Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,880,646 times

Advertisements

One look at this forum shows that most people, especially right wingers, are unable to do even the most basic critical thinking skills to question a source in order to determine if it is valid and fact based or if it is just spinning bs to prop up an agenda.

Simply giving people more information doesn't help especially when a large portion of that information is false. They need to be able to think critically so they can decern truth from falsehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,117,918 times
1. There are people that just aren't interested in learning anything. They weren't interested in school and they aren't interested now. They don't know that they are uneducated because everyone they know seems to be on the same level.

2. And then there are people who think that they already know everything. We have all met some like that, haven't we!!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,084,419 times
B/c it hurts to think. The problem w/ all this access to information is that you can always find something that justifies/supports any & every stupid thought.

For example, PPP just did a poll asking "Who do you think deserves more credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden: Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?”

Obama...
Very Liberal: 81%
Somewhat Liberal: 89%
Moderate: 77%
Somewhat Conservative: 42%
Very Conservative: 34%

Seriously?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,996,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

2. And then there are people who think that they already know everything. We have all met some like that, haven't we!!!!
Are you talking about my wife?

Old 09-19-2015, 12:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,137,217 times
Critical thinking. It comes from a basic school education, not from the internet.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:40 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,122,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
B/c it hurts to think. The problem w/ all this access to information is that you can always find something that justifies/supports any & every stupid thought.

For example, PPP just did a poll asking "Who do you think deserves more credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden: Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?”

Obama...
Very Liberal: 81%
Somewhat Liberal: 89%
Moderate: 77%
Somewhat Conservative: 42%
Very Conservative: 34%

Seriously?
Its this kind of thing that leaves people in other countries shaking their heads.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,255,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Makes no sense. Ease of access and magnitude of information availability should mean that people are getting smarter not dumber. What is going on in this nation?
Low expectations without consequences until they look for work.
Bad parenting.
Selfish parents with no time.
No sense of shame and a good dose of undeserved ego concerning themselves.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,514,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Despite having access to much more information nowadays, why are people dumber?

Because they also have access to much more misinformation and many are unable to distinguish between the two.
So true. Accessing misinformation forces some people to demand that people believe it really is true that President Obama is a Muslim, who was born in Kenya.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:08 PM

18,132 posts, read 15,536,989 times
Quote:
Makes no sense. Ease of access and magnitude of information availability should mean that people are getting smarter not dumber. What is going on in this nation?
Access to all that information. Yea, ask a question, the answer (s) are at ones fingertips. However, the electronic age has ushered in a beast, as well. Instead of going out in search of things, people accept what pops up on the screen, and call it good. No need to actually experience something. What's on the screen tells you what its like, what it is, and, who needs to know more. Besides, gotta text Mom (who's in the next room) and find out if lunch is ready.

People have "relationships" with each other, without ever having met. All of it via text, e mail, sending pics, etc. And, they actually become so emotionally "involved" , a "breakup" drives them to suicide. The day someone e I've never even met, can crawl THAT far j side my head, let alone my heart, and I've never even seen them, with my own eyes, I would WANT to die. Being electronically connected, to everything, has stolen peoples souls.

People rave and rant, about the "dangers" of this that and the other. Guns, drugs, swimming pools, wtfe. Ban this , that or the other, save lives by doing so, on and on it goes. Why? Because they saw it on the internet, and now they're an expert. No need to actually have an experience, of any kind, with the issue they're raving about. Who needs , firsthand, knowledge, let alone experience and, dare I say, ..wisdom. Its like a bad joke, something out of a movie. I've bad people, on here, who , admittedly, never been further from home than their work, (if they have a job) try and tell me what places I have actually been to, lived in, really experienced, are like. Really?!

Read it on the internet. Never been there, but, there's no way that things are actually that way. People are substituting, real world experience and hands on, for what pops up on their screen. And , treating that as reality. Its frightening. People are so plugged in, they can't think for themselves.

Smart phone and computers are becoming a physical part of people. Their brains can't work, without being jacked in. If they have go change a tire, they have to Google how to do it. People can't problem solve, and think through something, without having the ability to access a path, online. Think I'm crazy? Fine. When you walk out the door, tomorrow morning, leave your smart phone. Deliberately, leave it on your nightstand, or whatever. Spend your day without being connected.I do it. Regular.

When I come home, the thing has blown up with calls, texts, what have you, with various people wanting to know why they couldn't get ahold of me. Why? Cuz I didn't want to be got hold of. Wanted to be left alone. Its amazing, how many people just can't understand that. Why would anyone want to be out of touch? Unplugged. Hell, I might have run out of gas, or needed to wipe my azz. Who knows what could have happened?! Sbeesh...get over it. Unplugged from the information main frame, one might actually learn something.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,193,087 times
Quote:
Technology is the reason why.

Calculator..don't have to know math.
Radio/TV..don't have to read.

Social media is totally accepting of incorrect spelling/grammar/made up words..don't have to be smart.

Just like our bodies are becoming obese from lack of movement, our minds are becoming blank from lack of brain work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies