Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times

Advertisements

As a general rule Republicans appear to despair positive economic trends and news.

Whether it's stock market growth, falling unemployment, rising home prices, reduction in debt to China, or improvements in the health of the domestic automakers, Republicans tend to respond as if each trend were a negative.

It's odd behavior from a group which claims to be a champion of labor markets and business. Do Republicans run the risk of becoming perceived as anti-business proponents?

Why are Republicans afraid to participate in the positive side of the economic outlook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times
Maybe because we don't see the POSITIVE trend in gaining less jobs in September than in August and less jobs gained in August than in July???

That's actually a NEGATIVE trend.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I'm not a hardline Republican. But when one talks of trends they should include all trends, not just one month's number.
Today, the "trends" are all over the place and not all pointing in the same direction.

You have more jobs but they are lower paying. Are you happy with that "trend" ?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
We love positive economic trends.

What we dont like is being fed poo while being told it is steak.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Let's not forget what Obama PROMISED America either.......

Back in February 2009, the Obama Administration promised the American public that after their nearly trillion dollar stimulus took effect, the unemployment rate would drop down to 5.2% at the end of his first term.

Today it’s at 7.8%.

The White House's famous graph projecting with and without the stimulus:

Obama tried to convince America that they could spend their way out of recession.

What idiots.

The Wall Street Journal reported:
The famed Rosy Scenario, coined in the early days of the Reagan White House when large tax cuts and higher defense spending were assumed to be paid for in part by strong economic growth, is a cornerstone of the Obama administration’s first multiyear budget.

After contracting at a 1.2% rate in 2009, a more modest drop than the Congressional Budget Office and Blue Chip Consensus forecasts assume, the White House sees growth domestic product growth snapping back by 3.2% next year and then 4% or higher the three years after that.

The unemployment rate at the end of President Barack Obama‘s term in 2013 will be just 5.2%, according to the White House. The rate currently sits at 7.6%, and many economists expect it to climb past 9% before the recession ends. A report Thursday showing jobless claims at a 26-year high supports the more pessimistic forecasts, at least in the short run.
If Obama was working in the private sector he would have been canned a long time ago.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Why are Republicans afraid to participate in the positive side of the economic outlook?
Maybe because so many people seem to keep disappearing from the workforce to help tweak these numbers down. Ain't nothing positive about that. Or honest.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I know that we've been measuring unemployment with the same methodology for ages, and recently, I only hear right wing complaints when the news is good...

7.9% is better than what we've seen over the past couple of years. I'm no mathematician, but I understand that.

So.....

HOORAY!!!!!

After spending $1 Trillion borrowed dollars from China, the unemployment rate is .2 points HIGHER than it was BEFORE we spent $1 Trillion dollars.

That's something to really crow about!!

And again......

The US gained LESS jobs in September than we did in August and in August we gained LESS jobs than we did in July.

But....it's getting BETTER, eh?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM

376 posts, read 295,947 times
If I am elected prez I will eliminate unemployment using this simple plan:

1. Tax the heck out of anyone with something to tax
2. Create a bunch unnecessary gov't jobs to eliminate unemployment
3. As the private sector crumbles I will create more unnecessary gov't jobs & borrow from China to pay for it.
4. Die before the bill comes due.

Can I count on your vote? I'm willing to buy it. You got a phone?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Default hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm not a hardline Republican. But when one talks of trends they should include all trends, not just one month's number.
Today, the "trends" are all over the place and not all pointing in the same direction.

You have more jobs but they are lower paying. Are you happy with that "trend" ?
Clearly you're unhappy with this trend, but happy with the over-all scale of the trend that has existed for the last 30 years.

Tell us, when did your unhappiness start?

Keep in mind: I'll present a chart or some other sourced data.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Question hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Maybe because so many people seem to keep disappearing from the workforce to help tweak these numbers down. Ain't nothing positive about that. Or honest.
Odd. The things I mentioned were positive news.

When did the numbers you've mentioned begin to distress you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies