Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

I keep trying to find out what that word means as is concerning our military. Seriously, I believe that the establishment GOP Congressmen, led by John Boehner made a sad deal with the Democrats and Obama concerning sequestration concerning our military. The deal seems to have been if the Super Committee couldn't find a way to settle the national debt we would go to sequestration at the beginning of 2013. Well any fool knew that committee would never settle anything and now we are preparing to sequester military money to the tune of $60 billion dollars. How will that effect the grandest military in the world. Well according to one Senator in 10 years we would have 232 war ships in the Navy. Smaller Navy than at any time since 1915. Our Army would be the smallest it has been since 1940 when nobody was afraid to attack the US, and the Air Force would be non-estistant since it was formed in the late 1940s.

I see sequestration as a plan to weaken this nation to the point of total inability to defend itself let alone our allies. Obama wins in this situation and another four years of this crap would do away with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I keep trying to find out what that word means as is concerning our military. Seriously, I believe that the establishment GOP Congressmen, led by John Boehner made a sad deal with the Democrats and Obama concerning sequestration concerning our military. The deal seems to have been if the Super Committee couldn't find a way to settle the national debt we would go to sequestration at the beginning of 2013. Well any fool knew that committee would never settle anything and now we are preparing to sequester military money to the tune of $60 billion dollars. How will that effect the grandest military in the world. Well according to one Senator in 10 years we would have 232 war ships in the Navy. Smaller Navy than at any time since 1915. Our Army would be the smallest it has been since 1940 when nobody was afraid to attack the US, and the Air Force would be non-estistant since it was formed in the late 1940s.

I see sequestration as a plan to weaken this nation to the point of total inability to defend itself let alone our allies. Obama wins in this situation and another four years of this crap would do away with us.
I see that nobody here seems to know what sequestration is and how it can hurt our military. I wonder how many know that it came from a deal between Obama and Boehner. It depended on that Super Committee that never had a chance to work but will destroy our military in a couple of years. That should make many here very happy.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-13-2012 at 05:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Sequestration means we go into 2 modes of budget lock-down:

1) Cut new defense orders
2) Automatic cuts to current defense orders

This policy will drastically hurt the Defense contractors the most. Which will hurt innovation and intellectual capital, thus hurting the Military. A company like Lockheed Martin who gets 80% of its revenue from the Government will have to cut major projects and employees...(Engineers) by the 10's of thousands.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 PM

629 posts, read 771,375 times
isnt there also equal cuts in entitlements. I'd take the cuts in defense to watch some of these lazy arses scramble to find a job a McDs to feed there families

Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

This policy will drastically hurt the Defense contractors the most. Which will hurt innovation and intellectual capital, thus hurting the Military. A company like Lockheed Martin who gets 80% of its revenue from the Government will have to cut major projects and employees...(Engineers) by the 10's of thousands.
Go ahead and read the OP so maybe you can see just why you like this thing. Of course, all the jobs would bring our unemployment to numbers we can't stand to have, but so many of you leaners will be happy about it.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
isnt there also equal cuts in entitlements. I'd take the cuts in defense to watch some of these lazy arses scramble to find a job a McDs to feed there families
When you cut the military so that the Army slowly becomes the smallest it has been since 1940 maybe you will understand just how silly this is. Will we be able to buy many more defensive airplanes with that $60 billion less per year? I think not but maybe we won't need anybody to defend our embassies or even our nation because you people will be so happy.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

The problem, for me, about this thing is that John Boehner agreed with the Obama people to strap us with that agreement although everybody knew that the Super Committee wouldn't work out anything. Our leaders from the right who are establishment are to be blamed for the place we will find ourselves if this ever gets wound out.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times
The sequestration calls for cuts in both military and social programs. It was passes by congress (with the support of many Republicans--McCain, Ryan, etc.) in order to force themselves to take action and come to an agreement on what should be cut from the budget if the Supercommittee failed to reach an agreement.

Unless they come up with a compromise agreement b4 the end of the year, these cuts will automatically take place. No excuse for this not being worked out b4 it came to sequestration, and ABSOLUTELY no excuse to not come to an agreement b4 the first of the year.

I don't care if they have to work nights, weekends and holidays, but they won't.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
The sequestration calls for cuts in both military and social programs. It was passes by congress (with the support of many Republicans--McCain, Ryan, etc.) in order to force themselves to take action and come to an agreement on what should be cut from the budget if the Supercommittee failed to reach an agreement.

Unless they come up with a compromise agreement b4 the end of the year, these cuts will automatically take place. No excuse for this not being worked out b4 it came to sequestration, and ABSOLUTELY no excuse to not come to an agreement b4 the first of the year.

I don't care if they have to work nights, weekends and holidays, but they won't.
They just came back from a holiday to serve for 8 days and then take off to campaign. I don't sympathize with the establishment GOP people who allowed themselves to be taken in by this plan. Of course, the head RINO these days is McCain and I don't feel sorry for him at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies