Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Just b/c there's no biological basis for race doesn't mean there's no social basis for race.
That's the very point. It is an illusion some people seem to love and need for whatever reason. And when they can't put people into such a drawer, they start to fight over it as can be witnessed in all those threads and posts where people say Obama is white or he is black. They don't like it when there is someone that simply can't be filed into any drawer. That messes up their simply view of an orderly world
I guess below all that is the wish to associate the race and thus every member of that race with positive and negative characteristics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
You're missing the point. Black, white, yellow, red, etc. are all arbitrary categorizations whose definitions change over time. A case in point is that the Irish in America were once considered to be non-white regardless of the color of their skin. Now, Americans of Irish descent are considered to be white.

Of course, I don't expect you to get the point based on the dogmatism exhibited in your rantings, er uh, postings.
Can someone who is Black Irish call themselves "black" even though they are "white?"

Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
You're missing the point. Black, white, yellow, red, etc. are all arbitrary categorizations whose definitions change over time. A case in point is that the Irish in America were once considered to be non-white regardless of the color of their skin. Now, Americans of Irish descent are considered to be white.

Of course, I don't expect you to get the point based on the dogmatism exhibited in your rantings, er uh, postings.
ok, so now their called white, whats the issue? You can have a white guy and he can be irish, what's so complex about that?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Can someone who is Black Irish call themselves "black" even though they are "white?"
Yes, you can be black and irish, its rare, but it can exist. Irish are not only white, thats tends to be the case, but you can be black and irish.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
this goes to my major point, you believe that mentioning that somebody is X is talking behind their back, so it seems like you are scared to mention race. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I would say "I'm black" to another black person, so I'll just ignore that. Race hardly ever comes up in most of conversations with people, but I don't avoid it like the black plague, nor do I believe I'm talking behind someboy's back because I say he/she is white.
Again, I am in my 40s and I can't remember a single conversation where I mentioned or should have mentioned someone else's race. I have noticed that that seems to be a very American issue, that whole obsession with race and genealogy. I always find it so odd when I listen to a Bobby Caldwell song on Youtube and see all those comments where people are saying, gee, he is white, I always thought he was black

Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
you call it ficitious, the rest of society will call it real life.
So popularity of a given thing is "real" and unpopular things are not? In other words, popularity determines authenticity? Is that your contention?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Biologically, "race" is quite meaningless.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's the very point. It is an illusion some people seem to love and need for whatever reason. And when they can't put people into such a drawer, they start to fight over it as can be witnessed in all those threads and posts where people say Obama is white or he is black. They don't like it when there is someone that simply can't be filed into any drawer. That messes up their simply view of an orderly world
I guess below all that is the wish to associate the race and thus every member of that race with positive and negative characteristics.
Where are you getting this idea that people love to put people in a box? The only people struggling with race are you guys. Who is fighting over the race of Obama? I haven't seen any article where the media is trying to define his race. I haven't seen Fox, msnbc, cnn, or cnbc dedicate one minute to decide is he black or white. For the bolded, you make it seem like its some huge discussion everyday on whether somebody is black or white. Nobody is doing that. If we see a black guy, we can acknowledge he is black, and then we move on. We can see mitt is white, and then we move on.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:06 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
See thats the thing.

Irish is a nationality.

Black is _____ could be anything. Or it could just mean Black American because blacks come from all different countries.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, I am in my 40s and I can't remember a single conversation where I mentioned or should have mentioned someone else's race. I have noticed that that seems to be a very American issue, that whole obsession with race and genealogy. I always find it so odd when I listen to a Bobby Caldwell song on Youtube and see all those comments where people are saying, gee, he is white, I always thought he was black
congrats, you've never talked about race, it still exist. You may try to live in a world where race doesn't exist, but back here on planet earth, it exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies