Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Conservatives give much more to charity than liberals. What if they simply stopped giving to charity? Let the gubbamint take care of it.
Then they cannot deduct it off their taxes and their tax liability will be higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Are church tithes and offerings included in that charity number? Sure would explain the numbers.

If the church had been taking care of the widows and orphans, we would not be living in what many think is a welfare state.

When I was a student, the county hospital in my town was run by a group of volunteers. The town doctors donated one day a week to the hospital. The county provided the building and many supplies. But my momma and her sisters were always doing some fund raiser to get what was needed.

For years I lived in a county where Church Women United ran the entire Meals on Wheels program. The local nursing homes prepared the food, it was packed and delivered by volunteers.

How do you figure volunteer time into charitable giving?
I'll bet your county didn't have a mega-church that owned a jet plane and a TV station either. So many of those so-called charitable donations to the church counted in the Republican column now days are going to anything BUT supporting widows, orphans, the most fragile in society, and programs like Meals on Wheels.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Conservatives give much more to charity than liberals. What if they simply stopped giving to charity? Let the gubbamint take care of it.
Sure like to see the source on that statement. Giving to a Church that uses the money to push political causes is not Charity. The LDS poured millions into fighting same sex marriage in California, I hardly consideer that Charity. Seeing Pat Robertson with Mr Romney reminds me that much of which Robertson collects goes to hate. My mother gave much of the little she had to Robertson and liiberal oold me would up paying to bury her

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM

221 posts, read 282,788 times
Where are you getting this information? Would you post some legitimate statistics, please? It's my experience with people I knew or know closely that I graduated high school with, made acquaintances later, or are family, that the conservatives with kydz actually give the least to charity, money and time wise. The women who were liberal quickly turned the opposite upon marrying and breeding, because their Husz Bends were Republicans. All of their lofty goals to Save The World went flying out the window, and they did not even have ten dollars to donate to an animal shelter, nor a second of spare time because of Bay Beez. I had less broad goals than Saving the World but at least I have stuck to my goals. Each year I donate money and some years time and money to charitible organizations. I would consider myself liberal.

Of course, my group of people is not a big enough sample to determine if conservatives or libs give more.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
The Politics of Giving - How America Gives - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

Quote:

The nation's sharp political divide can provide a clue to fundraisers: The eight states that ranked highest in The Chronicle's analysis voted for John McCain in the last presidential contest while the seven lowest-ranking states supported Barack Obama.
There is various other studies, all come to the same conclusion that Conservatives give more.

As far as the religious donation go that certainly plays a big factor but I'm of the opinion that most churches are very charitable. For example Utah is at the top of that list which would be driven by contributions to the Mormon church, during Hurricane Katrina they had tractor trailers on the road heading to NO before the storm even got there. That would be in addition to huge stockpiles they had locally.

Just because there is some churches out there that are really bad like the typical ones you see on TV you can't put them all into one box.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:
I have, I simply can't afford it anymore, and don't trust the liberals that run these organizations that I have supported in the past. Don't trust any of em, even the conservative ones.
I say liberals, because I supported animal causes.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:01 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well the government wants to ban charitable donations, trusts and so forth because the government believes they should spend your money, not you.

In general unless the government is shrunken and changed the damage to charities from all souces could be really bad.
I don't think anyone wants to ban charitable donations, that is simply right wing propaganda. I think the question is should you give tax advantages for charitable donations, which I think is a 100% legitimate question since it is governmental behavioral manipulation any way you look at it. Others would also argue that the way it is set up in terms of how deductions go tends to favor certain causes over others. For example, people on the higher end tend to be able to get more advantage out of it if for no other reason then basis rules and itemized deductions. It is also noted that people on the higher end tend to favor different charities (generally more arts, sciences, and academics) then people on the lower end who favor religious and social services charities. As such in a way you are not only having the government influence behavioral giving, but you are also giving de facto favoritism to certain types of charities.

All in all it is a very interest topic about how much societial manipulation you want to put into the tax code, but most people don't understand it enough to even contemplate this aspect.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
I suppose the charities would have to settle for what non-conservatives give.

Is this a trick question?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Only a morally corrupt person would complain (to say it politely) about "theft" when tax money is used to help a sick person, but has no problem, nay, actively support it, when that same tax money (also coerced) is used to build bombs and weapons to kill innocent civilians overseas.

No, I'm not a pacifist, but I'd rather my taxes support the former far more than the latter.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Wow, liberals bashing Christian churches, I'm so shocked <sarcas>. Of course all Christian churches are bug mega churches that have their own jet, tv station, etc. Churches in our area take all sorts of donations including clothing, school supplies, and money from bake sales. Besides up-keep and renovations to the church properties, it also goes to families whose house or apartment burned down or flooded. They also pull their resources together to help not only their fellow church members, but also for people in areas that have suffered a natural disaster. Many churches in our area have reception halls. These double as temporary evacuation shelters. They keep a supply of mats, cots, and other supplies on hand. Local area churches also run the homeless shelter and food pantry. All of the local area places of worship (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and even Scientology) have developed a network of support to provide aid. They worked quickly to get necessary supplies to where they were needed after many hurricanes. This network was able to get supplies and shelter from places of worship across several states after hurricane Katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies