Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A recent study examined people’s bodily responses while watching presidential campaign ads - and discovered another way that people avoid political information that challenges their beliefs.

In the last days of the 2008 campaign, researchers had people watch a variety of actual ads for Republican presidential candidate John McCain and his Democratic rival Barack Obama while the viewers’ heart rates, skin conductance and activation of facial muscles were monitored.

The results showed that partisan participants reacted strongly to ads featuring their favored candidate, but barely responded to ads featuring the rival candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I despise any campaign ad from any politician that is doing nothing more than smearing the other guy.
It comes across to me like they don't have a platform to stand on so they resort to smear tactics against their opponent.

Just give me YOUR platform. What are YOU going to do if elected.
Give me that information and let me make up my mind.

Don't go putting fear and panic into this. Telling me the world will end if the other guy is elected doesn't make me like you more.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Imagine that. People who have already made up their mind continue to support the message of the one they have decided to support.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I despise any campaign ad from any politician that is doing nothing more than smearing the other guy.
It comes across to me like they don't have a platform to stand on so they resort to smear tactics against their opponent.

Just give me YOUR platform. What are YOU going to do if elected.
Give me that information and let me make up my mind.

Don't go putting fear and panic into this. Telling me the world will end if the other guy is elected doesn't make me like you more.
Any candidate that does what you want will lose. Guaranteed. The reason smear campaigns are used is because they work. If candidate A takes advantage of that fact, but candidate B doesn't, candidate A will be a shoe-in every time.

Smear campaigns are nothing new. They've been used since the days of our founders. Like it or not, smear campaigns are a normal part of politics.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A recent study examined people’s bodily responses while watching presidential campaign ads - and discovered another way that people avoid political information that challenges their beliefs.

In the last days of the 2008 campaign, researchers had people watch a variety of actual ads for Republican presidential candidate John McCain and his Democratic rival Barack Obama while the viewers’ heart rates, skin conductance and activation of facial muscles were monitored.

The results showed that partisan participants reacted strongly to ads featuring their favored candidate, but barely responded to ads featuring the rival candidate.

Seriously? Talk about - not surprising. I mean we have been dealing with Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia For sometime.

"Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. . . They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations)." - Wikipedia Article noted above

Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Any candidate that does what you want will lose. Guaranteed. The reason smear campaigns are used is because they work. If candidate A takes advantage of that fact, but candidate B doesn't, candidate A will be a shoe-in every time.

Smear campaigns are nothing new. They've been used since the days of our founders. Like it or not, smear campaigns are a normal part of politics.
That`s true. Every election whether congressional,senatorial, or presidential, we hear the same thing...the masses saying how they despise negative ads. But then the negative ads work. Usually it`s the guy with a comfortable lead that wants to take the high road and say he doesn`t believe in negative campaigning. Then the guy trailing catches up to the leader by using negative ads and then the leader starts his negative campaign.

Kind of ironic in this election, that obama started negative ads from the get go. Obviously because as the incumbent he didn`t have the customary lead as things are so bad. So I guess his staff decided to go negative from the get go. Just look at the negative back and forth on this site. Each side proclaiming the end of the world if the other guy is elected. However, if things were so great for obama, he could just say, look at what I`ve done and he would be leading big time the same way he was swept into office. It`s a different story when you actually have a record and have to sit in the hot seat. You can`t just tell everyone how great things are gonna be once you are elected. Though obama seems to be getting away with it to some degree by telling the masses...yeah, things haven`t been that great the last 4yrs but it wasn`t my fault. Give me four more and I`ll really make it better. Eventhough that`s what he said 4 yrs ago. shrug.

It used to be you had 4 years to do what you promised. If you got it done, you could run on that record and get relected. If you failed, you were ousted. Now it seems just blame other people for all the negative stuff,take all the credit for anything positive and just keep telling people no matter how bad it is, it would have been worse without you. keep reinforcing no matter how bad it is,if the other guy gets in, it will be worse. That seems to work. Along with having most of the media not really take you to task for anything.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
It used to be you had 4 years to do what you promised. If you got it done, you could run on that record and get relected. If you failed, you were ousted. Now it seems just blame other people for all the negative stuff,take all the credit for anything positive and just keep telling people no matter how bad it is, it would have been worse without you. keep reinforcing no matter how bad it is,if the other guy gets in, it will be worse. That seems to work. Along with having most of the media not really take you to task for anything.
I agree. Obama is not running on his record as much as he's running on smear Romney.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
In today's world, Dems simply oppose Republican ads because they're just plain WRONG.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
In today's world, Dems simply oppose Republican ads because they're just plain WRONG.
Or vice versa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies