Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
What the bolded really means is that the greedy coal mine operators routinely had accidents where hundreds of people were killed so OSHA has gotten involved to make sure regulations are actually followed so that workers stop getting killed by the hundreds.

Sorry, but that's a good thing and it simply isn't the reason those mines are closing. The ONLY reason those mines are closing is because the market no longer demands what they're producing.
And may I add, if people do not want clean air to breathe, or clean water to drink, I hope they have a bunker built with an unlimited supply of drinking water and oxygen bottles to get them through the time it would take for our natural resources to clean themselves up.

It would take a rich, very rich person a long time to stockpile those kinds of resources.

If people want clean air and water and end up having it from now to enternity, blame a enviromentalist and a liberal for giving them what they need to live.

OSHA? isn't that one of those fed. departments Willard wanted to eliminate? we know one was the EPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh Really??

$28.9B, ahhh, that's not much! just a drop in a bucket.

Why are U.S. taxpayers subsidizing coal mining? | Grist
That's less than a billion dollars a year, do you have any idea how that compares to the economic benefits?

You're missing my point though, it's drop in the bucket compared to the industry as a whole. If those subsidies are removed it's a blip on the radar screen for the consumer especially considering most of it is for R&D. If you remove the subsidies for the renewable sectors the industry collapses overnight.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Fracking is killing coal. Not regulation.
See my post above on the Sierra Clubs stance now, any comments on that?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
What the bolded really means is that the greedy coal mine operators routinely had accidents where hundreds of people were killed so OSHA has gotten involved to make sure regulations are actually followed so that workers stop getting killed by the hundreds.

Sorry, but that's a good thing and it simply isn't the reason those mines are closing. The ONLY reason those mines are closing is because the market no longer demands what they're producing.

False, the reason mining is seen as such a dangerous job is because when an accident does happen it's likely many will be killed. Overall you're safer in a mine than working at such common jobs like store clerk or driving a truck. I don't see anyone advocating for more regulations on store clerks.

Up until the recent accident they had the average down to less than 10 miners killed year. Accidents will happen in any industry bar none.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
False, the reason mining is seen as such a dangerous job is because when an accident does happen it's likely many will be killed. Overall you're safer in a mine that working as store clerk or driving a truck. I don't see anyone advocating for more regulations on store clerks.

Maybe not on store clerks, but check out the pile of regulations heaped on truck drivers, beginning when Elizabeth Dole was Ronald Reagan's Secretary of Transportation.

The GOP likes to rail against government regulations, but they've been at the forefront of piling them up higher and deeper for decades when in office. They'll say one thing to get elected, then do the exact opposite once in office.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's less than a billion dollars a year, do you have any idea how that compares to the economic benefits?

You're missing my point though, it's drop in the bucket compared to the industry as a whole. If those subsidies are removed it's a blip on the radar screen for the consumer especially considering most of it is for R&D. If you remove the subsidies for the renewable sectors the industry collapses overnight.
Please, don't tell us about a drop in a bucket, and how cheap human life or how a market won't survive.
Gas and wind and solar are way down the road, and alpha is restructuring ahead of market predicitons.

Human life: priceless when you consider that people who worked in coal mines years ago died from black lung, I have a deceased uncle and great uncle who died breathing kentucky coal mine dust. Coal is bad, but I wouldn't expect a business person who is in the coal industry to admit that.

I haven't missed any of your points at all. Coal will survive for many generations to come, trust me, the Union Pacific will see to that.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Maybe not on store clerks, but check out the pile of regulations heaped on truck drivers, beginning when Elizabeth Dole was Ronald Reagan's Secretary of Transportation.

The GOP likes to rail against government regulations, but they've been at the forefront of piling them up higher and deeper for decades when in office. They'll say one thing to get elected, then do the exact opposite once in office.
So, after yet another deflection, do you actually have anything to add to the conversation as relates the shutting down of the mines?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
One of the reasons natural gas is favored for new electrical generators is they are far more efficient because they use energy produced when the gas is combusted in a gas turbine engine as well as the residual heat from the turbine exhaust to power a steam boiler and turbine engine. A coal fired boiler and steam turbine use only the latter part of the combined cycle gas fueled power plant. The gas fueled plant has far lower fuel consumption for each Kw-Hr of electricity generated. In addition these new plants require far less room and have fewer emissions.

IMHO the Sierra Club is less concerned with a clean environment than with its own self aggrandizement. It has at its core a broad streak of anti-humanism. I do not consider them to be an environmental organization at all. I consider them to be a very upper crust travel planner catering only to the people with the wealth of time and money to actually visit their “Great Outdoors” for a “Wilderness Experience”. They are more concerned with the proper people having a great time than the illegal workers cleaning the campgrounds and building the trails in the mountains. Just another bunch off stuck up snobs.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
And may I add, if people do not want clean air to breathe, or clean water to drink, I hope they have a bunker built with an unlimited supply of drinking water and oxygen bottles to get them through the time it would take for our natural resources to clean themselves up.

It would take a rich, very rich person a long time to stockpile those kinds of resources.

If people want clean air and water and end up having it from now to enternity, blame a enviromentalist and a liberal for giving them what they need to live.

OSHA? isn't that one of those fed. departments Willard wanted to eliminate? we know one was the EPA.
Instead of being emotional and using baseless doomsday scenarios you need to do a little research. There are practical limits, for example I often point out we can produce a car that is 100% survivable in crash but that is kind of pointless if no one can afford the car. The energy industry is much the same way, we need practical and sane regulation of pollutants.

For example the recent mercury standards will reduce the deposition rates in the US from 1% to 10%. The issue with mercury is primarily neurological and estimates suggest that these reductions will increase the average IQ 2/1000 of one point. That sounds sane and practical to you?

As far as the overall Air Quality air pollution has been dropping since the 80's, most of these reductions are from the 1990 amendment to the Clean Air Act passed by Congress that was proposed by Bush. So where is the practical limit?

Air Quality Trends | AirTrends | Air & Radiation | EPA

Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
As a scientist that has studied the effects of Mercury pollution from most coal fired power plants I believe fitting controls to be a waste of time, money and effort. it would be more effective to reduce Mercury in all of the small fluorescent lamps being pushed on the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies