Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,657,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Let's not stop there. Let's quote some more from that same article:

The deeply held American belief that all you have to do is liberate people from serfdom and dictatorship, and then democracy and a market economy will develop more or less on their own, burned to ash in the trial by fire of Iraq. A fact that academics and historically informed diplomats have always known can now be observed throughout the Arab world: Deeply ingrained cultural attitudes do not change simply because one political regime replaces another. In the long process of building a democratic society, it is not possible to simply skip stages."

"The conservative US media have already -- excessively -- labeled the anti-US protests in Egypt, Libya and Yemen as a 'wildfire' and interpreted them as a result of Obama's 'weakness.'"
"It's lucky for Obama that his opponent Romney is acting in such a hapless manner. Instead of condemning the attacks in a statesman-like fashion and assuring the president of his support, Romney criticized the government's alleged 'apology' to the demonstrators. That was not just nonsense, but partisan maneuvering at a moment when patriotism would have been appropriate. With his attack, Romney has scored an own goal."

"Three years after Obama's speech in Cairo, which was supposed to initiate a new beginning in the Middle East, the United States now has even less support in the region than before. That's not a failure of this president. Instead, it is the consequences of an American foreign policy that for decades favored power over democracy, and a hard line over human rights -- and which will suffer from a credibility problem for a long time for precisely those reasons."

"Mitt Romney has, however, failed to recognize the very core of the American dilemma. He attacked Obama with twisted facts shortly after the announcement of the death of the US ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens. He claimed that the US government had sympathized with the attackers in Benghazi. But not only was that factually wrong, it also demonstrated an alarmingly high level of foreign policy incompetence to his own party. None of this would matter, except that Romney wants Obama's job -- and might even get it on Nov. 6."

"The West must be tough on terrorism. And it must show that it can differentiate between rabble-rousers and peaceful Muslims."
Shut that barn door!

All of this is from the SAME article?

Geez, maybe the OP's links are worth reading after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,657,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Why is everyone acting like this is the first time there have been widespread riots in the Middle East? My God, these images look like reruns of videos I have seen throughout my entire life. Has Obama been influencing our politics for that long? No.
Every POTUS has dealt with unrest and riots over there, and this will continue until we get the h*ll out of there. The anti-American sentiment over there was not caused by Obama. It has been generations in the making and will continue for generations to come.
Collective selective amnesia.
It's the only explanation.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,751,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
It's AMATEUR HOUR with Obama!!!

The protest was announced on August 30th....but they act as if they didn't have a clue.

Obama ignored warnings for the last 3 years that security at our Embassies was lax

On the Anniversary of 911, don't you THINK someone MIGHT have thought it would be a good idea to beef-up security?

Credible information warned of these attacks 48 hours prior to them

There's a report stating that, just like the murdered Border Agents, the Marines were barred from using live ammo
I bet you typed something like this out of anger towards Bush ignoring warnings after 9/11 didnt you? Oh, no...actually I bet you didnt.

Furthermore, all this "they ignored warnings" stuff re: Obama administration is purely speculative.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM

7,537 posts, read 11,545,727 times
Some of you on the forum do not understand the US can not solve the rest of the worlds problems if we even tried we would be a war with 8 to 10 other countries. All we need to do is strengthen our embassies with more troops and wait 45 days this will be all over today. Protest like these happen in the middle east every few yrs this is nothing new

Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,414,344 times
Obama and Democrats play victim to a video trying to avoid responsibility.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM

7,537 posts, read 11,545,727 times
Obama had nothing to do with the video people

Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,176,981 times
I sure wish everyone would just calm down a bit.
First- there is NO excuse for the violence and murder that occurred.
But think outside your own head for just one minute.
If Muslims had released a film in 2011 that depicted Christ as a womanizer and child-abuser...you don't think some extremist bubbas here might have wanted to kill someone?
Keep in mind that the culture there does not allow this sort of thing- they don't have the concept of free speech, so it looks to them that the US approved of this.
I AM NOT EXCUSING THE BEHAVIOR. I am trying to keep from us from escalating the problem. No one wants more war.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:02 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,933,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I sure wish everyone would just calm down a bit.
First- there is NO excuse for the violence and murder that occurred.
But think outside your own head for just one minute.
If Muslims had released a film in 2011 that depicted Christ as a womanizer and child-abuser...you don't think some extremist bubbas here might have wanted to kill someone?
Keep in mind that the culture there does not allow this sort of thing- they don't have the concept of free speech, so it looks to them that the US approved of this.
I AM NOT EXCUSING THE BEHAVIOR. I am trying to keep from us from escalating the problem. No one wants more war.
The film has NOTHING to do with what happened.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,906,211 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. Helping Middle Eastern nations move out from under tyranny and cruel dictators and move towards democracy is a bad thing for America to stand for?
Not if the group you're helping is as bad or worse than who you are overthrowing. In that case, it's better just to mind our own business.

Quote:
Using drones to hunt down and specifically target terrorists is not a better way of doing that than sending troops in and causing massive damage to infrastructure and the lives of many innocent civilians?
Nice attempt to lead the witness. I don't have a problem with getting the bad guys with drones in general. The problem with Obama's (and Bush's to be fair) drone strikes is in the way in which he's doing it. He's not working with the country the drones are in nor are the people in the that country behind it, thus the country feels their sovereignty is violated. Now we can argue if that should be done or not (tip off the bad guy), but it sure is building up a lot of resentment among ALL the Middle East population, and leads to what we see today. And keeping it up will eventually lead to something worse where we'll eventually have to go to war (again).

The better solution is to get our own source of energy, quit relying on the Middle East's oil, and then quit poking our noses into other country's business.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,802,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yes, his policy IS in ruins. That won't stop the leftists masquerading as journalists from refusing to cover it. Instead, we'll get a steady diet of propaganda telling us about Mitt Romney's tax returns, Obama's brilliance, and how Bush is really to blame.
Can I get an Amen?.....AMEN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies