Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That makes no sense. We frack because the coal plants have been shut down. You have heard of electricity right? Maybe you don't use it up in Washington but most do.
These idiots would be happy if we all lived like the Amish and went to town in horse and buggy, and had no electricity or phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Fracking has other dangers besides polluting the water table, it also causes earth quakes...
Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!! OMG!!! Side splitting! Get real! There has never been one documented case of fracking causing a earth quake!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is some indication a specific type of well may be causing earthquakes, it's not a fracking well extracting gas but where they are injecting used fracking fluid tens of thousands of feet below the surface for disposal. At least that's my understanding.
I have never heard of this. It is my understanding, and we were told during the presentation in our area, that the "fracking fluid" is mostly water, and very little chemical. The water is cleaned prior to being released back into the environment, and not "injected" back into the ground. Do you have a source for that information?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Growing up drinking the finest spring water...that flowed under it's own pressure from underground rivers located beneath the Oak Ridge Moraine..Just north of Toronto....I was shocked the first day I saw bottled water for sale..."What- water for sale..holy cow...water?" - My brother and I back in the 60s would look south to Toronto and new the city was expanding north...We wondered "How long is it going to take before they come to get our pure water" - well they did not come- they paved over and destroyed the land and interfered with the great ancient glacier water source.

Water is now as expensive as gasoline...in some places- pure untreated water...NOW we have to decide which is more important...water for the body that sustains life....or gasoline that allows us to earn a living an gain more material luxury?

To poison water by mixing it with toxins from the ground in the hope of maintaining wealth that is not needed to sustain life...is simply unwise...Let those who seek great wealth NOT make the waters bitter .. Once a water table is poisoned it is poisoned forever. I knew of a family that had a tiny amount of oil product seep into their well- the whole family contracted cancer one by one and they all finally died- A poisoned well wiped them out.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Not if uncle sam keeps sticking his nose into it all. I say the goal is to rise the cost of all energy until it becomes cost effective to use solar and wind and whatever else they deem green enough and then say well hell why not just go all green if it costs the same. Many will just shrug their shoulders and say yep that makes sense to me.
I think it's obvious that is the goal, but we are a long way off from that, and people complain about windmills now. Some claim they make an annoying sound, birds fly into the blades and are killed and they are unsightly.

I think we should be revisiting nuclear, as I have read that modern nuclear plants are virtually without risk. Technology changes a lot of things. When was the last nuclear plant built here in the U.S.? Come to think of it, I think I read of one being approved for construction in Georgia or N. Carolina a while back.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 AM

Default Van Jones, is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian Inserection View Post
corporations mine these areas the majority of which are public lands then export the fossil fuel to the highest bidder pocketing the profits

Public land belongs to you and me selling the resources off of public lands for a profit is theft.
What do you have against profit? Somebody has to get the coal out of the ground, and if there is no profit in doing it, then the coal is going to sit there, untouched. Oh, wait. That's what you want.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
These idiots would be happy if we all lived like the Amish and went to town in horse and buggy, and had no electricity or phone.
You have to keep an eye on oil companies...look how PB screwed up with that huge gusher under the Gulf...and the executives referred to everyday people as "the little people"- These jerks are so profit motivated that they can be reckless. You can not trust them when it comes to the possibility that they may destroy natural water sources....What good is a world where you have to pay to stay alive- pay 20 dollars for a gallon of water- If we are not careful that day may come...Our most valuable resource is water. You can survive with out the other things...You are made mostly of water- no water - NO YOU!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
They lease that land, if you want to make any arguments argue about the leases. We don't need the government going into the fossil fuel business. The private fossil fule industry in the US is the most efficient, most technologically advanced and safest in the world. There is a reason so many companies hire US companies for a lot of these projects. FYI nearly all of the gas wells in PA are on private land and the landowners are making $$$.

So what are your thoughts on being lied too with the Gasland documentary?
The name Haliburton comes to mind. They developed much of the oilfield equipment in use today and the technology, which is why they were used for "no bid" work in the Middle East. They knew that equipment better than anyone.

As mentioned above in another post of mine, we recently signed a lease of our 11 acres for gas fracking. They will put together blocks of 640 acres per drilling unit. When and if gas is produced, we will receive royalties, which should produce a nice income. Great for the retirement years.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM

Default Define "public land."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian Inserection View Post
the government doesn't own public land either, you and i do. It is theft when they allow corporations to sell our resources for their profit.
So, you are against private ownership? You want to show me your "Deed" to the public land that you claim?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
They do with leases.
Which I'm sure include royalties paid.

It's a total waste of time to argue with people like this, because they don't have a clue about how an economy works, or how a business is run. Profit to them is just greed. They will never understand it. They think that all you need is enough to cover your costs. Their minds are vacuous. They have no ability to understand logic and reason. They have created their own reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies