Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I hope your find your fountain soon.....Again, we invaded Iraq after the French intellegence convinced the US that Sadam did in fact have mass weapons at his disposal...and after 17 resolutions and the democrats and republicans giving their blessings for the invasion.....hard to remember things sometimes.....but try harder.
I was around for the run-up for that war, and anyone claiming that it would have been brought about without the anger and fear following 9/11 is either deluding themselves or flat-out lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It may not happen in your lifetime but it will happen. I tend to think that all religions have enormous potential for horrific behavior. I don't think in terms of "good" or "bad".....I think in terms of dangerous.
One problem I see is that for instance Muslim women are not allowed to date or marry non-Muslim men.
I don't know of any other religion with such a prohibition. Sure, older Hindu parents are not happy, either, when their children mix with other ethnic groups. But there is no prohibition written into a holy book, it's just a preference. The reasons for problems with non-Muslims are written right into the heart of Islam, mainly the Koran.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I understand what you are saying. But Islam's ignorance is running out of excuses in the 21st century. Dirt poor animists in the Rain Forests of the Amazon don't act like this. I don't understand it and it doesn't need to be understood to condemn it. Religious wackos are bad for the world and they come in every religion. Islam just has the lion's share of wackos.
Could be that you are too conditioned to "instant" solutions. I think most of us here in the U.S., with our very fast-paced lives, and the cultural conditioning expect or at least think we are entitled to immediate gratification. People evolve over time.....more than a year or two, sometimes it takes an entire generation to see change. Even if we don't like it, we cannot "rush" that evolution. It's painful and it takes time. Frankly, I think that's what people like Chris Stevens were and are doing in places like Libya. We will never know the extent of his influence on many, many Muslims. That's part of evolution. There were people from that region out with signs saying "Chris Stevens was a friend to us"....

I think in this country it makes a lot of people very,very nervous to not have instant solutions to big problems. I think it makes people fearful to just "not know" exactly what to do or how to instantly resolve very complex problems.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
One problem I see is that for instance Muslim women are not allowed to date or marry non-Muslim men.
I don't know of any other religion with such a prohibition. Sure, older Hindu parents are not happy, either, when their children mix with other ethnic groups. But there is no prohibition written into a holy book, it's just a preference. The reasons for problems with non-Muslims are written right into the heart of Islam, mainly the Koran.
Things will change. With their exposure to people like Chris Stevens and the many others who risk their lives to make the world better, "they" will start to see what else is possible. I think that in fact, Muslim women in some instances do marry outside their religion. You also discount what kinds of new knowledge is to come in the future, what kinds of new technology will become common, and the many ways the world will change, and so too will the people.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
What I'm having most difficulty understanding.....well, probably such bigoted intolerance. You're talking about one person versus an entire religion. I have no doubt that people who work in the Middle East are aware of the risks. Whether you like it or not, YOU cannot force an entire religion to evolve as much as YOU want them to evolve overnight or over a decade or even more. It's a PROCESS.

I find your desire to just "exterminate" all these people, first, impossible to understand, and, second, totally absurd. You continue to talk as if you know exactly what "they" want and what "they" believe........Do you realize that you are actually thinking EXACTLY like they appear to think, based on their actions. And you have no excuse. Apparently you were born and raised in this country and certainly should have had far more opportunities for education in this civilized country, than many Muslims.

So, why do you think you have a right to such intolerance, and why do you think the U.S. has the right to "exterminate" all Muslims?
I have a right to believe anything I want.

I don't speak for the USA, and they should be happy that I don't speak or act on behalf of the USA because if I did that region would have been a glass factory a long time ago.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Things will change. With their exposure to people like Chris Stevens and the many others who risk their lives to make the world better, "they" will start to see what else is possible. I think that in fact, Muslim women in some instances do marry outside their religion. You also discount what kinds of new knowledge is to come in the future, what kinds of new technology will become common, and the many ways the world will change, and so too will the people.
Maybe things will change once Muslims stop reading the Koran as that book gives people a bad conscience whenever they do or don't do so many things. Just like people in the West got more tolerant as they abandoned the Bible.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
These people need to catch a SERIOUS beating. Go in there with security forces and give them confrontation if that's what they want. Enough is enough, and when people play dirty, they keep on going until you put an end to it. Ever played a sport against someone or a team that was dirty? It turns ugly for a little while but then levels itself out after the confrontation.

Additionally, why are people still blaming the movie?! You can say whatever you want, especially here in the US. It is the fanatics of the Muslim world that need to be addressed, not the movie. Go on some X rated website and you'll see silly movies about nuns or priest (in costume of course) doing some disrespectful stuff (according to the Christian religion), but you don't see Christians causing a big deal over it and killing people and burning property.

Time to put our foot down and lay down the law, or just get the hell out. Either is fine with me.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe things will change once Muslims stop reading the Koran as that book gives people a bad conscience and outright fear whenever they do or don't do so many things. Just like people in the West got more tolerant as they abandoned the Bible.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
Quote:
Could be that you are too conditioned to "instant" solutions. I think most of us here in the U.S., with our very fast-paced lives, and the cultural conditioning expect or at least think we are entitled to immediate gratification. People evolve over time.....more than a year or two, sometimes it takes an entire generation to see change. Even if we don't like it, we cannot "rush" that evolution. It's painful and it takes time. Frankly, I think that's what people like Chris Stevens were and are doing in places like Libya. We will never know the extent of his influence on many, many Muslims. That's part of evolution. There were people from that region out with signs saying "Chris Stevens was a friend to us"....

I think in this country it makes a lot of people very,very nervous to not have instant solutions to big problems. I think it makes people fearful to just "not know" exactly what to do or how to instantly resolve very complex problems.
I can be patient as long as it isn't any of my loved ones dying while they evolve, but I can't speak for western civilization. I think the patience required is along the lines of another 50 to a 100 years. We would be hard pressed to find such long-suffering in anyone to that degree.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I have a right to believe anything I want.

I don't speak for the USA, and they should be happy that I don't speak or act on behalf of the USA because if I did that region would have been a glass factory a long time ago.
As Mitt said, of course you have the right to believe anything you want, but that doesn't mean that what you're believing is "right."

I too am very happy that you don't speak for the U.S. and that those with real power in our government at this time do not believe as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies