Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 PM

635 posts, read 539,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
what is it with republicans, its it that hard to acknowledge and accept that different races exist.
So you are saying they aren't racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,328 times
Quote:
are you kidding me with that sentence? Thats how this entire thread got started, that moron and alot you guys keep trying to say "there is no race except the human race." There is a bunch of ya'll claiming race doesn't exist. You're right, I'm not going to watch it. You keep wanting to believe "race" exist because society demands it, when you can look at people and see, my skin color is alot different than that other person. Its like you guys are afraid of labels or something and you want to have this complex discussion about something rather simple.
Oh, so I get it now, we are all morons and you have it all figured out.

If that's the case, then why are you on this thread making so many posts that "illuminate" the "simplicity" of race?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
I think these people are trying to pat themselves on the back, by saying they are truly colorblind or something. They think they are better people because they don't acknowledge that somebody is black and they want to feel good about themselves for doing so.
These people are just lying to themselves. They probably do/see/hear 10 things a day that they react to differently based on the race of whoever's doing it.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:46 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Oh, so I get it now, we are all morons and you have it all figured out.

If that's the case, then why are you on this thread making so many posts that "illuminate" the "simplicity" of race?
i called the OP a moron because he simply created thread asking a question where already had his predetermined answer.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
So you are saying they aren't racist?
are you kidding me, they think racism ended back in 1964.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
i called the OP a moron because he simply created thread asking a question where already had his predetermined answer.
So if you've done your part, then why are you over here arguing to a bunch of people who aren't as enlightened as you? That doesn't make much sense.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So if you've done your part, then why are you over here arguing to a bunch of people who aren't as enlightened as you? That doesn't make much sense.
because I'm allowed to be on this forum, and give my opinion. If you don't like it, ignore me.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
But we don't know the answer, and we won't so long as politically-correctards constantly interfere.

Not predetermined...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Race is not an illusion. It's misused when people try to talk about it as something biological, which it's not. There is a such thing as race, just like there is a such thing as ethnicity. Denying that it exists or that you don't see race is wrong.

The reason race exists is b/c people are treated differently based on how they look. It can be subtle, or it can be overt. You can explain it away as deserved or racism. The fact is that people of different races have different experiences b/c of how they're viewed and treated by other people.
It goes much deeper than outward appearance/skin color.

The concept of race isn't much different than religion or nations. It is rather benign, until people start with the stupid stuff like my religion (or nation) is better than yours; superior to yours; or I get special rights and privileges because I am of this religion (or nation).

Not illusory....

Mircea

Quote:
No one's claiming race doesn't exist. It exists as a social construction in which historical processes have crafted the contours by which we define it. It exists as a system of categorization based on arbitrary phenotypical differences, which are rather superficial.

Again, missing the point.

Perhaps you should watch this movie, which would probably serve as an explanation.

RACE - The Power of an Illusion | PBS

I don't expect you to watch it, but I wanted to offer you another source rather than a bunch of folks on C-D whom you obviously aren't intuiting what we're writing.
And why would I waste my time watching anything produced by the Politically-Correct Broadcasting System?

Quote:
I stated this fact to point out how arbitrary racial classifications are.

Here's a scenario from history:
Your scenario would be fascinating if it was even remotely relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Biologically, "race" is quite meaningless.
Wrong.

If what you said was true, then there would be no possible way to identify race by looking at skeletons.

Quote:
You're missing the point. Black, white, yellow, red, etc. are all arbitrary categorizations whose definitions change over time.
Nice Straw Man.

If what you said was true, then there would be no possible way to identify race by looking at skeletons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Just b/c there's no biological basis for race doesn't mean there's no social basis for race.
There is a biological basis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, the first usage of the term "race" was during the 16th century.
So you're saying Earth is only 400 years old?

You might want to pop in to your local public library and start reading The Journal of Ancient Near Eastern Texts, which publishes translations of clay tablets written in Sumerian, Akkadian and Elbaite from more than 5,500 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
...The division is a a cultural idea, not a biological fact. Therein lies the difference.
Wrong.

Quote:
Humanity needs to outgrow the "race" idea, just like we outgrew the "civilized man vs savage man" idea of the last century.
Wrong.

We need to find the Truth, whatever that might be, however ugly the Truth might be, however much we might hate the Truth and however much we might be offended by the Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is no such thing as "race." The taxonomic categories are Domain, Kingdom, Division or Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species. "Race" only exists in the deluded minds of bigots.
And medical examiners and anthropologists who use race to identify and classify skeletal remains.

Quote:
Oh for the love of god.

WE are ALL one! You can bang any member of any given race of the opposite sex and make a baby which can in turn grow up and make a baby. That is the scientific definition of a SPECIES.

WE ARE 1 SPECIES!!!!
I'll wait for you to post definitive proof of that.

Quote:
Race: an arbitrary separation of individuals of the same species based entirely on minor cosmetic differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The best basic definition so far.

I would also add that the concept of race has no basis in science and that anthropologists do not use race when classifying humans.

And medical examiners and anthropologists who use race to identify and classify skeletal remains.

All of you have a lot to learn.

Defining...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
I think the word "race" is vague. It's used to classify people mostly based on looks. The trouble is that there are several human population groups (and individuals) that can't be fit neatly into boxes. Examples: Blonde Melanesians, Ainu people of Japan, Aeta of the Philippines. Things become more complicated upon analysis of the genotypes of these people. Your phenotype doesn't tell the whole story.
Thank you for having both the Critical Thinking skills and the Courage to step outside-the-box for just a second.

Thanking...

Mircea

Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Had Mircea actually clicked on the link, he'd have discovered that the movie title I posted was produced by California Newsreel--a production company distinct from PBS. And, Mircea, I didn't post it for you.

Postingly...

Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Yes, you can be black and irish, its rare, but it can exist. Irish are not only white, thats tends to be the case, but you can be black and irish.
Black Irish are not black. They are also called "Dark Irish" because they have dark hair, brown eyes and medium skin tone; or dark hair, blue or green eyes and fair skin tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies