Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:53 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by jambo101

Before painting all these middle eastern people with the same brush and raining harsh military or financial reprisals i'd find out the real source of the dissension, is it just small groups of anti Americans inciting crowds to riot in the streets? or is the Anti American sentiment really representative of an entire Arab population?.
This rioting we are seeing on the news media is very reminiscent of Montreals student riots that were a nightly occurence throughout the summer by thousands of students every night,The media could have portrayed this situation as the people of Quebec rioting against the government when in reality it was just students protesting higher tuition costs, government changed,tuition raise was dropped, no more nightly riots.

Quebec is not the entire Middle East and it's not just about rioting college students either! The source of the dissension is their ancient, backward culture and their Islamic faith! The Muslim people will eventually rule the world in the not too distant future! Mark my words! My solution to the Middle east Crisis still stands! How many years has the United States tried diplomacy to get along with the Arab nation? It's just my POV and or MHO after what is going on in the Middle East today! The entire Islamic/Muslim/Arab nation is anti-America and they are willing to die for their religious belief in the name of their Prophet, Allah and the words written in their Holy Kuran aka Koran or Quran, but to each to their own interruptation of it's meaning!

Last edited by Art2ro; 09-15-2012 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Before painting all these middle eastern people with the same brush and raining harsh military or financial reprisals i'd find out the real source of the dissension, is it just small groups of anti Americans inciting crowds to riot in the streets? or is the Anti American sentiment really representative of an entire Arab population?.
This rioting we are seeing on the news media is very reminiscent of Montreal's student riots that were a nightly occurence throughout the summer by thousands of students every night,The media could have portrayed this situation as the people of Quebec rioting against the government when in reality it was just students protesting higher tuition costs, government changed,tuition raise was dropped, no more nightly riots.
We agree here, and we seldom do; I have a sister-in-law who is married to an Iranian national, a non-political petroleum engineer who had the misfortune to be trapped in Iran during the 1979-81 "troubles". She and her two sons stayed on my family's farm until Dad was able to find a way out. The two sons, now in their thirties, are fellow Penn State Alumni and as Westernized as any of us.

The entire Islamic world is, to far too great a degree, held hostage in the mind's image of Westerners by a gang of fanatics and unfortunately, the responsible majority is not yet large enough or educated enough to purge the radicals out. Until enlightenment takes its course, those of us on the other side have to retain our guard against the well-organized few still guided by the rules of the Seventh Century. My greatest wish would be for more of the moderates to speak out, and I cannot understand why the open-minded on both sides can't unite against the threat of reprisal by the fanatics.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Stop buying their dam oil! Their primary source of income is oil. You cut off their funds and they have to actually be productive.
... well, at least this solution doesn't involve talking about B-52's and glass parking lots

Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
My greatest wish would be for more of the moderates to speak out, and I cannot understand why the open-minded on both sides can't unite against the threat of reprisal by the fanatics.
These extremists are quick to levy reprisals, start talking out against them and you'll find your whole family beheaded the next day. powerful incentives to keeping ones mouth shut and staying out of trouble.
I'm not sure what the answer is in that part of the world as they seem bound and determined to pressure America and her allies into neverending conflict.
My brother is of the opinion that we should just nuke em all and let Allah sort it out
I'm hoping these people are just going through a phase in their social evolution and will at some point sort out their discontent hopefully sooner than later.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
How about we load live pigs aboard as many C-130's as we can round up, and then drop them over all major middle eastern cities?
Yes, I am sure that dropping a bunch of animals to splatter onto pavement all over the middle east will turn the same men who are willing to strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up for the promise of a mystical sky mansion or move to Afghanistan to get blown up by a drone into little quivering crybabies flying white flags of surrender.

Did you study international relations at Oxford, by chance?

Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Stop buying their dam oil! Their primary source of income is oil. You cut off their funds and they have to actually be productive.

And do what? Punish the very governments which are literally fighting to defend our embassies? They didn't start this!

Let's keep things in perspective, folks, before jumping off into the deep end. Most of those protestors are unemployed young men who have nothing else to do on a Friday afternoon. Rioting is a social event, much like the draft protests here back in the 60's. They indicate nothing else but that uneducated, bored and rootless people will do just about anything to relieve their daily circumstance, that people like that are easily manipulated by true radicals. We've seen it happen thousands of times.

And, don't forget this before rushing off to "punish" someone: There are 82 million Egyptian's. 5000 of them gathered up outside our embassy hardly represents them all.

One more thing: TV journalism is, by it's nature, tilted toward dramatic footage. It's their stock in trade, it's what they do. A camera focused on a small band of rioters is no more indicative of the true situation than that blown over house under construction in Mississippi represents the totality of hurricane Isaac. You saw it. Every network had a camera set up in front of that house as a back-drop for their on-air personality and it would be easy for the viewer to say, "OMG!" and come away with a skewed view of what the hurricane actually did. It's the same with these protests. The cameras catch the tiny minority acting like fools, but completely ignore the millions of Egyptian's going about their daily business without giving the riots a thought.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatTheKing View Post
Oil is a commodity. If America stops buying from any individual supplier, other nations will (in aggregate) reorient where they get their supplies from, and the whole system will balance out... more or less. This is why the U.S. has to work so hard to get nations like Russia on board with sanctions against Iran - for certain kinds of goods, its only really coordinated economic actions that have any affect.
This is why the oil ploy never likely would have worked. Anyway, suppose that we find an alternate form of cheap energy that makes burning oil obsolete. It wouldn't matter because the Islamic fundamentalists have already used the oil wealth to build out their networks, to recruit, organize, & train.

Trying to attain 'energy independence' at this point would be an exercise in barn-door closing after the horse left.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
We could have started the "Drilling" years ago, NO was the answer from YOU PEOPLE!!!

Ugh.

There isn't enough oil to drill to meet US energy needs.

We don't actually get much of our oil from the middle east, its mostly from Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela.

The problem with oil is that there is so much of it in the middle east, so they set the market price.

We have to have an alternative energy source, that isn't petroleum, to switch to. We have one, its called natural gas.

But we could have started that years ago, No was the answer from YOU people, just drill more is your answer when there isn't enough oil to drill.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This rioting we are seeing on the news media is very reminiscent of Montreals student riots that were a nightly occurence throughout the summer by thousands of students every night,The media could have portrayed this situation as the people of Quebec rioting against the government when in reality it was just students protesting higher tuition costs, government changed,tuition raise was dropped, no more nightly riots.
Here, read up on this. Hundreds in one place, thousands in another.
More than a handful if they are able to overtake an Embassy and lower the flags.

Anti-Islam Video Protests Live Blog - Al Jazeera Blogs

Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
I would love to be able to not buy their oil. But until the left is willing to get every ounce of natural energy in our own country, build more nuclear plants, ect how will that every be possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies