Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:24 AM

180 posts, read 237,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That's not liberal logic, my friend. That's 40 years of membership as a Southern Baptist and very close, personal association with friends and family members who would not hesitate to impose our version of Christianity on everyone else if they got the chance.

That's not a condemnation of my fellow Baptist's, but just a straight forward, honest indication of how well the Evangelical right-wing of the Republican Party has successfully indoctrinated well meaning, Jesus loving Christian's with their brand of intolerance and hatred disguised by the name of Christ.

I do not hate, disparage or dislike my friends and family for what they believe. Instead, my heart grieves for their ignorance and for how easily they were taken in by the false doctrine of political activism and the tenants of Re-constructionism, which most of them are not even aware of.
Well...Republican Christian brainwashing can't be as bad as you claim..since obviously your a living example for a 40 year member...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 05:35 AM

Oh and one more thing Stillkit...

This country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles..contrary to the secular-left hand-wringers who deny it was...

Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
Well...Republican Christian brainwashing can't be as bad as you claim..since obviously your a living example for a 40 year member...

Some of us are naturally inquisitive and question everything. Most, I think, are not and especially when it comes to religion. You can see that playing out right here on these boards. Just look at how many people here take what they're given in a thread without questioning it first.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Oh and one more thing Stillkit...

This country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles..contrary to the secular-left hand-wringers who deny it was...
Really? Jesus Christ doesn't appear anywhere in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.

In truth, our nation was founded on a principle which is the very antithesis of Judeo-Christian ideals: self interest.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Some of us are naturally inquisitive and question everything. Most, I think, are not and especially when it comes to religion. You can see that playing out right here on these boards. Just look at how many people here take what they're given in a thread without questioning it first.
Exactly...Just like why should I believe your story on Republican Christian Brainwashing conspiracy...

Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly...Just like why should I believe your story on Republican Christian Brainwashing conspiracy...

You don't have to. Do some research yourself. Dig into the interconnected maze of schools, "ministries," interest groups, think tanks, colleges, law firms, "action" committees, media outlets and the Republican party and and see for yourself. Pay particular attention to individuals involved and who funds what. What you'll find is a byzantine network of players and money men, "thinkers" and preachers who can manipulate public opinion almost at will, and especially among my fellow Believers who do not know their Bible, don't understand the principles of the Constitution or how our government works.

If you delve deeply enough, you'll be astonished.

Just remember...categorically rejecting something just because you don't like the sound of it is not the same thing as being inquisitive. That's a closed mind, the breeding ground of manipulation.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
I didn't read any of the replies but it's really is not the place of the White House to comment on "art".

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
It's not the job of the President to be a religious crusader. This goes against the separation of church and state. If the artwork is not causing mass chaos or riots, they have no right to get involved.

What do you want him to do- force the artist to remove it? No president has the power to censor art and there's a good reason for that.
You're right. Unless Christians here or abroad cause mass riots or start murdering people, the prez will keep his mouth shut. Maybe he did in a roundabout way inadvertently condemn p Christ when he said --- "While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others,... "

Or maybe he was thinking of the U.S. as Christian and the 'others' as Muslim. Hard to tell what he and Clinton meant.

BTW, Obama has mentioned Christ and his Christian faith many times as a guide in public policy.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 AM

excerpt that says it all...

"Today's overwhelmingly secular historians generally imply that all of the 100 founders were akin to the least religious of them-Franklin, Jefferson and Madison. But, in truth: "Virtually all the signers of the Declaration and Constitution were churchgoing men" Hamilton, for example, routinely knelt by his bed and prayed before retiring and asked to take Communion while on his deathbed. John Witherspoon, Princeton's Presbyterian president, exercised enormous influence in both the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention. Digging into the original sources one finds persuasive evidence that this nation's founders were, in fact, deeply Christian men who openly relied upon their faith while establishing the United States of America."

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
in fact, deeply Christian men who openly relied upon their faith while establishing the United States of America."
If they were, they didn't know their Bible very well because Judaism is about obedience and submission to God, while Christianity is about surrendering self in the service of Christ.

The Constitution is not based upon either idea but, instead, empowers us all to sit upon our own throne, which the Bible calls pride...the greatest of sins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies