Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

You're at work and your Muslim co-worker tells you the following:
Quote:
“her people were dying for Allah every day; that she was ready to die for Allah; that this whole country will be Muslim soon; that this country is full of non-believers and that this place (her work place) is full of non-believers; that all unbelievers should die; that her life starts after death; that her life is not here, nobody pays attention to her and she should pick up a gun and shoot all these people.”
Police arrest the co-worker for attempted terrorism.

A prominent local lawyer (who does not represent the arrested) says police were right to act, but they may have gone overboard since the case has a religious component.

If someone of a religion which calls for jihad, which is known for terrorist attacks around the world, makes a statement like she did to a co-worker, is it not attempted terrorism? How could the lawyer even try and spin this around citing a religious component -- when all along the religion is misinterpreted by some to require death to infidels, and picking up a gun and shooting people falls in line with that?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

A prominent local lawyer (who does not represent the arrested) says police were right to act, but they may have gone overboard since the case has a religious component.

If someone of a religion which calls for jihad, which is known for terrorist attacks around the world, makes a statement like she did to a co-worker, is it not attempted terrorism? How could the lawyer even try and spin this around citing a religious component -- when all along the religion is misinterpreted by some to require death to infidels, and picking up a gun and shooting people falls in line with that?

An attempt at terrorism would imply that they had the means to commit a terrorist act, and also that they were caught in the process of trying to commit that act.

How many times do people on this forum make comments in jest about killing "liberals" or "illegals" or other groups they deem undesirable? Should they be arrested for attempted murder?

What she said may have been stupid, hateful, intimidation, threatening, racist, insane, and generally horrible, but it does not constitute, nor was it, an attempt.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 09-09-2012 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:

What about this religion that calls for the death of non believers?

Quote:
And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.
Quote:
Whoever sacrifices to any god, other than the Lord alone, shall be devoted to destruction
Quote:
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Quote:
12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely,[a] both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt

Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What about this religion that calls for the death of non believers?
As with any religion, there are extremists who have religious leaders who interpret religious doctrine to match their agenda. These zealots might look see Sura 9.5 "Kill Kuffar wherever you find them." and act.

Your question answered, let's return to the subject. A Muslim person makes frightening comments to a co-worker only days before the 11 anniversary of a terrible, Muslim led terrorist attack on US soil. This person is arrested and charged with a felony -- attempted terrorism. A prominent local attorney tries to spin this into a religious incident.

Is it religious, or is it a statement meant to terrorize anyone who heard it?

Given workplace violence, terrorism on US territory, should the person who uttered those phrases be held as attempted terrorist or as a potential workplace lunatic who might be on the verge?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:

That's not my interpretation at all of what the lawyer in your link said. He was saying the police were right to act but he thought the charge should be a class B felony instead of a class A felony because of the level of threat indicated. He didn't mention religion at all.

In a case like this, I would expect the employee to be fired for making threats. If the company involved police and pressed charges, from the little I know about the case and the law - I'd agree that it's a lesser charge. We had a similar situation (minus the religion component) at my workplace years ago and that employee was let go but no charges were filed.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Sounds like crazy talk, not attempted terrorism.

Part of the whole problem is that we're not accustomed to calling crazy talk by its right name when it's part of a religion.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Part of the whole problem is that we're not accustomed to calling crazy talk by its right name when it's part of a religion.
This is true; though religions are inherantly crazy, we probably shouldn't go down that road.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
That's not my interpretation at all of what the lawyer in your link said. He was saying the police were right to act but he thought the charge should be a class B felony instead of a class A felony because of the level of threat indicated. He didn't mention religion at all.

In a case like this, I would expect the employee to be fired for making threats. If the company involved police and pressed charges, from the little I know about the case and the law - I'd agree that it's a lesser charge. We had a similar situation (minus the religion component) at my workplace years ago and that employee was let go but no charges were filed.
I apologize as I forgot to include a second link I referred to which mentioned the religious component:

Threats Land Woman in Jail, Charged with Attempted Terrorism - Nashville Public Radio

Quote:
The prominent Nashville defense attorney does not represent Abdullahi. He says police were right to act, but they may have gone overboard since the case has a religious component.

“I just think the charge of attempted terrorism was way over what was actually done here.”
I don't disagree with your interpretation of the article I placed in the 1st post. My shortcoming was forgetting to include the 2nd article which explains the basis for my questions.

Mea culpa.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Religious fundamentalism...

Quote:

... is a wonderful thing, is it not?

It negates thought and replaces it with hatred and intolerance.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I someone ever says that to me I will consider it to be an assault and press charges despite my initial surpressed emotional response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies