Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Don't all unions require you join/pay?
Many do. Many big construction jobs only allow union workers on the premises.

Where ewer you doing the Wisconsin issues last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Unless you are a teacher you have no idea what teachers deal with on a day to day basis. Why anyone would want to become a teacher with the low pay they receive is beyond me. Teachers don't get into this profession to become rich. They do it because they care. But no one seems to appreciate them and just blame them for everything.

Tell it to the teachers' union!

The unions embrace tenure which effectively diminishes teachers and the teaching profession by valuing time on the job over performance.

Only in a widget factory would anyone think the more time you spend placing widgets in a box. the more valuable you are to the business.

A 16% increase is another way of the city betraying the taxpayers. Cannot believe that was the offer.

Those teachers should be fired, the union dumped and the best teachers hired back.

To claim ethical motivation for all teachers ends the serious conversation.

It is union speak for all teachers are equal. No thanks, that might work on your students who you train to regurgitate your tripe in exchange for a good grade.

All teachers are not equal unless equated to a dairy herd of holsteins....and if you knew cattle judguing, each cow is assigned an individual value based o their conformation and milk production. You can tell cows apart but not teachers???!!!!! God bless the teachers union

Rahm will take the bait and give them what they want if they promise to vote for Obama. The teachers know how it works in Chicago.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But those banks have $10M to give them.
Does Chicago have money to give the teachers everything they want ?
They don't. The banks and businesses (including those bailed out by the federal government) don't have the money, but these robbers created a system (boards, etc.) that allows them to share "the loot" or what's left of it, with total disregard to reality. After years of "training", the American public accept these arrangements as given from G_d and... natural.
Quote:

They haven't striked in 25 years because they have gotten everything they wanted.
But there is no more money. The wallet has $700 million in IOUs now.
What is Chicago supposed to do ?
With no money, the city will not give any raise to teachers or other unions.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Republicans and 'neo-liberal 'right-wing Democrats continue their war against working people.

Striking Teachers, Parents Join Forces to Oppose "Corporate" Education Model in Chicago

Chicago Teachers Union | www.ctunet.com
Yeps, It's George Bush's and the Asian Tsunami's fault.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
I don't know..... I know the teachers are paid decent with good benefits, but this is Chicago we are talking about..... a pretty ghetto and violent city (3....2...1.... before some Liberal idiot calls me a racist...) and there are tons of broken families with tons of gangs and drugs and liberals making excuses for these things..... so I do sympathize with the teachers some

If we could find a way to get the family unit to be more stable (I don't care if it is 2 same sex parents or a heterosexual couple), you will find schools to be MUCH better and teachers jobs more enjoyable and everyone would win

Lots of forces at work to help break families apart here in America though....

Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
They don't. The banks and businesses (including those bailed out by the federal government) don't have the money, but these robbers created a system (boards, etc.) that allows them to share "the loot" or what's left of it, with total disregard to reality. After years of "training", the American public accept these arrangements as given from G_d and... natural.

With no money, the city will not give any raise to teachers or other unions.
Those big banks paid back the government. There were strings attached to those loans regarding salary/bonus so the big banks paid them back. That wasn't taxpayer money given out with those bonuses.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I don't know..... I know the teachers are paid decent with good benefits, but this is Chicago we are talking about..... a pretty ghetto and violent city (3....2...1.... before some Liberal idiot calls me a racist...) and there are tons of broken families with tons of gangs and drugs and liberals making excuses for these things..... so I do sympathize with the teachers some

If we could find a way to get the family unit to be more stable (I don't care if it is 2 same sex parents or a heterosexual couple), you will find schools to be MUCH better and teachers jobs more enjoyable and everyone would win

Lots of forces at work to help break families apart here in America though....
I don't think there is any item in the teacher demands to improve student home life.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think there is any item in the teacher demands to improve student home life.
Probably not...... but that is one of the big reasons kids fail is because of bad upbringing and unstable home life

Most of the time, a teacher has little control over that

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So what? For hundreds of years people have taught school in buildings that are not air conditioned. My kids went to school in Kansas (just as hot as Chicago if not more) in the 90s in buildings that were not air conditioned, although through the years they did put AC in all the schools. If they hadn't, they would have survived. For the first few weeks of school it was hot and if the temperature was excessive, they would do half days.

Did the teachers know when they took the jobs that the schools were not air conditioned?
So dees kids, r supposed ta do der readin' n' cipherin' in da heat?

How aboot dem der new fangled contrapshuns called campewters? Dey don' tek kindly to da heat I heer.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Probably not...... but that is one of the big reasons kids fail is because of bad upbringing and unstable home life

Most of the time, a teacher has little control over that
Yes I know that and totally agree. But that item is always overlooked.
I'm in schools that are typically 80% or more poor and I see what goes on.
It's a joke to think educators can ignore that and students can forget that between the hours of 8am to 4pm and that students are all "equal" during the school day.

But they do. If a kid fails it's the teacher's fault. And I've seen several good teachers throw in the towel these last 2 school years because as NCLB AYP gets closer to 100% the harder the admistration comes down on the teachers to "get the kids to pass".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies