Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do you let something like that bother you? So long as they don't openly disrespect you, why not just blow it off? Why go through life like that?

I just don't understand why so many black folks care about the personal opinions of non-blacks. As long as I'm shown the requisite amount of respect and courtesy, they can show all the fake smiles til they drop dead. Only if they get out if pocket should you put them in their place...and quickly.

Otherwise, pay it no mind.
I ask for respect. That is what I ask for from people if they are going to come here.

I get upset about things like this because I look at it like this. Things like this are as old as this nation is.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In many parts of the world, perhaps, but not all is great everywhere.

For instance, in Russia, an African-American student was stabbed multiple times in Volgograd

Moscow Through Brown Eyes: Newsflash: African American Stabbed in Volgograd

Should people of color go to Russia? | Matador Network

African-American student stabbed in Russia - World news - Europe | NBC News

I would thoroughly read all of this links. And this is nothing new.
Many African-Americans settled in Russia during communism. Unfortunately he probably was mistaken for an African.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Many African-Americans settled in Russia during communism. Unfortunately he probably was mistaken for an African.
That was during communism. Things have changed since 1991. But my point is this. It doesn't matter in Russia. How do you know he was mistaken for African? Do you know what he looks like? The thugs who go out and attack Blacks don't care if they come from Africa ot the USA. They want to kill any non-White peoples in Russia.

Skinheads In Russia : NPR

Hate Crimes Threaten Multi-Ethnic Russia : NPR

Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do you let something like that bother you? So long as they don't openly disrespect you, why not just blow it off? Why go through life like that?

I just don't understand why so many black folks care about the personal opinions of non-blacks. As long as I'm shown the requisite amount of respect and courtesy, they can show all the fake smiles til they drop dead. Only if they get out if pocket should you put them in their place...and quickly.

Otherwise, pay it no mind.
I don't understand it either. I don't care about the opinions of black people either LOL!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
I read some of these posts and just laugh I can tell many here have only superficial dealings with members of other nationalities and cultures. When I lived in NYC I befriended several Dominican co-workers and neighbors and to a man/woman none considered themselves Black when probed further few would even acknowledge African ancestry. I went to a Baptism for one such Dominican swore up and down he was Indian what did he call it Taino or something. In his defense he was significantly lighter than most Dominicans I knew.

Well there was this very dark skin elderly man at the receprtion who was sitting by the family. So I asked him who he was it was his Grandfather.

Then there was a time when my Black Costa Rican friend waited on a table of Hispanics. Not sure what happened but they were calling him all kinds of monkeys and babboons in Spanish thinking he didn't understand. Well when he dropped the check he did so in Spanish in a way that made it clear to them he understood every word they were saying. They all turned beet red and apologized perfusely he simply turned around and walked away.
This behavior is not limited to only skin color. I've known many Dominicans that don't like it when people confuse them with Puerto Ricans & vice versa, nor will many Puerto Ricans like it if you say they are the same as Mexicans. People can be very tribal.

Quote:
Much of the world is very Darwinistic and folks have I guess what we would call Nazi like beliefs, some people are simply better than others, it is what it is.

It's only in the West where an abolitionist movement developed. It's only in the West that the belief that all men are created equal.
And that's why I don't knock posters here that talk about the importance of having a common, unifying American culture. Tribalism can get very ugly & tear a nation apart.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 AM

191 posts, read 163,670 times
There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy, misrepresentation, and inconsistency when it comes to race issues.
First, the statistics show that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime in the U. S. But that doesn’t mean that ALL or MOST black people commit crime. What percentage of people within each race commit crime? I’m not disregarding the stats altogether, but I do think they can be misleading and unfair.
Second, not all black people are loud or act like thugs. There are plenty of well-raised black people (including me) who were taught to respect others, do their best in school, and not to break the law. Are they considered anomalies? I guess they don’t exist.
Third, people say that we black Americans as a whole should make more of an effort to portray ourselves positively. But how, pray tell, are we supposed to do that? Supporting and encouraging our fellow black people to reach our full potential is a noble idea in theory. But in practice, trying to change other people is usually futile. Many people, especially older adults, are rigidly set in their ways. So are the racists who refuse to see black people as anything more than thugs/hoodrats. So then, what? However, we have a better chance to influence children and teenagers, and young adults, since they are still trying to find their place in the world.
Fourth, some people stereotype all blacks as no-good thugs, but then successful ones are called out as “sellouts.” Not to mention the fact that negative stereotypes of black Americans (gangsta-rap with demeaning music videos, thug lifestyles, loud-overbearing personality/behavior, etc.) are glorified in the media. How can that be?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
Fourth, some people stereotype all blacks as no-good thugs, but then successful ones are called out as “sellouts.” Not to mention the fact that negative stereotypes of black Americans (gangsta-rap with demeaning music videos, thug lifestyles, loud-overbearing personality/behavior, etc.) are glorified in the media. How can that be?
The only ones calling successful non-ghetto type blacks as sellouts or "Uncle Toms" are the non-successful ghetto type blacks. I have never heard any non-black person put down a successful non-ghetto black as a sellout or "Uncle Tom". Really, truly.

And that especially goes for Asians and whites imo. Having a good education and behaving like a civilized person is what it takes to be successful and productive in life. Behaving, looking and talking like street trash/gangsta thug is a loser lifestyle, no matter what ones skin colour is. So there is no reason at all for non-blacks to want to be around thuggie acting blacks, we would greatly prefer to be in contact with only the "sellout" and "Uncle Tom" type of black person, so why would we insult them for being the kind of blacks we want them to be?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
I was talking to a group of black friends about racism and discrimination and they told me something interesting. The popular perception is that most of the negative reaction towards black people is from racist White people. They say this is not true. Instead, the worst racism is from other people of color. Dark Skinned Blacks are openly discriminated against by light skinned blacks but perhaps the most racist group is Asian immigrants. They were never taught to be politically correct or sensitive and racism is quite common in their old countries. As more and more of American population comes from Asia and the Middle East African Americans will experience more racism that is quite blantent and extreme.

What can be done about immigrants who treat African Americans with contempt?
I've certainly noticed it coming from East Asians and some groups of Latinos. I've had zero problems with Middle Easterners.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The only ones calling successful non-ghetto type blacks as sellouts or "Uncle Toms" are the non-successful ghetto type blacks. I have never heard any non-black person put down a successful non-ghetto black as a sellout or "Uncle Tom". Really, truly.

And that especially goes for Asians and whites imo. Having a good education and behaving like a civilized person is what it takes to be successful and productive in life. Behaving, looking and talking like street trash/gangsta thug is a loser lifestyle, no matter what ones skin colour is. So there is no reason at all for non-blacks to want to be around thuggie acting blacks, we would greatly prefer to be in contact with only the "sellout" and "Uncle Tom" type of black person, so why would we insult them for being the kind of blacks we want them to be?
I'm certainly not a "sellout" or an "Uncle Tom", but I am an educated and well-mannered black man who wouldn't dare to associate myself with someone like you.

The ignorance in this thread is sickening.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't understand it either. I don't care about the opinions of black people either LOL!
Neither do I. Never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies