Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:52 PM

679 posts, read 660,548 times

Advertisements

With new security threats developing in the world I don't understand what compels far right wingers towards a more isolationist policy. The new threats developing are A) international, B) hard to combat (We have no clear way of combatting such threats from non-state actors) and C) are fast moving due to globalization.

With these new threats we must continue to promote our multilateral policy we established after WWII and continue working with other countries and bodies such as the United Nations. The UN isn't the boogy man it is made out to be by the far right libertarians. The USA has been a leader in the UN and most importantly the Security Council, which we have a permanent seat. In order to help further preserve better relations we must provide assistance and cooperation with other Member States.

The world is becoming more and more globalized as we speak. The USA is one of the most multicultural places in the world. It is highly out of interests to speak of isolation. If the USA wants to continue to be the global leader it is, more outreach to the international community will be needed, with of course wise foreign policy decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Not everyone sees a boogeyman behind every corner, Mr. Obama.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM

289 posts, read 396,216 times
More shadow wars in Africa!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Forget isolation politics. We're too far gone with global this and that to even try it in today's economy.
Very few consumer products are made in the US anymore. We export the raw goods and import the finished products.
Here in Texas I see more fruit from Mexico and South American countries than I do from the US.

That's why I ignore any talk of isolation policies..it just cannot be done today. Those days are gone where we could have retreated and operated in a bubble until the economy corrected itself.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Forget isolation politics. We're too far gone with global this and that to even try it in today's economy.
Very few consumer products are made in the US anymore. We export the raw goods and import the finished products.
Here in Texas I see more fruit from Mexico and South American countries than I do from the US.

That's why I ignore any talk of isolation policies..it just cannot be done today. Those days are gone where we could have retreated and operated in a bubble until the economy corrected itself.
Those days never existed.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
You need to read up on your US history then.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You need to read up on your US history then.
I have, they never existed, ever. You need to brush up on your US history. No successful State ever existed without strong trading partners and relations. It took us awhile to realize that more trade was to our advantage and thus exploded after WWII and became a super power.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:04 PM

1,403 posts, read 936,885 times
Big difference in isolationism and non interventionism...North Korea is isolationist allows nothing in or out...the US needs to become non interventionist.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Big difference in isolationism and non interventionism...North Korea is isolationist allows nothing in or out...the US needs to become non interventionist.
Careful how you define non-interventionalist. I would agree we need to be smarter with our military but having such a strong military is one of our strengths to begin with. We need to utilize it to protect tradeways and our strategic points. If we don't it can hurt us because other can disrupt them and in turn hurt our economy or threaten our security.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Isolationism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies