Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Gay is not a choice

Mental disorders never are by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenrichson View Post
It's pointless responding to this anymore, you can love someone but not like their actions, behaviour, beliefs etc, etc. I'm glad I don't live in your world where you aren't able to love someone because you believe something different than they do.
*sigh* homosexuality isn't an 'action'. Sexual orientation is part of who someone is - how they think, how they feel, who they love. A gay or lesbian person is still homosexual even if they are virgins or celebate. Just the way that heterosexuals are still heterosexual even if they are celebate or virgins.

Scientific evidence shows that gay and lesbian people have different brain structures to straight people. There is a body of evidence to suggest that this is formed while still in the uterus. This isn't really something that can be changed.

Please do some research on homosexuality for your son's sake. (From reputable health sources)

Do you really want him to pretend to be heterosexual and live a life of misery and lies?

Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait.

The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.

"This is the most robust measure so far of cerebral differences between homosexual and heterosexual subjects," she says.
Previous studies have also shown differences inbrain architecture and activity between gay and straight people, but most relied on people's responses to sexuality driven cues that could have been learned, such as rating the attractiveness of male or female faces.

Brain symmetry
To get round this, Savic and her colleague, Per Lindström, chose to measure brain parameters likely to have been fixed at birth.

"That was the whole point of the study, to show parameters that differ, but which couldn't be altered by learning or cognitive processes," says Savic.
"This study demonstrates that homosexuals of both sexes show strong cross-sex shifts in brain symmetry," says Qazi Rahman, a leading researcher on sexual orientation at Queen Mary college, University of London, UK.

"The connectivity differences reported in the amygdala are striking."
"Paradoxically, it's more informative to look at things that have no direct connection with sexual orientation, and that's where this study scores," says Simon LeVay, a prominent US author who in 1991 reported finding differences(pdf) in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus between straight and gay men.

PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...66105.abstract

__________________________________________________ ______

Relationships among childhood sex-atypical be... [Arch Sex Behav. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Several studies report that the cognitive performance of gay males is more typical of heterosexual females than heterosexual males.

Furthermore, the brain waves of gay males while performing verbal and spatial tasks are more similar to heterosexual females than males or significantly different from both."

Relationships among childhood sex-atypical behavior, spatial ability, handedness, and sexual orientation in men. Cohen KM. Arch Sex Behav. (2002)

And a few more brain studies:

Sexual orientation and its basis in brain structure and function

PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects

Brain response to putative pheromones in homosexual men

Sexual orientation and the size of the anterior commissure in the human brain

Brain response to putative pheromones in lesbian women

http://reberlab.psych.northwestern.e...ron_BN2007.pdf

Old 09-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I am a mother. I also had a cousin die of Aids in 1989. I spent his last days with him. We talked of this very subject and he did not believe he was born that way. My son was molested in a public school restroom when he was 10 years old by an older male child. This happened more than once. When he didn't want to go to school anymore because of it he told me what was happening. When he was 13 he told me that he thought he was gay. Did that have anything to do with his sexual preference? I don't know. I wish I had the answers but don't. I can only say what I believe. For those who say I don't love my son you are very wrong. If I didn't love him I would have thrown him out of my life. You have no idea what it is like to be in this position. It's because I love him that I'm so torn over this.
There is no evidence that being sexually abused as a child causes someone to be homosexual.

However there is some evidence to show that gender non-conforming children are more targeted for sexual abuse.

According to the educated, evidence-based opinions of health professionals, sexual orientation is not caused by child sexual abuse.

For example, from the 2009 Wilson and Widom longitudinal study of over 900 people who were sexually abused as children:
"We also found no connections between childhood physical abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect and romantic cohabitation with a same-sex partner.

These results were consistent for men and women and support the conclusions of Bell et al. (1981) that early parenting experiences, positive or negative, play little direct role in the development of sexual orientation"
(Wilson & Widom, 2009)

The American Academy of Pediatricians which represents over 60,000 pediatricians states:
"there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation."

Old 09-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Royal College of Psychiatrists

"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment."

Old 09-15-2012, 01:34 PM

AmericanAcademy of Pediatrics

“…the current literature and most scholars in the field state that one’s sexual orientation is not a choice; that is, individuals do not choose to be homosexual or heterosexual.8,11

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;113/6/1827 (2004)

Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Please try to start an argument with someone else. I never called any gay or lesbian an abomination. I said the act of homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord.
Homosexuality isn't an 'act'. And the ancient Hebrew word t'oebah did not mean 'abomination' in the way our modern english language uses it.

But what 'act' are you referring to? The same 'act' that more heterosexual people engage in? That 40% of gay men don't enegage in?

What about lesbians? (And please don't quote Romans 1:26 out of context at me)

I would think any loving parent of a gay or lesbian child would want to educate themselves instead of blindly believing what they are told to believe based on a handful of biblical verses taken out of context of the culture in which they were written.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I am a mother. I also had a cousin die of Aids in 1989. I spent his last days with him. We talked of this very subject and he did not believe he was born that way. My son was molested in a public school restroom when he was 10 years old by an older male child. This happened more than once. When he didn't want to go to school anymore because of it he told me what was happening. When he was 13 he told me that he thought he was gay. Did that have anything to do with his sexual preference? I don't know. I wish I had the answers but don't. I can only say what I believe. For those who say I don't love my son you are very wrong. If I didn't love him I would have thrown him out of my life. You have no idea what it is like to be in this position. It's because I love him that I'm so torn over this.
The 'answers' are there for you to find. But you have to open your mind and heart to see them.
There is no need to feel torn if you understand. When a parent says to their child that 'God hates homosexuality or homosexuals' or that they "hate sin but love the sinner", or that 'homosexuality is an abomination', all the child hears is that you think God hates them, that you hate them and you think they are an 'abomination'. Homosexual orientation is part of who they ARE - it's not some choice they make or just a 'behavior' or 'act'.

BTW, I am also a mother. I've also been a Counsellor for young gays and lesbians in a crisis centre. If you had heard the pain and anguish from young people that I have heard caused by their evangelical Christian parents who rejected them because of their orientation, you might realise why I am so passionate about this. I don't ever want to hear again that a young person has harmed themselves or killed themselves because their parents taught them to hate who they were.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-15-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Still pushing the mental disorder lie are we? Clearly homophobia is a mental disorder though, perhaps you'd like to get that treated?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
You are right, just like you will never understand why yours are wrong. I'm sorry I joined this conversation. Why can''t people disagree and still be civil? Why can't we disagree but still treat each other respect?
Because I don't see telling people being gay is a deviant choice meant to spite God based on faulty information and a corrupted understanding of the Bible to constitute a respectful view.

I don't think you realize how many gay people have begged God for decades to make them straight. And yet he ALWAYS says no. Why would gay people in Iran choose to be gay when it's a guaranteed public execution? Do you think there is some inherent benefit to being gay that overrides a human's survival instinct?

Even religious extremist organizations like Exodus International who claim to offer treatment to "cure" people of being gay have admitted their methods have never worked, and they have never changed anyone's orientation, including their leaders.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I realise you find it 'entertaining' to keep posting that, but it gets really old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies