Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I will as soon as you explain the difference between denying rights to homosexuals, who many believe suffer from a mental illness, and denying rights to schizophrenics.
That's your claim, son.

You really shouldn't be asking anyone to explain it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If you have such feeling for them bring a couple of them into your home and support them...or shut up....
Lame... so should everyone who's not ready to adopt a child shut up about abortion? That would be nice, I admit!

But your answer is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's a stupid thing to say. Why would anyone, liberal or conservative, take in a total stranger as if adopting a dog or child? Many of those people have severe problems and need professional and other help. A roof above their heads is definitely not enough, they need a perspective etc.
Exactly. Just "taking them in" would not only endanger (possibly) that family, but would really do nothing to solve the homeless person's issues in the long run. They aren't just houseless because they ran out of money, at least not in most cases - as approximately 80% of the homeless have severe/untreated mental illness and/or substance abuse issues. So unless somebody is not only willing to give them a room, but also to take on their medical expenses, withdrawals, etc, this is a rather stupid idea.

Btw, I actually have let a few homeless people stay with me in the past - but they were more "homeless by choice" (hippies), and I either knew them personally or through friends who could vouch for their sanity. We had a few come & go at my old house, and allowed them to stay in exchange for housework. Now what, oh high & mighty ones who think this is a zinger?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
She was wearing clean clothing and did not look like a street person. I also doubt that she was mentally ill. This was at a stop light and I was about 5 or 6 cars back, and she was walking toward my car. The light turned green, the cars started to move, and I looked in my rearview mirror back at her as she turned around and she looked pissed that a light cycle had gone by and no one had given her any money.
Since you don't know her, this is really just speculation... for all you know she has severe bipolar disorder with a touch of PTSD, and got those clean clothes from a women's shelter that day. I've personally donated many new or like-new designer clothes to shelters, so it's very possible... still remember when I donated a gorgeous leather jacket, and the receptionist was like "Uh oh, we're gonna have ladies FIGHTING over this one! We'd better do a raffle or something."

Or maybe that woman lives in a mansion, who knows? Just ignore them and go about your day, if you don't want to give them anything right there.

Quote:
We donate a great deal of money every year to organizations that help both the homeless and the working poor. We donate to Habitat, the local rescue mission (homeless shelter), and Heifer International, among other organizations like Modestneeds.org. I sympathize with people in dire straights. I just don't appreciate people who panhandle. Like I said, there are churches all over the place that would help someone who walked in the door and asked for help. A lot of churches in this area house homeless people as part of the Interfaith Hospitality network. I have both served and eaten meals with homeless people. There is really no need to panhandle unless you are just unwilling to seek help legitimately. And I happen to know that the Harris Teeter that was within eyeshot of where she was standing IS hiring, and in fact, does hire mentally challenged people to bag groceries. There are also career paths for hard workers into management at Harris Teeter.
It's nice that you make such donations, but money (although it obviously helps) isn't the ultimate solution... otherwise, as other people have stated here, the simple act of qualifying for SS or welfare would solve their problems. There's a reason some people are chronically homeless, and it's not typically because they just can't find a job.

I think you're also confusing terms, since I said mentally ILL, not mentally "challenged" - the latter being an outdated term for intellectually disabled, and the former meaning they have a mental illness like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. Sure, they'll hire a nice kid with Down Syndrome at McDonald's, because they can usually be trusted to work hard & follow rules. Can the same be said about an untreated schizophrenic, especially if they have felony records? Find me an employer who's willing to hire THAT person, and I'll be very very surprised.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Around here (Southern California) there are a lot of people with jobs that are homeless. They just can't afford housing. Studio apartments run around $1000+ a month so a minimum wage job isn't going to cut it.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
This thread reflects the true nature of the human race.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
If those who suffer from psychological issues are incapable of working due to that reason, then they're eligible for Social Security Disability.
You can't get social security disability if you haven't worked steadily to begin with.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
There are 1.6 million homeless school age children in the U.S.

Do you guys want to gas/beat up/ torch/ ship off all those kids while you're at it ?

Many families and teens end up homeless because they are escaping violence and abuse at home.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I have no problem with that. In fact they wouldn't grow up to be a burden on society like they would be if left to liberal parents (baby daddy & mommy).
Then why aren't you doing so?
How many unwanted kids have you adopted?

I'll bet a quarter that the answer is zero.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are right, BUT they have to WANT to be helped. otherwise anything you, or anyone else, does is a wasted effort.

if you want to help the homeless that want to be helped, direct them to the salvation army, or the salvation army hospitality house. they will provide temporary shelter as needed and as available, provide showers, laundry facilities, a fixed address for them to get mail at, and help in getting back on their feet and some reeducation as to how to operate in society today. they will even help in finding jobs for these people.

i know this because i worked for the salvation army hospitality house in tucson as their winter program driver. i took the over flow to the shelters, and brought them back to downtown in the morning. i also went around and picked up food and clothing donations from around the city for these people.

the help is available for those that need it, all they need do is go get it.
They force religion on those that they "help".

Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You can't get social security disability if you haven't worked steadily to begin with.
Supplemental Security Income. I didn't know there was a difference. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies