Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:47 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,660,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Get rid of anything that portrays "White privilege" ?

Are there that many immigrants in our schools that everyday American, not "White", acts shouldn't be mentioned ?
I wonder what she says about saying the Pledge every day.....

Sounds more to me like globalism.
So now cultural foods are a sign of "white privilege?" Modern day peanut butter was invented by George Washington Carver and now his legacy of his inventive foods is considered to be tinged with racism? How sad. The first complete book i ever read was the life story of George Washington Carver, all because my teacher asked if I wanted to read about the man who invented it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So now cultural foods are a sign of "white privilege?" Modern day peanut butter was invented by George Washington Carver and now his legacy of his inventive foods is considered to be tinged with racism? How sad. The first complete book i ever read was the life story of George Washington Carver, all because my teacher asked if I wanted to read about the man who invented it.
+1 for sheer brilliance.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,411,436 times
The Portland Tribune is a very bad newspaper in general, so bad that it's given away for free on street corners. It doesn't even half the readership that our local Alt-weekly has. Based on their history of bad reporting I would not be surprised if her statements were taken out of context by the author of the article.

But I do know that the Portland Public Schools are suffering hard. They've been saddled with so many years of thin budgets that school buildings are unsafe to use. They just laid off a significant portion of their staff this last year, but have record enrollments.

One of the biggest challenges for the North Portland schools is integration in general, much of it is an attempt to keep the gang problem under control. Portland has seen huge growth in Latino based gangs in the past five years who are competing with the traditional Black Gangs from LA. This has resulted in a higher then usual murder rate for the past couple of years, not to mention increased crime rates.

Teaching acceptance and stomping down on racism in general is a good effective first step in keeping vulnerable kids out of the gangs.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ironically, buying lobster from the store isn't cheap by any means
I think that was the point!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
Please, someone just took their whole "Multi-Cultural" education class way too seriously. Great, let's just take all traces of any type of culture out of all lessons. What do we have left? No diversity.

It is only "racism" and lack of diversity when we use a "PB Sandwich" in a lesson. But not a bowl of rice?

Okay, guess what? ALL KIDS KNOW what a PB Sandwich is...black, white, yellow, brown, pink, orange, purple. Kids who don't speak a word of English, but are in an American school, know what it is...and love them. It is adults, and their own biases, that ruin things for kids.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 PM

52,547 posts, read 34,276,802 times
Quote:
that's what i learned in school too, but it's not true. a canuck invented peanut butter and received a patent in 1884.

Peanut butter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll betcha they don't celebrate "Talk like a Pirate Day" at that school

The Official site for International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19
Actually, they do. Talk Like a Pirate day originated in Portland and was heavily lampooned and advertised by the local media, local pirate groups, and the geeky element that infests this city.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The Portland Tribune is a very bad newspaper in general, so bad that it's given away for free on street corners. It doesn't even half the readership that our local Alt-weekly has. Based on their history of bad reporting I would not be surprised if her statements were taken out of context by the author of the article.

But I do know that the Portland Public Schools are suffering hard. They've been saddled with so many years of thin budgets that school buildings are unsafe to use. They just laid off a significant portion of their staff this last year, but have record enrollments.

One of the biggest challenges for the North Portland schools is integration in general, much of it is an attempt to keep the gang problem under control. Portland has seen huge growth in Latino based gangs in the past five years who are competing with the traditional Black Gangs from LA. This has resulted in a higher then usual murder rate for the past couple of years, not to mention increased crime rates.

Teaching acceptance and stomping down on racism in general is a good effective first step in keeping vulnerable kids out of the gangs.
So the way to calm irrational fears of racism and bigotry, is to turn peanut butter, and god knows what else, into examples of "white privilege?"

That's right boys and girls, get those chips on your shoulders primed and ready, because everything around us, no matter how innocent or innocuous it might appear, could just be an example of the cultural rot of white man's bigotry and white man's privilege.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
So the way to calm irrational fears of racism and bigotry, is to turn peanut butter, and god knows what else, into examples of "white privilege?"
Pretty sure what I said is that knowing the quality of reporting from the source that there is a lot more to the story and I would not be surprised to find that the original quote was taken out of context or cobbled together out of thin air.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's what i learned in school too, but it's not true. a canuck invented peanut butter and received a patent in 1884.

Peanut butter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carver refused to patent all but three of his inventions because he thought foods were natural gifts from god, and gave away all his discoveries, recipes and his inventive uses for food for free.

BTW, look at the accomplishments of this Canuck, and George Washington Carver. Carver's brilliance and inventiveness is astounding, and all this other guy is known for is patenting something that he very well may have gotten from Carver. I don't know this as fact, but a one-hit-wonder, compared to Carver? I'll go with Carver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies