Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Big Whoop if conservatives give more to charity. Aren't they the ones who like to cut social programs?
I think most are of the opinion like myself that we the people footing the bill are better equipped to allocate those funds to worthy individuals and causes. The government is really no different than one of these bloated top heavy "charitable" organizations that are not effectively using those funds. You have to support a massive bureaucracy, wasted funds on the undeserving, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Conservatives give much more to charity than liberals. What if they simply stopped giving to charity? Let the gubbamint take care of it.
Actually, conservative atheists give the least of all. Do a search for the link; I've posted it before.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Knock yourself out, and give as much as you can. Sell your house if you have to, but for crying out loud, quit bragging about it.
Bragging about what? Why do you insist on higher taxes over more charity? Why do you trust the government with spending and running programs when their track record is horrible?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Conservatives don't give to real charities. Overwhelmingly what conservatives do give to are churches but most churches are parasites which use 90% of the money they extract from the faithful to pay the staff and pay the direct bills (mortgage, utilities, etc...) of the church building itself. Only, on average, about 10% of the money extorted by churches ever ends up being used to help the needy therefor I and many other people don't consider churches to be a very good charity. There are numerous real charities where 99% of the funds donated actually goes to help real people in real need or to help real causes.

When it comes to actual effective giving liberals actually do far, far more good because instead of allowing 90% of the donated funds to be stolen by parasites we actually give to real charities where the vast majority of funds end up being spent on the intended purpose. Churches are such terrible and inefficient ways of giving they really should lose their tax free status because most churches do almost no actual good in the real world and instead just divert funds to maintain the church itself.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Bragging about what? Why do you insist on higher taxes over more charity? Why do you trust the government with spending and running programs when their track record is horrible?
I haven't insisted on anything, and I have said nothing about any government programs. As a Christian I know my Bible, and it happens to disagree with the message of this thread.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
......churches are parasites which use 90% of the money they extract from the faithful to pay the staff and pay the direct bills (mortgage, utilities, etc...) of the church building itself. Only, on average, about 10% of the money extorted by churches ever ends up being used to help the needy........
Reference?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
So, to answer the question the OP put to us... If conservatives stopped giving to "charities" what would happen? Well, a bunch of worthless churches would go out of business but nothing of real impact to real people. In fact, the local economies would probably improve as tax free religious buildings got replaced by commercial or residential buildings which actually did pay taxes and thus contributed to the local community while individual families would have more to spend because they're not have a portion of their income extracted from them by shady religious hucksters peddling lies.

In short, I wish conservatives would stop giving money to "charities" because the world would actually become a better place.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The Politics of Giving - How America Gives - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

There is various other studies, all come to the same conclusion that Conservatives give more.

As far as the religious donation go that certainly plays a big factor but I'm of the opinion that most churches are very charitable. For example Utah is at the top of that list which would be driven by contributions to the Mormon church, during Hurricane Katrina they had tractor trailers on the road heading to NO before the storm even got there. That would be in addition to huge stockpiles they had locally.

Just because there is some churches out there that are really bad like the typical ones you see on TV you can't put them all into one box.
From the same study, when religious giving is taken out of the equation, the liberal northern and western states give a greater percentage then the bible belt.

Faith and Giving - How America Gives - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

If you looked at those with a higher educations, to those without a higher education, you'd find more going to charity's from those with a higher education.

Giving to a church/temple/mosque is not giving to a charity. It is giving to a religious business who MIGHT use some of it for charity work.
(I don't consider the 'expansion of the religion' as charity work)

Tithing a weekly percentage to a church is not charitable giving.

Last edited by plannine; 09-16-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
If conservatives stopped giving to "charity," then I guess the churches would have to close up shop.... since that is what the typical conservative "charitable giving" is, actually.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:35 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can do much better job allocating those funds to charity than the government can preferably directly to the people I want to benefit. Charity begins at home, charity that I give should benefit the people I want to benefit.
You took my statement out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, conservative atheists give the least of all. Do a search for the link; I've posted it before.
Which only makes sense. I mean, if you believe in your core that nearly all poor people are shiftless, lazy, worthless, and got there due to their own bad decisions, then it's only a short leap to say "they don't deserve my help."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies