Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:35 PM

679 posts, read 660,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I sincerely hope that you aren't a parent - since you don't understand effective discipline.

You will teach children that everything they do is OK - and they won't learn to respect boundaries.

Why do you think our prison population is exploding? Children never learned appropriate limits to their behavior because their parents were too scared to discipline them properly.
You seem really out of touch with reality. Where I am from, a civilized place, only parents who are trash or have a criminal record consider spanking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't know about you, but I don;t want to live in a country where bureaucrats and politicians will be deciding what I can and cannot do, down to the smallest and most innocuous details. Before you know it, government would make it illegal for me to buy a 20oz soft drink with my burger.
Already happened in nanny state NYC.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
You seem really out of touch with reality. Where I am from, a civilized place, only parents who are trash or have a criminal record consider spanking.
How do you define "trash" and how do you know whether someone has a criminal record?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
How do you define "trash" and how do you know whether someone has a criminal record?
We have a state circuit court online. If I knew their name I could know anything they have done.

Also "trash" is someone who is lazy, incompetent, poorly educated and typically doesn't make sound life decisions.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Them "trash" know what they are doing, Robert Lazalere:

Quote:
There have been 13 published studies and 3 unpublished studies capable of isolating the effects of parental spanking on child outcomes. Most of them (12 of 16) have found beneficial child outcomes of spanking under some important circumstances. Such beneficial outcomes are mostly limited to the use of nonabusive spanking to back up milder disciplinary tactics with 2- to 6-year-old children by loving, sober parents who are in control of their anger. When parents use spanking primarily to back up milder disciplinary responses, such as reasoning or time out, then those milder tactics become more effective disciplinary tactics by themselves. In this way, parents can work themselves out of the need to use spanking without compromising their disciplinary effectiveness. Beneficial outcomes have included reductions in noncompliance, fighting, antisocial behavior, emotional problems, and hostility[/SIZE]

In contrast, 4 of the 16 causally conclusive studies found only detrimental child outcomes of nonabusive spanking. The detrimental outcomes occurred almost entirely for children over 6 years old. The detrimental outcomes tend to be small, and do not apply to subgroups that view spanking as more appropriate and loving (e.g., African-Americans and conservative Protestants). Further, a replication of the best study found identical small detrimental child outcomes for all four alternative disciplinary responses for 6- to 9-year-olds available from the interview: grounding, sending the child to a room, removing privileges, and taking away an allowance. Whatever accounts for this small detrimental child effect, it does not seem to be unique to spanking, but may reflect overly frequent uses of any negative consequence (rejecting manner?, impulsive rather than loving discipline?, insufficient discussion?).

In conclusion, the current scientific evidence suggests that some kind of balanced middle position on spanking is preferable to either of the polarized extremes. Parents should resort to the mildest disciplinary tactic they think will be effective, and be open to mutually acceptable compromises negotiated by their children. But they should back up reasoning and time out when necessary, whether with a nonabusive spanking (appropriate only near the ages of 2 to 6) or some alternative (e.g., grounding). Parenting experts need to expand effective nonabusive disciplinary options for parents, not prematurely restrict them.
Studies show spanking, when properly done, is beneficial.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't think anyone is running around beating the hell out of the children every time they look at em wrong. Well actually some probably do but we're not talking about those types. Discipline comes in many forms. Denying things, spanking, grounding et. I've found the older they have gotten the work detail type of things carry a lot more clout. I mean hell my 15yo is on the varsity football team this year. It would be pretty damn funny watching me try and spank him. I don't think it would end up too well for me. lol Of course one mention of his car keys taken away and that takes care of any problems from him.
Yes - discipline needs to be age specific. A toddler just gets frustrated when you take toys away and they aren't old enough to appreciate many priveliges. They may not understand the connection between their behavior or a time out. But they will remember getting spanked - and if done calmly, immediately, and with telling the child that it is a result of their behavior - they will get the message.

Done early and effectively - there should be no need for spanking to take place much past the age of 7.

How anyone who claims to love their child can not spank them when needed is beyond me. That is the problem - parents are now "friends" or "life-teachers" - and they have abdicated the responsibility and authority of being a parent.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Also "trash" is someone who is lazy, incompetent, poorly educated and typically doesn't make sound life decisions.
Why didn't you just say "likely voters for Barack Obama" - it would have been much clearer.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:

You must live in a very small and unique place, ABC:

Quote:
The public by a 2-1 margin approves of spanking children in principle, and half of parents say they sometimes do it to their own kids, an ABCNEWS poll found.
A lot of "trash" and think liberals complain when Romney disses 47% of the population.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Why didn't you just say "likely voters for Barack Obama" - it would have been much clearer.
Two things:

Firstly you are projecting.

Secondly this have nothing to do with party affiliations. Rather social upbringing.

I think you have discredited yourself in this thread by a considerable margin by this statement.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Actually you mention the cell phone and I was always in the I'll never get my kid a cell phone club. However when they get older and start running around it is so much easier to track em down.
Not to mention that you can take the cell phone away if they misbehave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies