Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
What's your threshold for participation in global warming where you decide that we should get off our duffs and, just perhaps, rethink a few things?

Sounds like it's 100%. Only if humans are 100% responsible are you willing to change what you are doing? Well, aren't you lucky - you just won't have to change.
I've always lived below my means, which by most measures minimizes impact. I used BART when I was younger. Caltrain later. I'm a big walker. I'm closing in on 60 and still about 150# and could probably outlast half the young kids out there. In a big year I might drive 8,000 miles. My vice is the RV, which we use a few thousand miles a year. Consider it offset.

We didn't have AC for years. Heating was electric baseboard and only used occasionally. That's one advantage of living in Palo Alto. I'd put my carbon footprint up against just about anyone.

Just because I'm a greedy, rich white republican doesn't mean I don't understand the economic benefits of living responsibly. That's how lots of us got wealthy. How's that for weird irony?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You Warmers just got through telling us that the loss of the ARCTIC ice cap would result in widespread flooding....
I don't think so...Where did you see that? The loss of the Antarctic ice cap and the massive Greenland glaciers would do that because they sit on land. All the increasing Arctic ice melt is telling us is that the northern hemisphere is warming faster than the south. Since it is sea ice it has no effect on sea levels..... The warming of the north is what is causing the rapid melt of Greenland's glaciers, which is raising sea levels...Greenland contains enough ice to raise the global sea level by 25 feet, so we'd better hope this does not continue. See the chart below...( a gigaton is one billion tons) Arctic sea ice just hit a record low. Here’s why it matters.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
What total ignorance.

In 1974, we did not have supercomputers to handle the complex climate data involved, years of accrued satellite images, the plethora of instruments we now have, or deep ice core drilling that tells us exactly what the climate has been over hundreds of thousands of years and beyond.

Is it so hard for you to comprehend that we've made a few advances in research in the last 40 years?
More bullcrap. They use the same ice core samples and ocean sediment samples they used in the seventies to push the global cooling crap they use today to push the global warming crap. What do you think the ice all melted and they took new samples? LOL

AS to your super duper computers they have already been caught over and over again manipulating the data they plug into the models so that is strike three on your thread.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why change if there is no reason to?

It's idiotic to disregard 750,000 years of past climate data, only analyze the last 90 or so years and proclaim mankind understands the climate..

Talk about arrogance.....
You actually think only the last 90 years have been analyzed? have you not heard on paleoclimatology?

Global Climate Change: Research Explorer - Cryosphere

Paleoclimatology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Data Access and Data Contribution - WDC for Paleoclimatology

Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
More bullcrap. They use the same ice core samples and ocean sediment samples they used in the seventies to push the global cooling crap they use today to push the global warming crap. What do you think the ice all melted and they took new samples? LOL

AS to your super duper computers they have already been caught over and over again manipulating the data they plug into the models so that is strike three on your thread.
Where did you get you degree in Paleoclimatology...Don't have one? I didn't think so.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Who is disregarding 750,000 years of climate data and only analyzing the past 90? Seems like you have no idea what you are talking about.

Talk about ignorance...
IPCC HOCKEY STICK CURVE DEBUNKED STILL FURTHER

Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Debunked by non scientists three years ago....Not credible...There is a lot more evidence than the "hockey stick" that you deniers keep bringing up time after time...Did you ever look at the sites I linked too? How about addressing the info in those.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Not at all true...They have not stopped taking and sampling ice cores... NOAA Paleoclimatology Recent Contributions

Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
So where does it show the last 750000 years were disregarded in your link?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
IF they have stopped taking them than what are they using? Oh that's right the same ones they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies