Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,450,695 times

Advertisements

Racism is a multi-faceted problem. When my family got "off the boat" in Jersey City back in the 80s, blacks were just as bad as whites when it came to racism. A lot of this was "poor-man's" racism, and could've been overlooked, but it often became physical. Middle and upper class racism(from whatever group) is usually more structural in nature(at least in the adult world). As someone who's "Asian," the best way to avoid open racism is to avoid low income whites and blacks. I would never raise my kids around poor, uneducated whites and blacks; I've been there growing up(in a mostly black urban neighborhood and a mostly white, blue collar suburb), and I would never voluntarily put my kids through that.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-15-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 09:49 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
I was talking to a group of black friends about racism and discrimination and they told me something interesting. The popular perception is that most of the negative reaction towards black people is from racist White people. They say this is not true. Instead, the worst racism is from other people of color. Dark Skinned Blacks are openly discriminated against by light skinned blacks but perhaps the most racist group is Asian immigrants. They were never taught to be politically correct or sensitive and racism is quite common in their old countries. As more and more of American population comes from Asia and the Middle East African Americans will experience more racism that is quite blantent and extreme.

What can be done about immigrants who treat African Americans with contempt?
I'm petty sure you're lying. That said, black folk don't talk openly with individuals with the white supremacist mindset...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
We've been doing constructive things, literally and figuratively, since we've been in this country.
Harrier doubts that many would question that fact.

Just out of curiosity, what figuratively constructive things have black persons in America done?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier doubts that many would question that fact.

Just out of curiosity, what figuratively constructive things have black persons in America done?
You are seriously asking this question? Do you not have a grasp of history outside of Euro-American history in this country?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You are seriously asking this question? Do you not have a grasp of history outside of Euro-American history in this country?
Lucario said "figuratively".

That usually means something that is not concrete - in fact the Webster's definition cites metaphors as being figurative language.

Harrier was curious as to what exactly Lucario meant by using that word.

Go back and read the post - Harrier agreed with what Lucario said, especially with the idea that black people in America have literally done constructive things.

All Harrier did was ask for clarification about the use of a word.

Try not to be so sensitive Shabazz.

Harrier likes you - you are a fellow Angeleno.

Just slow down, and try not to look for bogeymen.

Peace,

Harrier.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
How many decades are African-Americans going to blame whites for their failings?

Until the second coming of Christ. Easier to point a finger than getting up off your a$$ and doing something constructive.
Why shouldn't we blame whites for their own failings? Are we supposed to blame someone else?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
I must say that when I was a realtor the only individuals that ever openly stated they did not want to live with blacks and hispanics were foreign born people of color. The most blatant racism displayed was when I drove by a mosque when showing a native of India homes. He sure as hell was not going to buy a home in that neighborhood.

I honestly have not encountered that much racism in real life. Yes, I am a white guy, but the wife ain't a white girl). On the internet it is a whole different story.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I must say that when I was a realtor the only individuals that ever openly stated they did not want to live with blacks and hispanics were foreign born people of color. The most blatant racism displayed was when I drove by a mosque when showing a native of India homes. He sure as hell was not going to buy a home in that neighborhood.
Forgive me if I don't believe you. The conservative agenda doesn't require verifiable facts...

Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Lucario said "figuratively".

That usually means something that is not concrete - in fact the Webster's definition cites metaphors as being figurative language.

Harrier was curious as to what exactly Lucario meant by using that word.

Go back and read the post - Harrier agreed with what Lucario said, especially with the idea that black people in America have literally done constructive things.

All Harrier did was ask for clarification about the use of a word.

Try not to be so sensitive Shabazz.

Harrier likes you - you are a fellow Angeleno.

Just slow down, and try not to look for bogeymen.

Peace,

Harrier.
This thread is on page 41. I wasn't going to read that many pages...

Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Forgive me if I don't believe you. The conservative agenda doesn't require verifiable facts...
You don't believe anyone who does not agree with your preconceived notions. Forgive me if I think you are a prejudicial moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.