Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times

Advertisements

If there was that many Americans on that plane I have no doubt that the rebels would be in the would of hurt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EAs6iVGvQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
If there was that many Americans on that plane I have no doubt that the rebels would be in the would of hurt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EAs6iVGvQ
That was a sad but wonderful video. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:12 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
War should be the last option...

Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post

Seeing the video and a few days earlier the whole precession on CNN as it reached Hilverum brought back memories of when I was in The Netherlands in 1970 and road on some of the same roads during a vacation trip by Coach from Amsterdam to Zurich via Germany. Schipol Airport was brand new and everything in the Netherlands was was tidy clean and the roads were perfect and looked as if they had been paved the day before. Now some 40 going on 50 years later, the roads are still perfect and I wonder if there is a single pothole patch anywhere in the country (I think they could teach us volumes about how to build and care for roads). The Dutch have their faults but are a decent people to the core and for this to happen to them is so sad. The Netherland population is 1/7 of Americas so a similar tragedy here would have taken nearly 1400 lives so this in magnitude is like 9/11. Americans need to remember that in 2001 the Dutch stood with us without having to be asked.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
As a Canadian, and in particular one who served in the Canadian Forces for thirty years................

I have nothing but the highest respect for the people of the Netherlands. They remember WHO it was who liberated their county, in the long ago times at the end of the Second World war. It was the Canadians, and we left 6691 of our guys buried in THEIR country.

They have a school program that sees EVERY 10 year old child, spend a whole school year, learning about a individual Canadian soldier who is buried in their local military grave yard. And tending to their grave, at least once a week, for an hour. They also have some "back yard graves " that are on the grounds of a private home, as that is where they were buried, when they died.

On a number of occasions, as a CF military police officer, I was stationed in Europe, doing personal protection for Canadian diplomats, and Ambassadors. In Holland, a Canadian soldier CANNOT buy a meal. or a drink in a bar. The Dutch won't let you......they will insist that they buy for you, as a Thank You for their Liberation in 1945. It was quite normal to be invited home for meal or to meet their Granma, who was alive in those horrible years of starvation and occupation.

I feel very sorry for their national loss.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,791 times
The Dutch have defended freedom, long before much the rest of the world. They provided refugee for Puritans from England. They fought a devastating war with Spain rather than allow the Inquisition, and were valiant warriors against the Nazis.

They deserved much much better with regard to this incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies