Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM

419 posts, read 465,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, clearly worse than the events the likes of Nancy Pelosi and other rotten to the core democrats have hosted, in which government workers were used as props... And paid with TAX DOLLARS.
It would be just as disgraceful if a Democrat had a campaign stop at a government facility and the workers therein were told attendance was mandatory and they were threatened with termination if they didn't attend.

Please link to where this has happened, as your post reads as if this were a noted fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The miners have a union. I'm sure the union would act on anything "forced" although if they were getting paid while attending no one may balk at all.
That's absurd.
A mandatory gathering or else is what this sounded like.
How many of those people pictured were willard supporters? 5%??

unless the S.S. went thru screening miners to find willard supporters and 0 dissenters.
which is probablt how it went, and were paid extra to just be seen with willard.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Daily Kos: Headlines about Romney coal ad focus on miners forced to serve as unpaid prop at Romney speech

At a campaign rally that Romney held in Ohio, with a backdrop of miners, the miners were there because they were forced to be there, unpaid. And believe it or not, it seems that forcing workers to attend campaign rallys unpaid "could be" illegal

This should be a criminal violation of both labor laws and election laws and we shouldn't have to ask if it is

(please sign the petition)

Daily Kos Action
Apparently they felt forced to attend, and had to take a pay cut for the day. They will have to get a good labor law attorney in Ohio

Murray Energy Miners Allege They Had To Give Up Pay To Attend 'Mandatory' Romney Rally (AUDIO)

Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
"They say in Harlan County, there are no neutrals there, you'll either be a union man or a thug for JH Blair."

Old 09-22-2012, 12:51 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, clearly worse than the events the likes of Nancy Pelosi and other rotten to the core democrats have hosted, in which government workers were used as props... And paid with TAX DOLLARS.
Ah, so their attendance was mandatory? I look forward to evidence from one of the members of the fact-free posse.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
It would be just as disgraceful if a Democrat had a campaign stop at a government facility and the workers therein were told attendance was mandatory and they were threatened with termination if they didn't attend.

Please link to where this has happened, as your post reads as if this were a noted fact.
Ill. state workers forced to attend Pelosi, Jackson event | The Daily Caller

Old 09-22-2012, 01:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
......................Leftist thinking?
Right-wing obtuseness?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Only if they were required by their employer and thenn it is their employers responsibility.
No Romney story here.
I never said it was a Romney story

Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're right, I did assume here. I just read a few more articles on this and none of them mention a union.
This was between mgmt and the employees.

Sounds like they might have a case if they have something in writing. Emotions won't carry much weight in court. "I feel like I might get fired."

Mgmt says that nobody was forced to attend while the workers said they were.
What the hell do they need it in writing for? Employees don't get stuff in writing from the boss. They're saying it was mandatory but not forced. What the hell is the difference. And they don't need ANY emotions. All that's needed is that they were forced to be there and they weren't paid

Old 09-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
Even funnier - Rob Moore, CFO of Murray Energy Company, which owns the mine, said, "Our managers communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend."

Mandatory, but no one forced to attend. I wonder if Rob knows what the word "mandatory" means. Or perhaps he meant that no one was physically bound, gagged and propped up.

The president of our company used to have republicans running for local office at our company all the time to come and speak. We were paid for attending and there was certainly no pressure applied. We were free to attend or not.
That's also against the law, paying them to attend political rallies. In fact one the the mine company's amazingly idiotic and absurd and just simply mind boggling excuses for why the miners were forced to attend without pay was that it was against the law to pay them to attend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies