Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How does someone move if they have neither money nor a car nor a place to stay when they get there?
I don't know. Why don't you hold a seance, channel the pioneers and ask them or the hundreds of thousands of immigrants that have come into this country for this last 200 years.

What a wimpy, helpless society we have become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Wait a minute...I'm poor and I can't afford training. Why should TANF recipients get special treatment?
You can go to the DOL in your state/county and they will give you special treatment too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
You know what is missing from this whole discussion? The willingness to move.

I see a lot of posts, "There are no jobs here." Then do what your ancestors did for thousands of years to MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD IS. Follow that cheese, stupid little mouse!

Seriously though. We are the first society in history that was designed so that people didn't HAVE to follow the food. This is a very bad development, nothing good can come of it.

Yes, there is no longer any shame associated with going on "relief". That shame was a good thing. It was good from the standpoint of providing a good role model for your children and it was good for society. Now, people just say, "But I don't want to move to North Dakota, it's cold there and all of my friends live here!" and everyone thinks that is a perfectly acceptable response.

I moved 1600 miles away for a job and my family is better off for it.
I actually agree with this. People can move if they want, it doesn't take that much money to move somewhere. I have had relatives move with no job and live at the Salvation Army while they saved money to get a place. It can be done if you have the wherewithal. I feel it is harder if you have kids, but honestly, if I lost my job right now, and couldn't find another, either I or my husband would move somewhere where we could work and then the rest of us would come later.

And FWIW, people still do this. I have had a couple friends who used to live in the Detroit area move to Wisconsin of all places and Wyoming for jobs. They were black and there were few black people in the places they moved to, but they wanted a good job and so they went and both are happy with their decisions.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You can go to the DOL in your state/county and they will give you special treatment too.

??? They told me that when I reach a magic age of eligibility I could get on a waiting list which is a mile long and by the way our funding is pending for next year so we don't know what we're going to get.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Benefits of living in a state racing to the bottom.

Rick Perry and his Texas jobs boom: The whole story - Aug. 12, 2011
Nice article from over a year ago.

I wouldv'e thought you could've found something a little more current than yesteryears news...

Also, this line is so full of BS

Texas, however, still faces many challenges on the jobs front. Many of the positions that have been created are on the lower end of the pay scale. Some 550,000 workers last year were paid at or below the federal minimum wage of $7.25, more than double the number making those wages in 2008, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Uh hello that's why its called minimum wage. If you're making less than $7.75 its obviously under the table, tax free, illegal immigrant type work or you're a waiter making tips on top of that.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-01-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies