Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Why would he have freedom of speech at the rodeo? Is the rodeo the government?
That question is too simple for me. Freedom of speech isn't just something that you have because a government is involved. I don't think that you have much understanding of freedom of speech. We are getting to that point very fast these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
National Geographic? Geez what else could it have been?

“Playboy is offering Ann Romney $250,000 to pose in the magazine, and the White House is upset because National Geographic only offered Michelle Obama $50 to pose for them.”
I do wonder if many people know what so many of the NG women wear on their upper bodies.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
OK Professor. What was the joke?
Are you unaware of the old jokes concerning the topless women in Africa often shown in NG?

If you are young, it's likely that the joke is too old for you. That's not a knock on you.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So why is it in poor taste then?
Just what I was going to ask Eddie. I don't see what is such poor taste. I guess we have to think about what the hearers will think before we exercise our thoughts.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Wake up. The joke is that Mrs Obama is a monkey.
Who in hell said that other than some of the Muslims in the Middle East. See it is how your mind works that determines what he said.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My company also reserves the right to hire and fire people, and racist jokes are a highway to the unemployment stats. You can cry about freedom of speech all the way to the soup kitchen.
Here is the one who can explain what about that joke was racist. Please do because I just can't find it in the words that paper printed.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That was a bad joke, but then I never liked racial jokes anyway.
What in hell was racist in that joke. I think that people who saw racism in it have a problem with racism themselves. There were no words in that newspaper that even sounded racist. I am beginning to see why leaners consider me a racist when I say things about Obama.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:14 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,659 times
Quote:
Wake up. The joke is that Mrs Obama is a monkey.
National Geographic features a range of animals from North Pole to South Pole and his joke had nothing to do with monkeys, so yeah, I still don't see it. Sorry.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Just what I was going to ask Eddie. I don't see what is such poor taste. I guess we have to think about what the hearers will think before we exercise our thoughts.
This is a good point worthy of discussion. Now I noted what I think of this particular joke but many other times there are claims of racism where someone simply is not aware of the context or are not aware of what is being discussed outside of their own perception.

The older story about people getting upset at a professor using the term *****rdly would be a good example of that.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Apparently this rodeo clown (as well as others) needs to learn that the freedom of speech does not mean that there are no consequences to speech. Just because he has the freedom to make a bad racist joke doesn't mean he's free from the consequences of saying it (while on the job, no less).

He wasn't jailed, fined, beaten, or killed. He still has his freedom of speech. It just merely means that this rodeo may not use his services as an independent contractor anymore.
As I have asked so many others what in hell in that report showed any kind of racism. It is only in the mind of the beholder that racism shows up as near as I can tell. You tell me the words that were about racism. I have to say that I saw the man suggesting that one mag wanted to put the pictures of one wife who is the wife of the Republican candidate and the other wanted to pay much less for the pictures of the President. I guess is depends on who you are talking about whether you are talking race. I think that too many people put too much dependence on race these days to determine what multicultural means.

Please tell me what about that was racist in the words of the clown. You saw it as racist but I don't think it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies