Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM

537 posts, read 819,207 times

Advertisements

Since someone already did a thread called "Reasons people switch from liberal to conservative; and conservative to liberal," I decided to check it out. Finding it to be full of the typical rabid partisanship and the narrowminded stereotyping by the idiots that plague this site, I decided I make a more intelligent and reasoned thread as to why people switch sides.

My theories:
1.) Someone else said something to sway them: I think the biggest reason a liberal would become a conservative or vice versa, is because someone on the other side of the aisle made a decent point as to why they believed what they believed, or why they opposed what they opposed.
2.) Extremists from their own side scared them away: Someone might switch sides because some idiot on their side said something ridiculously idiotic or fanatical. A liberal saying all conservatives hate women, or a conservative saying all liberals hate God, are both examples of blind partisan rhetoric that would frighten away the more open-minded and reasonable members of their party.
3.) Views change over time: A person's views can change over time. Perhaps someone starts out as a liberal but overtime becomes a conservative, or vice versa, due to their experiences in life.

I really want an intelligent discussion without any partisanship, stereotyping, or generalizations being made here. We're all civilized adults here, I'm pretty sure we can find a way to behave as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
People just see the government unions in action and government bloated as hell.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
They put down the doobie and grow a brain. Why do you think the democrats are so pro pot?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
I admit I'm a lifelong Democrat, but I've voted Republican several times in local elections, and twice in general elections. It would have been three times if McCain had been the nominee in 2000. Sometimes moderates overlap and obscure the line to the point where you choose the man rather than his policy.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
I've usually tended to be more pro-Republican when the Dems are in power, and vice versa. But post-9/11 and Iraq, I can't envision voting for another Republican for national office, unless Ron Paul supporters take over the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies