Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM

578 posts, read 1,091,526 times

Advertisements

I think democrats pander to the far far left and Republicans pander to the extreme right. The majority of Americans are somewhere in between. I really don't think romneys going to shut down women / gays and I don't think obamas going to create a communist government. I DO think we should hear alot more from both camps as to what the plan to do to create jobs,reduce crime, foreign policies, how they plan to ensure OUR social security alone. The things that matter to the masses not the far 5-10% on both extreme ends. So annoying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,095,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
You do realize that Barry Goldwater later became disillusioned with the conservative moment he helped create because of the Religious Right, correct? Because he, like anyone with a brain, knew that the Religious Right had zero interest in defending liberty and small government. They were perfectly open to big government intervening with the private lives of people whose "lifestyles" they disapproved of.
And The Tea Party that was outraged due to Bailouts, 0bamacare, Cap and Tax, Cash for Clunkers, The War on Tobacco, and the Nancy State in general, and currently still outraged, they just went away right???

You don't think they just went away and aren't paying attention to what the FED's been up to lately do ya???

How about the democrat party platform that outright endorses gun control??? Do you think absolute all time record gun sales are just a coincidence???

I remember when "liberals" used to rightly complain about losing Constitutionally protected rights...

That was about the only thing I could respect them for, where did they go???

Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,290,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Do you think the Republican Party still is in touch with mainstream Americans? Or have they become more of a far-right fringe party?

I think when you compare many of the policy positions that the Republican party used to hold versus those they currently espouse, there is little doubt that the party is vastly more extremely conservative.

Now whether those conservative beliefs are extreme is a matter for debate.

I think the Republican party has been extreme since the 1970's. These beliefs have existed in the conservative base for a long time.

It is just the party is having a more difficult time bottling their extreme conservatives and are adopting many of their insane and backward ideas.

Just one example the modern conservative party wants to go back on the gold standard. It is astonishing. A belief that hardly any mainstream economists share is in the Republican party platform.

I think it was R. Nixon a republican that took us off the gold standard for good.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,312,501 times
Quote:
Do you think the Republican Party still is in touch with mainstream Americans? Or have they become more of a far-right fringe party?
The Republican Party has only become "extreme" in the eyes of the cadre' of crypto-Fascist far-Left trolls who seek to dominate all thought at this forum.

Personally, I maintain a Libertarian registration because election laws here in Pennsylvania require a certain percentage of Libertarians in order to keep that party on the ballot. But in many counties, registered Libertarians hold certain minor offices with the consent and co-operation of the GOP.

If you can find me a Democrat or two who is willing to publicly show support of greater reliance on the workings of the markets and the need to reduce the portion of our economy subject to too much regulation, I'd gladly take him/her over the Bible-thumpers and fig-leaf hangers. But the Democratic Party, as early as 1972, clearly allowed its policies and platform to be hijacked by a gang of thinly legitimized former campus radicals who have never shown any tolerance for opinions other than their own.

Despite the premature trumpeting by the practicioners of Donkey Business, It's likely that the combined Libertarian and anti-Obama (you knee-jerks can call them "Teabaggers" if it makes you feel good), will exceed all previous numbers by a considerable percentage. That will send a message to Santorum and the other theocrats that the moderate Right can win -- if the Fundamentalist ideologues are clearly made to understand that they have nowhere else to go.

The direction of American politics over the next ten years is far from settled.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,436,440 times
They're definitely heading there. And the representatives of that mentality around here are getting nuttier by the day.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,199,436 times
I would say no more so than the Democrats with their Class warfare, anti-christian rhetoric and if you disagree with Obama you are a racist mind set.
I would say both parties are out of control.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,069,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
I think democrats pander to the far far left and Republicans pander to the extreme right. The majority of Americans are somewhere in between. I really don't think romneys going to shut down women / gays and I don't think obamas going to create a communist government. I DO think we should hear alot more from both camps as to what the plan to do to create jobs,reduce crime, foreign policies, how they plan to ensure OUR social security alone. The things that matter to the masses not the far 5-10% on both extreme ends. So annoying
From what I can tell (and surveys of political persuasion indicate this too) is that America is much more conservative than liberal. About 40 percent identify themselves as conservative, about 40 percent as moderate, and about 20 percent as liberal. So I think naturally that the Republicans have a lot easier of a time pandering to the extreme right than Democrats do to the extreme left.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,530,330 times
Quote:

We have a President that would prevent a a fully born baby from getting medical care (in a botched abortion).

We had President that wants to redefine marriage as it has been since CREATION!

We have President who has given (and still gives) support to a known terrorist group (The Muslim Brotherhood) who is now involved in the killing and SODOMIZING of a U.S. Ambassor. Oh....and while this is happening, he goes to Vagfas for a fund raiser.

And yet the right is extreme????????????????????

There's a whole lot more I could add to this list. But I will leave it there. For now.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,530,330 times
Did I mention Obama's and Pelosi's support for this group??

Old 09-15-2012, 07:05 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,474,251 times
Quote:
Do you think the Republican Party still is in touch with mainstream Americans?
Is the sky blue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies