Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the hanging chair a racist statement?
Yes it was obviously a racist statement. 54 43.20%
No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement. 69 55.20%
Other opinion - please explain. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

So, do you honestly think this man intended his hanging the chair to symbolize a lynching?

He originally hung the empty chair from a tree branch in his yard. The next day he added the American flag. It is obviously a political statement, but is it necessarily a racist statement?

Film footage of confrontation with the man while he takes down the empty chair.

KEYE TV We Are Austin.com :: News - Raw News - Austin Man Hangs Empty Chair From Tree Symbolizing President Obama

BOR: Republican Lynches Empty Chair in Racist Presidential Effigy in Northwest Austin

BOR: Republican Takes Down Lynched Chair, Claims Symbol Wasn't Racist

Link to photo: http://www.burntorangereport.com/upl...ched-chair.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
I think he was trying to say something. It's not clear at all what he was trying to say. I think he's confused.

If i had driven by and seen it, I would have thought it was just kids playing. I would not have made a connection with the election.

It was just odd.

But I betcha it's gonna get copied now.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
If he had tied a noose, maybe? Very odd, and obviously his point was lost in translation somewhere. Seems like a stretch to call it racist, but who knows?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,234 times
Unless he's really stupid or like, 8 years old, I don't see how he could NOT sense that people would find this racist.

OK, you want to symbolize killing the president (that's another problem), but everyone knows that a symbol/effigy/whatever of a black man hanging from a tree is still a very touchy subject in this country!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM

65 posts, read 134,977 times
I don't think it is racist either. It is an empty chair hanging from a tree. I also would not have tied it into the election had I seen it, even though I did see the Eastwood speech.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
If he had tied a noose, maybe? Very odd, and obviously his point was lost in translation somewhere. Seems like a stretch to call it racist, but who knows?
I agree, if he had intended it to represent a lynching he would have probably used a noose instead of several half hitches. He originally displayed on the the chair with no flag. I suspect he hung it up because otherwise it would have been nothing but a chair on the lawn. No political statement there.

He later added the flag to make it clear that it was a political statement.

I think he was surprised that so many people misinterpreted it as a racist statement. Which is why he took it down. If he had intended it to be a racist statement, I don't think he would have taken it down.

A neighbor how knows him said:

Quote:
Pantazes talked to a neighbor who told her that Johnson is an overall “good neighbor and a nice guy. He’s just a really conservative Republican.” The neighbor, who did not want to be identified, thought the issue was taken out of context.
In Ken Herman's interview at the Statesman, this is all he could get out of Bud Johnson, the man who hung the chair:

Quote:
"It's an empty chair," he said. "That's all it is."
I asked what statement he was trying to make.
"What does the empty chair mean?" he asked. "What does it mean to you?"
I told him it could mean a lot of things and mentioned the Republican National Convention.
"That's exactly what it meant," he said. "That's all you get."
With that, he headed toward his home.
"Can you tell me a little about yourself?" I asked as he walked away. "Are you a retiree?"
"That's none of your business," Johnson correctly answered. "And don't come on my property."
I asked why he had taken down the chair.
Johnson: "Because of mistaken conception."
Me: "So you decided to make the change because some people are upset?"
Johnson: "No. I decided to make the change because some people are stupid."
IN the KEYE-TV Video, which now appears to have been taken down or has temporarily stopped working, as I recall it, Mr. Johnson said he was taking the chair down because of people's misconceptions.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-21-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I don't know about racist, but it's an odd political statement that most people would find confusing. Also, his explanation doesn't really jive either. You can put the chair anywhere..not sure why you'd need to hang it from a tree. I've seen a lot of irrational anger/downright hatred being generated towards the President that I find frankly nauseating (i.e. people calling on him being assassinated, in addition to the usual racist nonsense), so I can see why people (who mind you, aren't minorities) would take offense.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
It's also gotten ridiculous how any disagreement with or protest against the current president is automatically called out as racist. That is getting OLD. Nothing is different than it was with Bush, except in Bush's case the hateful depictions extended beyond a few crazies and into mainstream music videos and celebrities/entertainers.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't know about racist, but it's an odd political statement that most people would find confusing. Also, his explanation doesn't really jive either. You can put the chair anywhere..not sure why you'd need to hang it from a tree. I've seen a lot of irrational anger/downright hatred being generated towards the President that I find frankly nauseating (i.e. people calling on him being assassinated, in addition to the usual racist nonsense), so I can see why people (who mind you, aren't minorities) would take offense.
A chair anywhere, just sitting on the ground, is just a chair.

A chair hanging from a tree attracts attention to it, add a flag and it is a political statement.

I too agree that there has been too much hatred directed at our president, I am sure a lot of it is racist,, which I find disgusting. But I can see how that was not the intention here with this chair.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 AM

Yes that was already stated in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies