Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:52 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

european american is too vague. african american only exists because most black americans have no idea where their ancestry comes from.

but with regard to the article, maybe this election season we'll see some blacks who don't vote for Obama simply because he's black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
european american is too vague. african american only exists because most black americans have no idea where their ancestry comes from.

but with regard to the article, maybe this election season we'll see some blacks who don't vote for Obama simply because he's black.
Even more of a reason, not to use that terminology.....

Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
I'm going to stick with just plain old American.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 PM

313 posts, read 329,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Not all whites need to be of European ancestry.
true, it's misleading also because there are Turks and black people in Europe. The Sami people of Scandinavia are not white and also native to europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Arabs for instance are also whites...
Not true...they are considered Caucasoid by bone structure but there have mixed lineage. An Arab is not the same as my ancestors.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Here is an article about about African-American Christians.

African-American Christians waver over vote - Yahoo! News

There really is no need for the continued separation of country of origin when you are a naturally-born American Citizen. However, since I don't see a move to stop using titles such as this, I think it's time white people started using the hyphenated European-American.

Please use European-American for all references pertaining to white people.
Hyphenated Americans are anti-American.

Quote:
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.

This is just as true of the man who puts "native" before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.

But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.

The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic.
He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.

Source: Theodore Roosevelt, Address to the Knights of Columbus, New York City, October 12 1915.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM

264 posts, read 266,518 times
Quote:

http://news.yahoo.com/african-americ...-election.html

There really is no need for the continued separation of country of origin when you are a naturally-born American Citizen. However, since I don't see a move to stop using titles such as this, I think it's time white people started using the hyphenated European-American.

Not all white people have European origin. We already have nonsense called "African-American" which for some reason discriminates against such Africans as Egyptians like all of Africa was Black.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I am an American with ancestors who are German born and raised with some from Sweden, Poland, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Maine, Massachusetts and Indiana with the other 1/2 of my ancestors being Cherokee. So I should say I am a Europeon -Swedish - Polish - American - Indian? Seriously? I think not, I'll stick to American.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:

African-American Christians waver over vote - Yahoo! News

I do not live my life obessed with race or skin color
mine or some one else
I am an american. period
I do not suffer from white guilt
so call yourself what ever you want but leave me out of it!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I'll always be PA Dutch, sorry

Me too, and SCHTOLZ fon (proud) of it!!!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
true, it's misleading also because there are Turks and black people in Europe. The Sami people of Scandinavia are not white and also native to europe.

Not true...they are considered Caucasoid by bone structure but there have mixed lineage. An Arab is not the same as my ancestors.
Caucasoid bone structure?! Do you mean the size of bones? Judging from the exterior there must also be a difference in the bone structure of the Dutch and Spaniards, but both are considered Europeans

In my view those pseudo-biological differences are rather weird to put it mildly. After all, humanity is one huge continuum, there are no clear lines between various humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies