Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Pretty sure what I said is that knowing the quality of reporting from the source that there is a lot more to the story and I would not be surprised to find that the original quote was taken out of context or cobbled together out of thin air.
just in case you took offense, those comments were directed at the school administrators, not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I have you all know that I grew up without Cheeseburgers. Now that I live in the US, I feel utterly oppressed by you white devils and your burgers. In fact, I feel so disenfranchised by the omnipresence of burgers that I cannot help but underperform at work.

Why do you hate me so much?
I guess I suffered reverse discrimination in MA when I was a young child. I never, ever, ever saw a taco (let alone knew the word!) until I was 14. Imagine living without tacos, burritos and other "Mexican" foods for all those years?

I guess folks decided that we Yankees didn't need 'that kind of food'. Too bad, it sure tastes good. (I hear that they now know of tacos in Massachusetts... I am glad they got out of the dark ages.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Actually, they do. Talk Like a Pirate day originated in Portland and was heavily lampooned and advertised by the local media, local pirate groups, and the geeky element that infests this city.
I have a doctors appointment on the 19th, I have to brush up on my Pirate speak. (There are actually websites that help with this. )

Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
just in case you took offense, those comments were directed at the school administrators, not you.
My deepest apologies, since you had quoted me, I had assumed you were countering my statement.

I will say that I have no kids in the school system, so I have no first hand knowledge of how the schools are. I do know a lot of people who work at PPS (I even interviewed for a tech job there years ago,) along with coworkers who have kids in that school system. I do know that the system is struggling heavily in general with decreased budgets all around, every year they try to get more money on the ballots and it seems like it's voted down every time.

Despite that, the Portland Public School system really does seem to have the kids best interest in mind. The Gang issue I alluded to is a huge concern. They "kicked out" fast food like food from the cafeterias, found that they saved a huge amount of money and used that to increase the quality and nutrition of food pretty drastically. You can see their menu's here: K-8 Lunch Menus - Nutrition Services - Portland Public Schools and if you're interested in more about the program in general: Portland Public Schools Stand Behind Fresh Foods

They've managed to increase graduation rates and test scores across the board in the past several years, while still allowing students flexibility in which schools they want to go to. There are a host of charter schools that are turning out highly motivated students who are mostly exceeding the standardized tests (which we all know are a whole new topic.)

It's not the greatest school around, but with their host of unique challenges I feel they're doing pretty good considering. That is partially why I call BS on the original article. It doesn't sound right to me, and after I noticed the source I was even more convinced that it was flat out wrong.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Uh oh....mentioning bananas might be racist "code". We are going to need to check your party affiliation before we call you racist though.
Yikes!!!! Maybe I should just stick my finger in the jar? I used to love the peanut butter and cheese sandwich crackers .

Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Carver refused to patent all but three of his inventions because he thought foods were natural gifts from god, and gave away all his discoveries, recipes and his inventive uses for food for free.

BTW, look at the accomplishments of this Canuck, and George Washington Carver. Carver's brilliance and inventiveness is astounding, and all this other guy is known for is patenting something that he very well may have gotten from Carver. I don't know this as fact, but a one-hit-wonder, compared to Carver? I'll go with Carver.
the timeline doesn't work. carver didn't start experimenting with peanuts until 1904 - 20 years after the first patent for peanut butter had been issued. another peanut butter patent was issued to kellog [of cereal fame] in the 1890s. the canuck couldn't possibly have gotten it from carver, since he patented the stuff when carver was only 20 years old.

i don't think the national peanut board is going to be making stuff up..

Peanut Fun Facts - National Peanut Board

Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Kids are gonna be scared to even talk soon. Maybe that is the goal to keep em all quiet since the ridilin they try and drug em all up on isn't doing the job?

"Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day. Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.
“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?†says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.
“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.â€
Guitierrez, along with all of Portland Public Schools’ principals, will start the new school year off this week by drilling in on the language of “Courageous Conversations,†the district-wide equity training being implemented in every building in phases during the past few years.
Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,†then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance."

http://portlandtribune.com/pt-rss/9-...rum-for-equity
One of the factors in my decision to retire.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the timeline doesn't work. carver didn't start experimenting with peanuts until 1904 - 20 years after the first patent for peanut butter had been issued. another peanut butter patent was issued to kellog [of cereal fame] in the 1890s. the canuck couldn't possibly have gotten it from carver, since he patented the stuff when carver was only 20 years old.

i don't think the national peanut board is going to be making stuff up..

Peanut Fun Facts - National Peanut Board
Europeans already have rocket powered spacecraft, personal computers, the automobile, the airplane, etc., can't we just let the Africans have peanut butter?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Yikes!!!! Maybe I should just stick my finger in the jar? I used to love the peanut butter and cheese sandwich crackers .
That was my favorite! Yummy. Uh oh, I'm black. Was that a "white privilege" treat I wasn't supposed to have? Please don't tell on me.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
To the OP.....aren't there more "pressing issues" we should be discussing before the election???????

The threads here are getting ABSURD!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
To the OP.....aren't there more "pressing issues" we should be discussing before the election???????

The threads here are getting ABSURD!!!!!!
It's a pretty important issue since this stuff is being pushed at a public school by a consulting group and the Principal is buying it hook line and sinker and turning her job into something it isn't supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies