Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times

Advertisements

this is just silly
I sure have more important things to do that worry about what folks read
who cares??
I don't read any of these books and I have a life other than politics
I sure don't waste my time looking at what the far left loonies read
the fact that this is even brought up as something important says more about the op that this book list
it is about the same thrill as some folks get peering into folk's windows
and just as creepy!!

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Conservatives have an almost constant need to have their beliefs reinforced by the Fox News and right wing talk radio personalities. A lot of conservatives that I know will listen to talk radio during the work day, watch Fox News at night and buy books written by the same people that they watch and listen to. They get off on having their entrenched beliefs reinforced by the right wing pseudo intellectuals like Glenn Beck, Coulter and Hannity.

A lot of those books get printed and are purchased in bulk so that they can be given away to talk radio callers or in exchange for contributions to conservative campaigns or causes.
...and then they end up shocked when Fox News lies to them about election results. They laughed at the guy who predicted the last election even though his method was damn near flawless in 2008 and 2010.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Thank you OP, for pointing out that conservatives mostly read books.

Liberals are too busy watching propaganda television, like MSNBC.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 2,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Thank you OP, for pointing out that conservatives mostly read books.

Liberals are too busy watching propaganda television, like MSNBC.
haahhahahaha this guy couldn't be anymore wrong. must be trollin' or a teenager. Probably both. smh

We can agree that if anything is propaganda - it's **** fox "news"
I hate calling it news. MSNBC is much better, but fox news is utter garbage.

You'd have to be a brainwashed idiot with your head up your ass not to see that.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Amazon recently launched an "Election Heat Map" to get a better sense of the sorts of books folks are buying now. And perhaps not surprisingly, it indicates that the U.S. is enthralled with conservative titles.... but way out of whack to the number of Democrats vs Republicans, or Liberals vs Conservatives.

So who's buying all this stuff, or do conservatives just have an endless appetite for things like...

• Godless: The Church of Liberalism
• Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism
• Fool Me Twice: Obama’s Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed
• Why I Turned Right: Leading Baby Boom Conservatives Chronicle Their Political Journeys
• One-Party Classroom: How Radical Professors at America's Top Colleges Indoctrinate Students and Undermine Our Democracy
• Why the Left Hates America: Exposing the Lies That Have Obscured Our Nation's Greatness
• The Obama Hate Machine
• Blacklash: How Obama and the Left Are Driving Americans to the Government Plantation

And are they just so gullible, that all you really need is a good title, something catchy like say,
"I was Obama's Muslim Kenyan Love Slave... A Lib-rul Exposé!"
Maybe. Or maybe they read more in general. Maybe the people opposed to the party in power read more books. Maybe conservatives use Amazon and liberals tend to get books from other sources. Maybe liberals pass books among friends more than conservatives so 1 purchase might equal 5 readers. Since you're not gullible or blinded by partisanship, I'm sure you controlled for all these possiblities in your assessment. I would be curious to see how those points break down. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:51 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbrooker View Post
You'd have to be a brainwashed idiot with your head up your ass not to see that.
You can say the same about people who think that MSNBC is much better.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Liberals have been addicted to people who tell them that they will wave the political magic wand and make them middle class or higher for doing nothing themselves. When you start conning yourself your in real trouble as the saying goes.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You'd be wrong. Again.
I agree, but for different reasons.

Quote:
I'm conservative, read a lot, and haven't read any of those books.

Bill O'Reilly's Lincoln book has been on the best seller list for a year or more. I haven't read that one, either.
You're a sample of 1. That's no sample at all. But I think it's the publishers who are snapping up all these books they just published, solely so as to put them on best seller lists. Ragnery Press pulls this a lot. The scientologists do it too.

Quote:
Assuming conservatives do have large appetites for those books, so what? Is that the best bash you can come up with?
I doubt it.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Oh, and I think right-wingers read these books because while they already hate liberals, they need to read these books to find out why.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Amazon recently launched an "Election Heat Map" to get a better sense of the sorts of books folks are buying now. And perhaps not surprisingly, it indicates that the U.S. is enthralled with conservative titles.... but way out of whack to the number of Democrats vs Republicans, or Liberals vs Conservatives.

So who's buying all this stuff, or do conservatives just have an endless appetite for things like...

• Godless: The Church of Liberalism
• Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism
• Fool Me Twice: Obama’s Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed
• Why I Turned Right: Leading Baby Boom Conservatives Chronicle Their Political Journeys
• One-Party Classroom: How Radical Professors at America's Top Colleges Indoctrinate Students and Undermine Our Democracy
• Why the Left Hates America: Exposing the Lies That Have Obscured Our Nation's Greatness
• The Obama Hate Machine
• Blacklash: How Obama and the Left Are Driving Americans to the Government Plantation

And are they just so gullible, that all you really need is a good title, something catchy like say,
"I was Obama's Muslim Kenyan Love Slave... A Lib-rul Exposé!"
sensationalism is what keeps 24/7 news going: it is no more right wingers that are fascinated by it, than left wingers. In fact I am guessing the left wing plays on it more. Who's buying these books, beats me, but I am guessing it isn't only the right wingers and look how the left has been sucked in by people like Michael Moore for heavens sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies