Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the hanging chair a racist statement?
Yes it was obviously a racist statement. 54 43.20%
No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement. 69 55.20%
Other opinion - please explain. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He hung the chair to draw attention to it - like he said - some people are stupid and they let misconceptions turn the statement into something that it was not.

Why do you seem to have the idea that any criticism of President Obama must have racial undertones? Aren't we supposed to have gotten past that in this republic? Can't the man be critiicized based on the content of his character and the results of his actions rather than by the color of his skin?

Seriously - the only racists appear to be the people who see racial connotations in everything.
Oh my God....

I'm just not gonna try. I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 01:38 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Oh my God....

I'm just not gonna try. I'm done.
Good - because your position is nonsensical and indefensible.

It is the product of an imagination run amok - causing you to see things that aren't there(maybe you are taking the empty chair thing to0 far) and I fear that thinking like you seem to do can't be very good for your health.

It is sad that political speech can be squelched by such erroneous reasoning.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 PM
JJG

Quote:
Good - because your position is nonsensical and indefensible.

It is the product of an imagination run amok - causing you to see things that aren't there(maybe you are taking the empty chair thing to far) and I fear that thinking like you seem to do can't be very good for your health.
Yeah... my position is nonsensical and indefensible... even though I JUST gave you the definative reason for why this is seen as racist.

Good logic, there.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah... my position is nonsensical and indefensible... even though I JUST gave you the definative reason for why this is seen as racist.

Good logic, there.
But the statement was not racist - the empty chair represents the president being out of touch with the reality that the American people live with under the disastrous policies implemented by his administration. It is only your leap of imagination that is is informing you that there may be further "meaning".

By the way - looks like TCU is going to win - good! Can't wait till they start Big 12 play - I think that they will be very impressive this year.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:00 PM
JJG

Quote:
But the statement was not racist - the empty chair represents the president being out of touch with the reality that the American people live with under the disastrous policies implemented by his administration. It is only your leap of imagination that is is informing you that there may be further "meaning".
.... wow. THAT'S a leap.

The chair still represents the PRESIDENT. When Eastwood was talking to the chair, he was "talking" to "Obama".

Now why does it have to hang from a tree?

Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Now why does it have to hang from a tree?
So that it will be noticed.

I have a chair sitting in front of the house. I also fly a flag. It isn't a political statement - the chair is for people to sit in when they are outside - and the flag is always flown. Just putting a chair out front isn't going to get the attention of anyone - it is commonplace. Attaching it to the tree makes it visible and attracts attention.

Now if the president were a white man - we wouldn't be having this discussion - and Clint Eastwood could have given his speech for that person because the chair has no racial connotations - it represents the president "not being there".

It is clear that you see the president as a black man first - and as the president second - otherwise you would not have seen the chair and thought "lynching".

I see the man as the president of the United States and not a very good one at that.

Get over your racial hangups - it is good to be ""colorblind". You will be able to reason much more clearly and won't be spreading division.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 PM
JJG

Quote:
So that it will be noticed.

I have a chair sitting in front of the house. I also fly a flag. It isn't a political statement - the chair is for people to sit in when they are outside - and the flag is always flown. Just putting a chair out front isn't going to get the attention of anyone - it is commonplace. Attaching it to the tree makes it visible and attracts attention.

Now if the president were a white man - we wouldn't be having this discussion - and Clint Eastwood could have given his speech for that person because the chair has no racial connotations - it represents the president "not being there".

It is clear that you see the president as a black man first - and as the president second - otherwise you would not have seen the chair and thought "lynching".
I see the man as the president of the United States and not a very good one at that.

Get over your racial hangups - it is good to be ""colorblind". You will be able to reason much more clearly and won't be spreading division.

Yeah, nice assumptions.

Look, if you personally don't see this as racist.... whatever.

But if you can't understand WHY people would see this as racist, then you're as naive as they come.

While I don't have any "racial hang ups" and don't see EVERY criticism as racist against Obama, I'm also not dumb enough to believe that there are NEVER racial components when it comes to it. I'm not spreading any division because that division has always been there, regardless of what centruy it is.

I'll be leaving now, I actually have more important things to take care of.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:44 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
No, actually, one has to put two and two together.

Empty Chair = Obama (the Clint Eastwood bit from the RNC, remember?)

Chair is hanging from rope = lynching.

... I don't see how you don't get that.
I don't get how it is a Racist statement.
Lynching, was not just for the black man, back in the day.

The mob rule mentality, will lynch who ever they perceive as the enemy for revenge, be they black, white, brown, yellow or orange.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:

While I don't have any "racial hang ups" and don't see EVERY criticism as racist against Obama, I'm also not dumb enough to believe that there are NEVER racial components when it comes to it.
While it is true that there often are racial components to some speech - there were none in this case.

That is what you seem to be missing.

The empty chair metaphor is very apt: you truly are seeing something that isn't there.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I don't get how it is a Racist statement.
Lynching, was not just for the black man, back in the day.

The mob rule mentality, will lynch who ever they perceive as the enemy for revenge, be they black, white, brown, yellow or orange.
Notice how anyone who fails to immediately toe the politically correct line and call this a racial incident - is being metaphorically lynched here on this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies