Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

My populist side has a nagging question: If we're going to print money to buy $40B per month in mortgage bonds, which is not guaranteed to actually help the weak job market, then why not just spend $40B per month on repairing and constructing major infrastructure that the country needs and wants?

Think of what could be accomplished with nearly $500B invested in our national infrastructure over the next year?

Our priorities are severely screwed up when the FED can autonomously spend $40B per month on mortgage bonds, but yet we can't create jobs through infrastructure improvements because of election year politics and other partisan swiping.

This saddens and infuriates me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Because housing is not doing well. Too many mortgages where the home's value is not anywhere near the mortgage amount. Too many foreclosures.

This is an indirect bailout of the banks again. The Fed will buy up the crap mortgages from the banks.
Who is the winner here ? And who is the loser ?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
$40B Per Month On Mortgage Bonds? Why Not Dump It Into Infrastructure Instead?

Infrastructure??? There ain't no stinkin' money in infrastructure. This is about the money, and who's got it.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Because infrastructure doesnt get money where it belongs, which is in the banks. We have a capital crisis in america, banks arent loaning, and because of it, the economy is in the tube.

$40B a month in infrastructure would do crap to the economy just like it did nothing last time. All it would do is move when projects are completed, and thus change when money gets spent, not increase it.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
HappyTexan....Tofurky.....Pghquest.....I get your point. And I agree that there is some value to shoring up the mortgage loan business. But is there any evidence that QE1 and QE2 was wildly successful? Maybe it was.....I don't know. But I see infrastructure investment not necessarily just an economic argument, but more of a national cause of concern issue. The side benefit is the number of jobs that could/would be created if $500B were dumped into projects all across the nation over the next year.

How can we go wrong with added spending on infrastructure? Will we ever see the benefit of FED action in the mortgage bond market?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
HappyTexan....Tofurky.....Pghquest.....I get your point. And I agree that there is some value to shoring up the mortgage loan business. But is there any evidence that QE1 and QE2 was wildly successful? Maybe it was.....I don't know. But I see infrastructure investment not necessarily as an economic argument, but more of a national cause of concern issue. The side benefit is the number of jobs that could/would be created if $500B were dumped into projects all across the nation over the next year.
Was it successful? That depends on what side of the equation you're sitting on. If you're the bankers, yes, it was widly successful. They got to borrow money, then loan it to the government, and then collect interest on the spread..

If your the public, no, it cost all of us money due to a declining dollar, but they arent so concerned with us little people.
Quote:
How can we go wrong with added spending on infrastructure? Will we ever see the benefit of FED action in the mortgage bond market?
Because it doesnt boost the economy no more than breaking a window and then fixing it, improves the value of the home.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
HappyTexan....Tofurky.....Pghquest.....I get your point. And I agree that there is some value to shoring up the mortgage loan business. But is there any evidence that QE1 and QE2 was wildly successful? Maybe it was.....I don't know. But I see infrastructure investment not necessarily an economic argument, but more of a national cause of concern issue. The side benefit is the number of jobs that could/would be created if $500B were dumped into projects all across the nation over the next year.
Bernanke is the Fed. The Fed determines monetary policy..they do not RUN the government or manage our programs. Not yet anyway.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
My populist side has a nagging question: If we're going to print money to buy $40B per month in mortgage bonds, which is not guaranteed to actually help the weak job market, then why not just spend $40B per month on repairing and constructing major infrastructure that the country needs and wants?

Think of what could be accomplished with nearly $500B invested in our national infrastructure over the next year?

Our priorities are severely screwed up when the FED can autonomously spend $40B per month on mortgage bonds, but yet we can't create jobs through infrastructure improvements because of election year politics and other partisan swiping.

This saddens and infuriates me.
Aside from capitalizing "Fed" you are absolutely correct.

Although housing is a serious problem, the issue all along in this recession is a crisis of insufficient aggregate demand. Companies have started hiring workers, but they won't hire more workers until the companies have customers to buy their stuff. (Henry Ford was right when he realized that paying his workers enough to afford the cars they were making would be good for the company.)

Hiring workers to build infrastructure would put money in their pockets and enable them to buy stuff, which would stimulate the companies into hiring more workers.

The problem is that the Republicans have the ability to block anything the President proposes, and they are determined to block anything that will help improve the economy because it will help the election chances of the President and the Democratic Party. Consequently, this action by the Fed is pretty much the only avenue open to the government.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,990 times
This magnitude of MBS buying will bring 30 year fixed interest rates to under 3 % /yr six months from now. That is pathetic.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
Because the FED being "concerned about jobs" is BS, this is just a way to bail out the banks (the FED) and you get to pay for it, Enjoy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies