Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well you are still in a private company so basically "tough luck." you don't own that business or run that business and you are just a worker who can always be replaced.
You are so fixated on capitalism that you fail to see the bigger picture of how social issues are destroying us as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
hmm, I guess I am wrong. Though this makes it funnier to see Republicans lose when elections should be so much easier for them....also makes me wonder how many of those Moderates lean to the left. But I guess I can see why the right pander to the far right because they have a strong far right base. Though I have no problem letting the Republicans scare off the Moderates so that they vote Democrat during the elections.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are so fixated on capitalism that you fail to see the bigger picture of how social issues are destroying us as a nation.
No, I am fixated on the fact that you work for a private company, a private company can do what they want when it comes to office policies, and it sounds like they have no interest catering to any form of religion and they simply want you to work.

You can blame that all on society all you want, but society didn't make any rules that you can't display Christmas stuff in your office, it was your employers who decided that was not needed in their office.

You have a problem with that, maybe you should inform your employer of this problem.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
But for 15 of the 20 years I was there, this was not an issue. It has nothing to do with "capitalism" because the same PC crap is going on in schools with the sensitivity to holidays so no decorations.
I agree. I work for a private company and frankly, I'm surprised we still have Christmas decorations everywhere, but I'm not complaining!! I am becoming more and more agnostic, almost atheist, but I consider Christmas to be part of the AMERICAN culture, not just Christian. When our kids are celebrating Cinco de Mayo, but banned from celebrating Xmas, something is wrong.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, many people are confused about our freedom of speech. It means the government, any government including state, and local, cannot restrict what a person says.

It doesn't included families, work or social situations. There is the right to speak your mind and then, there are good manners. I was raised that blowing one's nose while in the company of others was offensive. So we all go to a private place for personal hygiene.

Same thing with bare feet. Some people don't want to look at others bare feet. I never thought about religion, just manners.

Consideration of others has almost vanished from view. It can be seen in the way we drive, behave at ballgames and movies, and use our communication devices. My friend has season tickets to the Texans, 50 yard line 3 row. The ticket holders in front of them stand up the entire game. My friend must have paid a fortune for those tickets and they can't even see the field. The folks standing have been implored by all those around them to please sit, but they refuse.

I would never forfeit freedom of speech. I will always support consideration of others.
The practice of consideration of others before acting or speaking, just because it is the decent thing to do, seems to have decreased as the demand for PC by regulation, or you get fined/sued, grew. Every time government takes over a job, it takes more work, is less effective, and people are less satisfied.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I am fixated on the fact that you work for a private company, a private company can do what they want when it comes to office policies, and it sounds like they have no interest catering to any form of religion and they simply want you to work.

You can blame that all on society all you want, but society didn't make any rules that you can't display Christmas stuff in your office, it was your employers who decided that was not needed in their office.

You have a problem with that, maybe you should inform your employer of this problem.
This is also being practiced in public schools, which are NOT private.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I agree. I work for a private company and frankly, I'm surprised we still have Christmas decorations everywhere, but I'm not complaining!! I am becoming more and more agnostic, almost atheist, but I consider Christmas to be part of the AMERICAN culture, not just Christian. When our kids are celebrating Cinco de Mayo, but banned from celebrating Xmas, something is wrong.
I agree. Can't have a christmas tree in the classroom but pinatas are all over the place for Cinco de Mayo.
I only shake my head.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
More selective outrage from those who only want certain types of free speech, not true free speech. If it offends someone from a group they've taken under their wing for protection, it's hate speech. If it offends someone else, it's acceptable free speech.

For example, it's hateful to make statements critical of or satire directed towards Islam, but artwork that features a Christian cross soaking in urine or an image of Mary surrounded with elephant excrement is not only accepted, but even hang in public galleries.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just because.....why are the Christians upset at Christmas time? Is it because they have been asked to stop what has been common practice for decades to not offend anyone?

How is it now the fault of those who get upset over policies like not saying Merry Christmas the ones in the wrong in the context of this discussion?

Quote:
I'm a victim of that "War on Christmas" from over PC-ness.
I am the one that hangs christmas decorations in the halls and on people's doors in December.
I kept it secular..Santa, Christmas trees, garland, sleigh bells, etc. Gave a nice cheer to our aisle and I got a lot of complements over it.

Then one year a guy comes up to me and says.."You don't have any Hannakuh decorations." I was slightly taken back because I kept religion out of this. But I did tell him to bring in his Hannakuh decorations and put them up on the walls alongside mine and there was plenty of room. He never did.

Then the next year we get a memo from corporate.."No decorations in the halls or on your doors. We are a diverse company and need to be tolerant of others who work here." We could only put decorations on our desk.

I was so bummed out. Halloween and Christmas were my favorite decorating holidays.
It's not just the "war on Christmas", that was only one example of their complaining. 2 companies ago, the right wing Christians comprised about 80% of employees...and complained bitterly about any concessions made to those of other faiths. I was the only "public" Jew there, and people complained about me not decorating my cube at Christmastime. When I pointed out that I was Jewish and did not celebrate Christmas, they asked "Well, would you MIND decorating?" Um...yes, I mind. I'm not asking you to put dreidels and menorahs in your cube, so keep your stupid Christmas trees and Santas out of mine.

The Christians could take Ash Wednesday off with no issues but when I took the high holy days off, people griped. People put silly bunnies and other Easter-y crap around, but when I left work on time so I could go to a Passover seder, people complained.

People at my last job complained that I did not pick up my phone when I was on-call when I was at temple, but the Christians didn't answer their phones in church either and nobody bitched about that.

Stuff like that. It's not just Christmas. I don't really give a crap about Christmas. Call the party a Christmas party. Say merry Christmas. I don't care. Just don't ask me to participate. And you sure as hell better not REQUIRE my participation.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not just the "war on Christmas", that was only one example of their complaining. 2 companies ago, the right wing Christians comprised about 80% of employees...and complained bitterly about any concessions made to those of other faiths. I was the only "public" Jew there, and people complained about me not decorating my cube at Christmastime. When I pointed out that I was Jewish and did not celebrate Christmas, they asked "Well, would you MIND decorating?" Um...yes, I mind. I'm not asking you to put dreidels and menorahs in your cube, so keep your stupid Christmas trees and Santas out of mine.

The Christians could take Ash Wednesday off with no issues but when I took the high holy days off, people griped. People put silly bunnies and other Easter-y crap around, but when I left work on time so I could go to a Passover seder, people complained.

People at my last job complained that I did not pick up my phone when I was on-call when I was at temple, but the Christians didn't answer their phones in church either and nobody bitched about that.

Stuff like that. It's not just Christmas. I don't really give a crap about Christmas. Call the party a Christmas party. Say merry Christmas. I don't care. Just don't ask me to participate. And you sure as hell better not REQUIRE my participation.
You don't have a Christian problem, you have an a-hole problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies