC area is the only one where school enrollment dropped and the few immigrants who make it out there live in little enclaves.

The denial from African- Americans about their own community is astonishing. I can't think of any reputable culture that would be satisfied being known for murder, violence, illegitmacy and lack of education.

Their reflexive focus on Whites is pathetic. Get a culture, raise your families, go to work, teach your kids how to act in school and maybe folks will not be leery of you.
Here's hoping you follow your own advice.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Ok,I see I made a mistake.
So,let me get it straight.
Its the white hispanics who are racist against black hispanics,and when they come to America carry those same beilefs over here by being raicist against black americans?

In other words,hispanics can be black or white,and the black ones are the same(racial) group as black americans?

I also learned Asians is too broad a category.
Remember the case of the Chinese Doctor who shot the Indian Doctor,because he said the Indian guy favored his people over him because he was Chinese?
Please a Dominican will tell you real quick they ain't Black and want nothing to do with Blacks.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
The world watches American TV and sees show like:

~ Most Shocking
~ Cops
~ Worlds Dumbest Criminals

Where 90% of the criminals are African-Americans... But AA's live in a world of don't believe your eyes, believe what I tell you.

If the AA community wants to be seen as a law abiding part of American society instead of gangsta's in da hood who hang out on corners they are the only ones who can change that image.

After decades of "blame the whitey", getting more and more belligerent towards white society who has to lower it's standards to appease them it's time African-Americans take responsibility for their own image they project out to the world.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Is this simply a race issue or a class issue? I have been to Northern Virginia and it isn't like the upper class areas are all Whites and immigrants. You can't really "avoid blacks like the plague" in the DC area, but you can avoid poor blacks. By the way it isn't like Asian neighborhoods are just the best. Ever been to Chinatown in a major urban area like Boston or New York? It isn't like it is some sort of urban utopia where everything is new, clean, safe and state of the art. Also places called "little Africa", "little Havana", and "little Italy" aren't always the best neighborhoods either.

If immigrants have a negative perception of African-Americans, they have the same one of you. If you want to take the time out to prove to them that you do not fit their stereotypical view of people your complexion, that is on you. I choose not to waste my time with people who are so narrow-minded that they can't get past skin color.

I find it amusing how people think that they can talk about other races of people to people that aren't part of that race. I have heard Whites talk bad about Mexicans, Asians and African immigrants. I have heard Asians and Latinos talk bad about Whites and Blacks talk bad about Arabs and Latinos. I cringe when I hear it from anyone and it also lets me know that they will do it about my race as well. It is even worse when people are amongst the same race. You can blame black people all day, but racism is the problem not the solution. Discriminating then saying it is okay because some black people are bad isn't going to solve the problem.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Please a Dominican will tell you real quick they ain't Black and want nothing to do with Blacks.

They certainly will. Sucks for them because their skin says otherwise. That is usually the older ones that "want nothing to do with blacks". It isn't just African-Americans either, apparently they hate Hatians too. When it comes Dominicans it purely about skin color, their issue doesn't come from watching cops or observing black youth.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Is this simply a race issue or a class issue? I have been to Northern Virginia and it isn't like the upper class areas are all Whites and immigrants. You can't really "avoid blacks like the plague" in the DC area, but you can avoid poor blacks. By the way it isn't like Asian neighborhoods are just the best. Ever been to Chinatown in a major urban area like Boston or New York? It isn't like it is some sort of urban utopia where everything is new, clean, safe and state of the art. Also places called "little Africa", "little Havana", and "little Italy" aren't always the best neighborhoods either.

If immigrants have a negative perception of African-Americans, they have the same one of you. If you want to take the time out to prove to them that you do not fit their stereotypical view of people your complexion, that is on you. I choose not to waste my time with people who are so narrow-minded that they can't get past skin color.

I find it amusing how people think that they can talk about other races of people to people that aren't part of that race. I have heard Whites talk bad about Mexicans, Asians and African immigrants. I have heard Asians and Latinos talk bad about Whites and Blacks talk bad about Arabs and Latinos. I cringe when I hear it from anyone and it also lets me know that they will do it about my race as well. It is even worse when people are amongst the same race. You can blame black people all day, but racism is the problem not the solution. Discriminating then saying it is okay because some black people are bad isn't going to solve the problem.
Well, in defense of EdwardA, he is black but not apart of the "black community" and is therefore qualified to talk about the ailments of the "black community" while not having to take responsibility or flack because of it.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
I'm Cuban, I'm Black, and I have no problem being both. Many Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Panamanians, Colombians, etc., are proudly both.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm Cuban, I'm Black, and I have no problem being both. Many Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Panamanians, Colombians, etc., are proudly both.
There is rampant racism versus darker skinned and black heritage people throughout south american and the carribean.

How bad is it? Bad enough that even famous multi-millionaires....oh, just look at the pictures.

Sammy Sosa - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies