Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,353,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Government tells doctors who they can't and can't see based on whether or not they serve patients under the Medicare/Medicaid system. True or false?

Doctors are like everyone else. Some are greedy, some aren't. If they want business, they would price the product (their service) within reason - otherwise, someone else would come along and undercut them. It's called competition.
I am not exactly sure how doctors work with the government programs directly. Perhaps it is similar to the way my company does where the doctor has to establish a contract with the government before the doctor can take medicaid or medicare patients.

Never the less, medicare and medicaid have the absolute largest provider network in the nation. The government limits their access to doctors far less than your typical insurance company. Downside of this is that the patients tend to have higher out of pocket costs. That is where my company comes in, where they can trade their medicare or medicaid for an advantage program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 AM

37,162 posts, read 42,320,726 times
Quote:
And are you crazy in suggesting getting rid of employer based insurance plans? Employers do a lot to negotiate the price of insurance down for their employees.
Imagine if we pooled the whole country and negotiated a good rate for everyone...

Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,478,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Guess what, them people now getting 38 hours a week will be getting 28 and having to buy insurance or pay a fine.
Thats right so that is what obama has accomplished cutting part timers hours! Bravo fool!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Thats right so that is what obama has accomplished cutting part timers hours! Bravo fool!
so true !!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,652,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Yup. Does anyone think that Walmart will give full time benefits to all those people working 30-33 hours ?
34 hours is full time status for Walmart. I don't think so. Instead Walmart is going to bump them down to 29 hours.

Nice work. The poor just got that much poorer.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,240,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..a kid is still a kid until 26 and full time work is now 30 hours a week.

Those poor employers with part time people are so screwed.
This administration has changed a lot of rules on us.

So now instead of employers keeping people to under 40 hours a week they are going to change tactics and keep people under 30 hours a week.
This will bode well for the economy and people's paychecks. The employers can still do it now though..they do have a 12 month leeway here.
But Democrats will tell us that the economy is improving because you'll have 3 jobs, and not 2..

Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,975,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It is not even possible for all members in a society to contribute equally. For every rich person, there must be 50 poor people working under them, yet those poor people probably put in just as much if not more hours into their jobs. Should those poor not have the same access to healthcare?

That isn't the case though. People do not work the same amount of time, at the same level of responsibility, etc... While I won't speak in absolutes (there may be "some" people who work excessive amounts of time with little return), the fact is most people who "earned" their wealth did so by working extreme hours. It is a myth created by class wars that attempts to compare the two as equally contributing.

I know many successful business people, execs, etc... and I can promise you the "average" worker wouldn't want to spend a day in their shoes. It is grueling and stressful work that requires extreme hours and responsibility.

As for healthcare, everyone has the same access. You are arguing for price fixing for people who may not or choose not to afford it. You would be surprised at how many people "can" afford it, but do not wish to make the sacrifices in other areas to do so. That is the problem here, people do not put in equal effort and so someone is going to get the short end of the stick when you "fix" the market.

Maybe you should look a bit closer at government involvement in the system. Each time government gets involved, prices go up. That is the nature of bureaucracies.

Last edited by Nomander; 09-13-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
At 26 you should be well into or starting a career by then. Not in your parents basement. 26 is not a child. 24 is not a child. 22 is not a child. You should be taking care of yourself for the most part by then.

Why cant you liberals realize what you are actually sacrificing in the false name of "compassion"? Are you blind on purpose or just so ignorant you dont realize what you're doing?
The ability to keep young adults on their parents' insurance until age 26 has become extremely popular. In another thread a while back, there was a list of RW members of congress who had their own kids on their plans. Many young adults are still in school, or working at low-wage jobs that don't even offer benefits. My daughter (age 25) has been on and off her own insurance several times since age 18.

Quote:
I know of one person who said he's going to go solo and just 1099 his help. He's giving up.
This was the small business guy that repaved my driveway. We got to talking. Said this was all just a complicated mess and he wasn't about to go out and hire an accountant because business was slow to begin with. Said the easiest thing to do was just have no employees and 1099 everyone and treat them as contractors.

The micro businesses won't hire at all..not even temp for the summer. It's all cash under the table with them now.
Get back to us when he actually does so.

Agreed! Many nurses work 36 hrs FT, 3-12 hour shifts/wk.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Yes that's right. My SIL is the perfect example. She thinks all this preventative care is now "free" because she doesn't have to make a co-payment. Well how much did her premium go up ?
And how much did she used to spend in co-pays over the course of a year ?

ROFL..she's paying $50 more per month with her "free" preventative healthcare than if she had her old plan back and made those $15 payments.
She didn't realize this because she never sat down and did the math.

On a bright note though..I just may have shut her up about her doctor visits for good
May I ever hear another ailment tale from this girl again.
From yesterday's paper:
Family health insurance rises 4 percent to $15,745 - Boulder Daily Camera

Quote:
The government will subsidize up to 95% of people's premiums.
Where will that money come from ?

Insurers had to make their pool of available money larger when the dependent age status changed.

My insurance has gone up 20% each year since Obamacare was passed. Before that it went up 10%.
Family health insurance rises 4 percent to $15,745 - Boulder Daily Camera

You're getting screwed. Find a new plan.

Quote:
How about illegals - you OK in those cases?

Why do you have to pay higher premiums because they don't pay? Are they punished for non-payment? They should be. Their negligence should have nothing to do with you and me. They need to be locked up. That will end that problem real quick.
Illegals are NOT included in the ACA.

Quote:
Go read the bill to see what's in it. I said "up to 95%" and it's based on your income and family size.
The government already put out charts showing income and % subsidized.
Key words, "UP TO".

Quote:
I really want to be able to support myself and family - and be able to provide for my own health issues. And if I need help, to ask friends/church members for help on a voluntary basis. I don't want money stolen from people to pay for my health care.

I understand the outrageous costs - but ObamaCare does nothing but shift around the burden of payment.

The costs of medical should not be as high as it is right now.

You want to make it more affordable, remove the government from the revenue stream. Get rid of employer based insurance plans. All of that is overhead. People pay doctors direct. Make insurance plans based on what people want for themselves. Do something with frivilous lawsuits. There are more things that can be done.
What do you think your friends/church could do for you in the event of overwhelming medical expenses? Perhaps you could borrow some money from a family member, and hopefully you would pay it back. (Repayment doesn't seem to happen too often according to everything you read.) Your church would probably bring you a few meals, give you some rides, not much more of a tangible nature.

Quote:
I need to go - so just some quick answers...

"removing the government from the revenue stream" - They are involved in how much care providers are being paid for their services. They are involved in which patients doctors can see. That affects the amount of revenue for the care providers.

Regarding employer plans - if they are so great - why not have them for auto insurance? I understand the pool concept to bring cost down. I want to focus on why costs are so high to begin with - because they shouldn't be.
Please explain. I thought any licensed physician in good standing could be a medicare or medicaid provider if s/he so chose.

Quote:
The government will subsidize up to 95% of people's premiums.
Where will that money come from ?

Insurers had to make their pool of available money larger when the dependent age status changed.

My insurance has gone up 20% each year since Obamacare was passed. Before that it went up 10%.
Quote:
How about illegals - you OK in those cases?

Why do you have to pay higher premiums because they don't pay? Are they punished for non-payment? They should be. Their negligence should have nothing to do with you and me. They need to be locked up. That will end that problem real quick.
Quote:
Go read the bill to see what's in it. I said "up to 95%" and it's based on your income and family size.
The government already put out charts showing income and % subsidized.
Quote:
I really want to be able to support myself and family - and be able to provide for my own health issues. And if I need help, to ask friends/church members for help on a voluntary basis. I don't want money stolen from people to pay for my health care.

I understand the outrageous costs - but ObamaCare does nothing but shift around the burden of payment.

The costs of medical should not be as high as it is right now.

You want to make it more affordable, remove the government from the revenue stream. Get rid of employer based insurance plans. All of that is overhead. People pay doctors direct. Make insurance plans based on what people want for themselves. Do something with frivilous lawsuits. There are more things that can be done.
Quote:
I need to go - so just some quick answers...

"removing the government from the revenue stream" - They are involved in how much care providers are being paid for their services. They are involved in which patients doctors can see. That affects the amount of revenue for the care providers.

Regarding employer plans - if they are so great - why not have them for auto insurance? I understand the pool concept to bring cost down. I want to focus on why costs are so high to begin with - because they shouldn't be.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,223,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
What do you bet that'll be 29 going forward?
Quote:
Yup. Does anyone think that Walmart will give full time benefits to all those people working 30-33 hours ?
34 hours is full time status for Walmart. I don't think so. Instead Walmart is going to bump them down to 29 hours.

Nice work. The poor just got that much poorer.
Good call.

That's exactly what will happen, especially in those jobs that are already part-time -- mostly restaurant and retail.

They'll cut everyone's hours, and perhaps hire another body to cover the drop. I'm sure everyone will be looking forward to an even greater reduction in household income.

Concurring...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Imagine if we pooled the whole country and negotiated a good rate for everyone...
Imagine a permanent unemployment rate of 10%-12%

Pooling...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies