Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

One simple point; the largest single part of our infrastructure in private hands -- our freight railroads -- are in the best financial condition they have experienced for nearly a century.

I recognize that much of our transport infrastructure can't be converted to private operation. But the lack of market discipline invariably makes itself felt.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-21-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
One simple point; the largest single part of our infrastructure in private hands -- our freight railroads -- are in the best financial condition they have experienced for nearly a century.

I recognize that much of our transport infrastructure can't be converted to private operation. But the lack of market discipline invaiably males itself felt.
There is a railroad river crossing under construction near my office. The funding is a result of a partnership between the railroad, Amtrak, the Federal Railroad Administration, and the Missouri DOT. More and more funding is coming as a result of partnerships and cost shares with various jurisdictions.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Private contractors would object to your military labor plan.

Anyway, the problem isn't a shortage of labor, it is a shortage of revenue. Military base funding comes out of one pot of money. Infrastructure comes out of a different pot.
It does not. Where do people come up with this stuff or more accurately, you?

Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It does not. Where do people come up with this stuff or more accurately, you?
Correct me, please.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
You can't say if its not in my county its your problem, since its all interconnected. The greatest risk is in the power grid. It's a hodge podge of construction from the early 1900's to a few years ago, and its no more safe or reliable than the weakest point.

One of the huge blackouts on the east cost was caused by a tree falling in a storm in the upper midwest. It knocke down a wire, which shorted, and sent a surge of electricty ahead. This took out all the smaller junctures until it hit the largere ones and then they like clockwork went down too.

All those disastor and back a coupld of century scenerios don't seem so far fetched when you take into account that for some of these segments, there's no back up and perhaps no option but starting over.

We need to quit trying to save the world from itself and save ourselves from the crumbling foundations of our econonic and social systems.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Correct me, please.
Correct you please? I do not even know where to start. Do you pay a military tax and an infrastructure tax? No, of course not. Taxes are taxes.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Correct you please? I do not even know where to start. Do you pay a military tax and an infrastructure tax? No, of course not. Taxes are taxes.
A fuel tax isn't devoted to transportation infrastructure? Congress doesn't take some of my income tax and apportions it to the defense budget? Those are two pots of money right there.

There isn't one big cauldron of money where each department just reaches in and takes what it wants. Congress deals out a portion to each department and they have to work with what they get in their particular pot.

Dat's da ways I sees it.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
A fuel tax isn't devoted to transportation infrastructure? Congress doesn't take some of my income tax and apportions it to the defense budget? Those are two pots of money right there.
Yes, they take your income tax from the big pot and apportion it to defense. They could just as easy apportion it to infrastructure.

Quote:
There isn't one big cauldron of money where each department just reaches in and takes what it wants. Congress deals out a portion to each department and they have to work with what they get in their particular pot.

Dat's da ways I sees it.
There are not separate pots that they take from. They decide where to spend the one big pot.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, they take your income tax from the big pot and apportion it to defense. They could just as easy apportion it to infrastructure.

There are not separate pots that they take from. They decide where to spend the one big pot.

Once apportioned to a department, it can't be taken it away during a fiscal year. But, I see your point when considering reapportionment for the next fiscal year. The savings from base closures can be reapportioned in future fiscal years, but it can't be done during the same fiscal year since funds are already dedicated. I was only considering one fiscal year when I previously posted.

Thanks for the help in clarifying my thinking.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
I often think to myself what our country could look like if we'd taken all that money we spent on middle east wars and spent it instead on improving our infrastructure.
Or all the billions of state dollars wasted on bloated salaries and pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies