Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Sounds like crazy talk, not attempted terrorism.

Part of the whole problem is that we're not accustomed to calling crazy talk by its right name when it's part of a religion.
I agree. I don't suspect that she actually planned to carry out her ideas. But she certainly deserves to be fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM

We have a Muslim woman working in our office (not directly in my department). She is the child of immigrants.

A good friend of mine-a really great guy is the type that when he talks to you he likes to put his hand on your shoulder or something like that. I mean, everyone likes this guy. He's a volunteer fireman and coaches baseball-just a good all around guy.

Well, he had to talk to her about something so he puts his hand on her shoulder. She tells him "don't you ever put your filthy hand on me again"

He was just devastated. He felt so bad, like she though he was a perv or something. I told him that Muslim women don't like to be touched, but did she have to talk to him like that? He's not the same person anymore, he hardly talks to anyone, he thinks he did something wrong. That is the kind of cancer they bring into a workplace.

She comes in and works Christian Holidays and takes comp days off, but she makes sure we all know she's working. (I work shift work and have worked holidays for 25+ years). She works them by choice as she is a daytime worker.

She volunteer with the United Way and she's trying to sell these raffle tickets where she would come to your house and cook your Thanksgiving Dinner this year. Supposedly she's a good cook. I told her straight out that I would eat at McDonalds before I let her in my house. And I told her who my manager is if she has a problem with that.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You're at work and your Muslim co-worker tells you the following:

Police arrest the co-worker for attempted terrorism.

A prominent local lawyer (who does not represent the arrested) says police were right to act, but they may have gone overboard since the case has a religious component.

If someone of a religion which calls for jihad, which is known for terrorist attacks around the world, makes a statement like she did to a co-worker, is it not attempted terrorism? How could the lawyer even try and spin this around citing a religious component -- when all along the religion is misinterpreted by some to require death to infidels, and picking up a gun and shooting people falls in line with that?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

So much for thier human resource department hiring such a loon.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Sounds like crazy talk, not attempted terrorism.

Part of the whole problem is that we're not accustomed to calling crazy talk by its right name when it's part of a religion.
When the crazy talker mixes their religion in with the crazy talk, how, as a society, can we determine what is merely stupidity or what is a red flag?

Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We have a Muslim woman working in our office (not directly in my department). She is the child of immigrants.

A good friend of mine-a really great guy is the type that when he talks to you he likes to put his hand on your shoulder or something like that. I mean, everyone likes this guy. He's a volunteer fireman and coaches baseball-just a good all around guy.

Well, he had to talk to her about something so he puts his hand on her shoulder. She tells him "don't you ever put your filthy hand on me again"

He was just devastated. He felt so bad, like she though he was a perv or something. I told him that Muslim women don't like to be touched, but did she have to talk to him like that? He's not the same person anymore, he hardly talks to anyone, he thinks he did something wrong. That is the kind of cancer they bring into a workplace.

She comes in and works Christian Holidays and takes comp days off, but she makes sure we all know she's working. (I work shift work and have worked holidays for 25+ years). She works them by choice as she is a daytime worker.

She volunteer with the United Way and she's trying to sell these raffle tickets where she would come to your house and cook your Thanksgiving Dinner this year. Supposedly she's a good cook. I told her straight out that I would eat at McDonalds before I let her in my house. And I told her who my manager is if she has a problem with that.
That is terrible. She could have explained to him that she she doesn't like to be touched, or shouldn't be touched. No one deserves to have their head bitten off like that.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

You have no idea if she is simply religious or if she were sexually assaulted in her past.
I don't care if the guy is a nice guy or not, you don't touch co-workers or anyone without being invited to do so.
He is the cancer in the workplace. He put his hands on another employee.

Perhaps others in the office are uncomfortable as well but are afraid to say something because of reactions like yours.

Seems as if you have a problem.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
When the crazy talker mixes their religion in with the crazy talk, how, as a society, can we determine what is merely stupidity or what is a red flag?
I suppose there are criminal profilers who are more or less qualified to make such determinations. How, and in what degree "religion" is mixed into it is of only passing importance. Any aspect of religion should not be given any special consideration or any special prejudice either. Crazy is crazy.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
You're at work and your Muslim co-worker tells you the following:

Police arrest the co-worker for attempted terrorism.

A prominent local lawyer (who does not represent the arrested) says police were right to act, but they may have gone overboard since the case has a religious component.

If someone of a religion which calls for jihad, which is known for terrorist attacks around the world, makes a statement like she did to a co-worker, is it not attempted terrorism? How could the lawyer even try and spin this around citing a religious component -- when all along the religion is misinterpreted by some to require death to infidels, and picking up a gun and shooting people falls in line with that?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
I'd say the police did the right thing, and that they should prosecute her to the maximum extent allowed. I don't care if religion is involved. If anything, it makes it even scarier as fundies can be frightening in their zeal.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You have no idea if she is simply religious or if she were sexually assaulted in her past.
I don't care if the guy is a nice guy or not, you don't touch co-workers or anyone without being invited to do so.
He is the cancer in the workplace. He put his hands on another employee.

Perhaps others in the office are uncomfortable as well but are afraid to say something because of reactions like yours.

Seems as if you have a problem.
The manager is a friend of mine, he already told me they are going to fire her. They are just looking for an excuse. Good riddance and I hope they learned their lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies