Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So dees kids, r supposed ta do der readin' n' cipherin' in da heat?

How aboot dem der new fangled contrapshuns called campewters? Dey don' tek kindly to da heat I heer.
Might as well. There was no air conditioning when I went to school, and I did fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
How come there is no demand for a recall on Rahm over this teacher strike ?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh ok. Didn't realize you were responding.
And yes I agree. I can't believe that a 16% raise is not good enough. 16% in these time isn't good enough. I had to read that twice as I thought it was a typo.
No one has responded to your multiple posts about the city being flat broke. That's really what it's all about.

If you're broke, you can't give a raise. It's not that hard to understand.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No one has responded to your multiple posts about the city being flat broke. That's really what it's all about.

But they got raises. It isn't supposed to be money for their own pockets that they are striking for. It is this kind of strike that I never liked teacher unions for.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

For some reason the left don't want to deal with the "no more money" issue.
I also noticed that my posts about the financial situation got skipped over.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
I must say that if any district in Florida offered its teachers a 16% salary increase over 3 years, teachers in that district would be dancing in the streets.

Miami-Dade teachers haven't seen a salary increase in 4 years...and there's no hope for one in the foreseeable future.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Unless you are a teacher you have no idea what teachers deal with on a day to day basis. Why anyone would want to become a teacher with the low pay they receive is beyond me. Teachers don't get into this profession to become rich. They do it because they care. But no one seems to appreciate them and just blame them for everything.

Apparently "caring" doesn't involve the kids.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It is difficult for a parent working a job without the benefits and tenure protection of a teaching job in Chicago to be sympathetic.

Romney would do well to say he is carefully looking at this issue. Rahter than make sweeping comments that show him up to be woefully uninformed about education in this country. Chicago is a microcosm of our country's problems with education.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Romney, once again ... doesn't know what he's talking about. The teachers have seemed to acted very responsibly. Just one example: an independent arbitrator ruled the city was obligated to increase their pay so substantially high, that they were entited to the higher wages because of abuses fostered by the Chicago Board of Education and for other factors, that the Union turned this down because of the financial burden it would place on the city. The teachers won their arbitration. Hands down. They and the city have been involved in honest collective bargaining. The City and its taxpayers have their financial problems. The teachers are entitled to more. Let the collective bargaining system work, as the law provides for. First and foremost, I think the teachers have had the children's interests amongst the most important they're dealing with. The people who care for and teach our children are important. That's where Willard Romney and I disagree. I believe education is important.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Another tough choice for Obama. Unions or the kids

He will get back to you after his meeting on the iPad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies