Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the hanging chair a racist statement?
Yes it was obviously a racist statement. 54 43.20%
No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement. 69 55.20%
Other opinion - please explain. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Oh, and you said "in spite of any evidence otherwise."

The only "evidence" we have that it wasn't racially motivated was the man saying so. Sorry, but that's not enough for me. He had news cameras in his face. Do you REALLY expect him to have admitted that his act was racially motivated if it, indeed, was? I don't.

The only fact we have is that the chair was hanging from the tree. Everything else is mere speculation.
Yes, there is no evidence that he intended anything more then he said he did.

You declared him guilty with out any evidence. Purely based on your judgement, based on your prejudices, with nothing to substantiate them. Under our system of justice you must have evidence that what he was guilty. And there is none.

No evidence = not guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
How can anyone NOT think that's racist. I agree it gets overused a lot but this is pretty obvious. If he just placed a chair on his front lawn with a sign that says NoBama then I would say it's not but the fact that he took the time to tie a string to the chair and place it up in a tree shows intent to me. Frankly this guy should be embarrassed and everyone, Republican and Democrat, should be disgusted by this.
Not so, he suspended a chair from a string in his front yard to demonstrate his opinion that he agreed the chair was empty. How is an empty chair any less of a statement that he agrees the chair is empty? It his his civil right to suspend anything he wants from a string in his front yard and to make any political statement he wants. Do you not believe in civil rights?

Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Unless he's really stupid or like, 8 years old, I don't see how he could NOT sense that people would find this racist.

Some people, like you and Leonard Pitts, thinks a fence post is racist.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Not so, he suspended a chair from a string in his front yard to demonstrate his opinion that he agreed the chair was empty. How is an empty chair any less of a statement that he agrees the chair is empty? It his his civil right to suspend anything he wants from a string in his front yard and to make any political statement he wants. Do you not believe in civil rights?
He went to a lot of trouble to make that point. I thought "put a chair in your lawn" day was Labor Day weekend? He hung the chair. That depicts hanging.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Yes, there is no evidence that he intended anything more then he said he did.

You declared him guilty with out any evidence. Purely based on your judgement, based on your prejudices, with nothing to substantiate them. Under our system of justice you must have evidence that what he was guilty. And there is none.

No evidence = not guilty.
I'm not in a court of law. I didn't declare him guilty. I stated my opinion, which is what you were asking for with your poll, isn't it, Cptn? My opinion (just as everyone else's) will naturally be based on my judgement and my prejudices.

In my opinion, his actions and reaction were all suspect. You and I are different people who come from different walks of life. My opinion stands.

And I have incessantly stated that you, nor anyone else, knows if his actions were racially motivated. So none of us can make that determination.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
He went to a lot of trouble to make that point. I thought "put a chair in your lawn" day was Labor Day weekend? He hung the chair. That depicts hanging.
A chair on the lawn is just a chair on the lawn. He wanted to make a political statement that he agreed with Clint Eastwood that the "chair was empty", so he suspended an "empty chair" and put a flag on it to draw attention to his political statementy. That is not a depiction of a hanging. Your insistence on seeing it as racist, is bigotry.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I'm not in a court of law. I didn't declare him guilty. I stated my opinion, which is what you were asking for with your poll, isn't it, Cptn? My opinion (just as everyone else's) will naturally be based on my judgement and my prejudices.

In my opinion, his actions and reaction were all suspect. You and I are different people who come from different walks of life. My opinion stands.

And I have incessantly stated that you, nor anyone else, knows if his actions were racially motivated. So none of us can make that determination.
No, I did not ask for your opinon. I asked:
Quote:
Was the hanging chair a racist statement?

- Yes it was obviously a racist statement.
- No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement.
You keep insisting, in your opinion, that it was a racist statement, that he must be considered guilty without any proof otherwise.

That is an unacceptable determination of guilt in any civilized world.

I am saying there is no evidence he is guilty. Period.

And your insistence that he is guilty, in your opinion, is bigotry.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
You are saying, in your opinion, he must be considered guilty until proven innocent.

Again, were you not asking for opinions with your poll??? Regardless of WHAT my opinion is (and I'm free to have my own opinion), can I not state it since you asked? And did I not already state that I am not in a court of law? I did not determine his "guilt?" I simply stated my OPINION. I will say for the trillionth time...YOU don't know if he is "guilty" or not. You do NOT know what his intentions were. You will NEVER know. I am not trying to be correct. I am just expressing what you asked for....my opinion.

Or wait....if my opinion opposes yours, I shouldn't state it? Is that it?

If so, maybe you should've only given one option in your "poll."

Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
No, I did not ask for your opinon. I asked:

You keep insisting, in your opinion, that it was a racist statement, that he must be considered guilty without any proof otherwise.

LOL w/ the "guilty" thing. Okay, you win. You can continue to play attorney/judge/jury if you want to.

But anyway...now that you've edited your post...we are ALMOST understanding each other. It's my OPINION. That's IT.

Wasn't that a poll in your OP? And isn't a poll a survey of public opinion??? So yes, with your poll, you asked for my OPINION. Which is what I have been GIVING you.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
A chair on the lawn is just a chair on the lawn. He wanted to make a political statement that he agreed with Clint Eastwood that the "chair was empty", so he suspended an "empty chair" and put a flag on it to draw attention to his political statementy. That is not a depiction of a hanging. Your insistence on seeing it as racist, is bigotry.
Uh, huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
BREAKING NEWS:

Monday Sept. 3, 2012 is National Empty Chair Day in support of Clint Eastwood's RNC speech.

Help spread the word!

http://twitchy.com/2012/09/02/monday-is-empty-chair-day/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies