U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 AM

29,215 posts, read 52,052,403 times

Advertisements

A suburban Denver man who was diagnosed with "popcorn lung," possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate, has won a $7.2 million verdict against various food companies.

Coloradoan wins $7 million in popcorn lung lawsuit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 16,093,658 times
haha just saw this article recently
Promotion of US popcorn on the rise; USDA gave board $250K to up sales | Business - The News Tribune

The numbers given in the article are somewhat unclear, but it appears that the US taxpayer will spend $500,000 this year to promote popcorn via the 'Popcorn Board' created by Congress in 1996 (would have been under Gingrich). At the same time a guy wins $7 million from his popcorn lawsuit.

Your tax dollars (and trial lawyers) at work, get us coming and going.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 AM

34,650 posts, read 38,251,711 times
How does one prove their respiratory problems were caused by SMELLING something as specific as the butter-flavoring on their microwave popcorn? Does it leave a calling card of some sort?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 AM

102 posts, read 90,181 times
I'm sure one or more of chemical flavorings used have been documented to cause respiratory irritation. A lab probably preformed some sort of biopsy the chemical was likely present in the lung tissue along with inflammation.

The most important thing is that this was a successful outcome of the individual vs. our corporate rulers. Take what you can from them because they are working diligently to take all that they can from you.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:52 AM

15,028 posts, read 24,629,568 times
Reminds me of when I worked in an office - I had to leave the break room when someone microwaved popcorn. Ugh - that smell would penetrate my sinuses in a horrible fashion. I never understood how some folks would go wild like a cat smelling tuna juice and I'd be clamoring for the exit. Good for the winner in the lawsuit - hope we have a few more of these suits and people can switch back to real popcorn with real butter. What a novel idea.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:39 AM

18,782 posts, read 16,093,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How does one prove their respiratory problems were caused by SMELLING something as specific as the butter-flavoring on their microwave popcorn? Does it leave a calling card of some sort?

Depends how the law is written. The 'proof' might be a study done somewhere, sometime. A friend of mine was a longtime weightlifter who wound up with a bunch of leg and arm issues. He sued his employer and got a big settlement. He told me that due to the way state law was written, his years of weightlifting was considered irrelevent, and the onus for his problems all fell on the employer.

This is in WA state; presumably the laws are written to the specs of trial lawyers and unions. It can be good or bad for the individual, but it's always good for the lawyers.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,678,042 times
All you have to do is look at how the artificial butter flavor is made --- margarine for example has been known to be harmful -- look how similar the molecules are to plastic.

Real butter is the way to go. And often you can use real olive oil instead of butter. I wonder why people started thinking artificial was better than natural.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM

49,372 posts, read 21,324,675 times
I'd bet it will be overturned just as the case of the woman who sued McDonald's for the hot coffee.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,598,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Reminds me of when I worked in an office - I had to leave the break room when someone microwaved popcorn. Ugh - that smell would penetrate my sinuses in a horrible fashion. I never understood how some folks would go wild like a cat smelling tuna juice and I'd be clamoring for the exit. Good for the winner in the lawsuit - hope we have a few more of these suits and people can switch back to real popcorn with real butter. What a novel idea.
Yeah lets see if this idea catches on with popcorn companies now too.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:26 PM

39,564 posts, read 25,283,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I'd bet it will be overturned just as the case of the woman who sued McDonald's for the hot coffee.
that one was reduced, not overturned altogether. this one will definitely be appealed.

Quote:
The disease bronchiolitis obliterans, which permanently scars airways and leaves victims fighting for breath, was first detected in popcorn factory workers.

Watson's diagnosis was made by doctors at National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Denver.

National Institute of Occupational Health scientists determined that fumes of the chemical diacetyl in artificial butter flavoring was the agent.

Centennial man with "popcorn lung" disease gets $7.3 million award - The Denver Post
^ says here he ate 2-3 bags per day for over a decade. now that's a man who loves his popcorn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies