Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I dont think it can get any more stupid than believing you will be granted 72 virgins in your after life if you die for or in the name of Allah.
Why is that more stupid than any other version of an afterlife?

Believing in an afterlife is more or less the same as believing you can run software without hardware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Why is that more stupid than any other version of an afterlife?

Believing in an afterlife is more or less the same as believing you can run software without hardware.
How exactly do know for certain there is no after life?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:35 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone would compair the ultra rare christian who violates his own religion and does something violent to the muslims that are now protesting around the world and killing people over some stupid usless, ultra poor quality film.

this is just weird.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
When was the last time a Christian killed anyone? I don't hear of these so called radical Christian groups going around killing people.
Does the name Srebrenica mean anything to you? How about Sabra and Shatila?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone would compair the ultra rare christian who violates his own religion and does something violent to the muslims that are now protesting around the world and killing people over some stupid usless, ultra poor quality film.

this is just weird.
These are things that mentally unstable people as well as primative people may do for their "God." Religion is usually not "rational."

Old 09-13-2012, 02:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
But the Muslims extremists are killing Americans, remember 9/11? I don't remember any Christian fundies killing groups of people. I couldn't care less about Terry Jones but I don't see people like him running for the school board to push their agenda.
Muslim extremists.

Not all Muslims are extremists.

A significant portion of the Q'ran is based on the Old Testament.

Islam is not the enemy of Christianity. Islam is the younger sibling to Christianity. Just as Christianity is the younger sibling to Judaism. They are all three the religious doctrines that stem from Abraham. Which is why they are called the Abrahamic religions. Judaism had its barbaric moments in history. Christianity has had its barbaric moments in history. And Islam has its barbaric moments. But as it is the youngest of the three, its violence and intolerance are readily seen. Terry Jones and the Westboro Church demonstrate that Christianity hasn't completely shed its intolerance either, but just as Judaism mellowed out over time, Christianity has mellowed, and Islam will mellow as well.

It's important to understand that when you have three religions that all have grown from the same source, that like real-life siblings, there is competition and rivalry between the three, and each of the three strive both to assert themselves as the best or most dominant, as the true religion, and the believers try to similary assert themselves, as the true believers, the ones who are the most devout, the ones who have the best understanding of God's message.

The extremists within each of the three become so passionate about what they believe, about what they think of as the truth, that they all have the potential for violence. Some simply have a greater opportunity to exercise that violence.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
I have no issue with mainstream Muslims but even many of the "moderate" Muslims really aren't.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Default Leave Terry Jones alone

I quite agree!

Some of his stuff hasn't been as funny since Monty Python split up but some of his history documentaries are excellent. Also his writing is of a very high quality and his poetry is well worth a look.

Last edited by Baldrick; 09-13-2012 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: "His name is Brian.... and he's been a very naughty boy!"

Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Even if he did, Christians/Catholics would not react like the extremists animals in the middle east. Mahers message in the movie is worse! He basically stated that millions upon millions of devoted people believe in a fairytail man that doesnt exists.
Maher simply gave the simpletons a chance to show how ignorant they were. The rest, they did themselves.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Muslim extremists.

Not all Muslims are extremists.

A significant portion of the Q'ran is based on the Old Testament.

Islam is not the enemy of Christianity. Islam is the younger sibling to Christianity. Just as Christianity is the younger sibling to Judaism. They are all three the religious doctrines that stem from Abraham. Which is why they are called the Abrahamic religions. Judaism had its barbaric moments in history. Christianity has had its barbaric moments in history. And Islam has its barbaric moments. But as it is the youngest of the three, its violence and intolerance are readily seen. Terry Jones and the Westboro Church demonstrate that Christianity hasn't completely shed its intolerance either, but just as Judaism mellowed out over time, Christianity has mellowed, and Islam will mellow as well.

It's important to understand that when you have three religions that all have grown from the same source, that like real-life siblings, there is competition and rivalry between the three, and each of the three strive both to assert themselves as the best or most dominant, as the true religion, and the believers try to similary assert themselves, as the true believers, the ones who are the most devout, the ones who have the best understanding of God's message.

The extremists within each of the three become so passionate about what they believe, about what they think of as the truth, that they all have the potential for violence. Some simply have a greater opportunity to exercise that violence.
considering Islam is about 600 years younger than Christianity, and nuclear weapons can end civilization, I dont think we have that kind of time to wait on Islam to "mature".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies