Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I have yet to find one. I think its something entirely made up.

What is race and what components does it classify?
in general, the term "race" is obsolete, particularly if a species is uniformly distributed on a territory. In its modern scientific connotation, the term is not applicable to a species as genetically homogeneous as the human one, as stated in the declaration on race (UNESCO 1950).natural species

Genetic studies have substantiated the absence of biological borders, thus the term "race" has de facto disappeared from the scientific terminology, both in biological anthropology and in human genetics.

What in the past had been defined as "races"—e.g., whites, blacks, or Asians—are now defined as "ethnic groups" or "populations", in correlation with the field (sociology, anthropology, genetics) in which they are considered.

I think we should all write in......"HUMAN race"...since that is the race we ALL are

no more statusfying things

that is why 'hispanic' or spanish is not condidered a race

remember most of those that you call "most Hispanics in the U.S." are actually decendend from the orgiganal americans (north/centran/south) that crossed the area know as the bering straight...and they are a branch of the mongoloids or asians....the reason for them speaking a off shoot of spanish is the spanish (Spain) conquest of the world

me, I am a mutt, mostly italian and spanish (Spain) and some indian, and some black.....and I look white

my wife is 100% spanish...from Spain...and she is very white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
200 yard dash.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
200 yard dash.
You need to watch the Michael Johnson documentary he did for the BBC.

Because according to him, it is very likely that race is not the factor, but more specifically Africans who were enslaved and brought to the Americas and Jamaica.

They seem to have a common "fast gene" that other black people lack...

interesting vid...

Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
It almost seems like you people are afraid to acknowledge that we're different. You got one poster trying to sound like he is a professor of ethinicity, with his, race is obselete and we're different ethnic groups, and we should all write human race. Your posts screams "overthinking the room". There are different races, whites, blacks, asians, mexicans, latinos, etc. What is complicated about, and what is wrong with acknowledging that. I'm black, I have white friends, asians friends, asian neighbors, they are a different race. Its not hard to accept that.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
It almost seems like you people are afraid to acknowledge that we're different. You got one poster trying to sound like he is a professor of ethinicity, with his, race is obselete and we're different ethnic groups, and we should all write human race. Your posts screams "overthinking the room". There are different races, whites, blacks, asians, mexicans, latinos, etc. What is complicated about, and what is wrong with acknowledging that. I'm black, I have white friends, asians friends, asian neighbors, they are a different race. Its not hard to accept that.
over thinking???

well...hmmm

Genetic studies have substantiated the absence of biological borders, thus the term "race" has de facto disappeared from the scientific terminology, both in biological anthropology and in human genetics.

What in the past had been defined as "races"—e.g., whites, blacks, or Asians—are now defined as "ethnic groups" or "populations", in correlation with the field (sociology, anthropology, genetics) in which they are considered.

that's why RACE is of the HUMAN races

I am a mutt...does that make me RACELESS????

Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
So i'm guessing this going to be one of thsoe feel good threads were everybody comes in says we're all one race, "THE HUMAN RACE" YYYYYYEEEEEAAAA, and then were all going to have ice cream and talk about how race is just some artifical abstract and that our blood is still the same.
Oh for the love of god.

WE are ALL one! You can bang any member of any given race of the opposite sex and make a baby which can in turn grow up and make a baby. That is the scientific definition of a SPECIES.

WE ARE 1 SPECIES!!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:

Race = (NHRA-AHRA) 2 cars side by side attempting to get to the end of the dragstrip, one ahead of the other.

NASCAR - Multiple cars trying to get to finish line, one ahead of the other.

Can also apply to Bikes, Motorcycles, F-1, footrace, etc etc etc

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:

There is no such thing as "race." The taxonomic categories are Domain, Kingdom, Division or Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species. "Race" only exists in the deluded minds of bigots.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
The term "race" made sense when human movement and migration were limited. These days, it's an idiotic and antiquated term that has just about no meaning.

What race are you, when you are mixed? And what mixture do you have to have in order to qualify as one race over another? Are you black if you have 10% African blood in you. Or does it need to be 25%? Or 50%? Or is it all about skin color? Why aren't you white if African blood only takes up part of your mix? And what, exactly, is African blood?

Are you hispanic if you were born in Latin America? Or Asian if you were born there? Or is it facial features that are important? How about hair type?

This is simply a pointless label that was used to categorize people into "good" and "inferior." Time to move on.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Oh for the love of god.

WE are ALL one! You can bang any member of any given race of the opposite sex and make a baby which can in turn grow up and make a baby. That is the scientific definition of a SPECIES.

WE ARE 1 SPECIES!!!!
that still doesn't mean there aren't different races. I'm black, my wife is white, last time I checked that made us different races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies