Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:44 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I want to know why Obama is paying less than $6,000 property tax on a $2 million home (and, yes, he does live in a city neighborhood of multi-million dollar homes).

Barack Obama's Chicago House - Zillow

PIN 20-11-115-027-0000
:: Cook County Treasurer's Office - Chicago, Illinois ::

Cook County property values going down, but tax bills headed up - Chicago Tribune

30% of $1.9 million is $570,000. 5.5% of that is $31,350.

Apparently, Obama has some sort of a deal in which he's WAY under-paying his property taxes.
I looked up that PIN and the bills are going to a Jane Stuart. What makes you think this is Obama's property? If you do a Google image search the house looks completely different than the one listed in your Zillow link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Hilarious that this is the only negative thing you can pull out of his tax returns.
OP did not say that was all.....that is just what he felt GLARED for further scrutiny... Now that Romney has showed up BO regarding things like his contributions (of which he did not claim all of them) as well as his ability to manage large sums of money...What kind of diversion do you think this adm and his zars will come up next next to try and deflect the REAL media with to keep his continued debauckles under wraps with?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Here's a detailed account of Obama's finances, how he made his money, and how it's invested.

How Barack Obama Made His Fortune - Yahoo! Finance

Apparently he has a huge amount invested in U.S. treasuries. Deferred interest. He will pay when he cashes them in.
The interest on treasuries is generally due annually. The US quit issuing long-term notes. Maybe old zero-coupons. We don't know because be refuses to release the details and explain how he has avoided paying tax.

I note your article indicates he had a Swiss bank account. I wonder why no outrage from the Left?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM

I should also note the old zeroes and other tax-deferred instruments were only available in large face denominations. In other words, the rich. You aren't telling me Obama used tax loopholes available to the rich to defer tax, are you?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Hilarious that this is the only negative thing you can pull out of his tax returns.
Uhhhh, I'm pretty sure it's the illiterate left who keeps vomiting up the subject of tax returns. If the left spied something like that on Romney's returns, they would have one of the biggest circle jerks in the history of mankind.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Uhhhh, I'm pretty sure it's the illiterate left who keeps vomiting up the subject of tax returns. If the left spied something like that on Romney's returns, they would have one of the biggest circle jerks in the history of mankind.
Swiss account and tax loopholes. They're not just for Republicans anymore.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 PM

88,965 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
I looked up that PIN and the bills are going to a Jane Stuart. What makes you think this is Obama's property? If you do a Google image search the house looks completely different than the one listed in your Zillow link.
That is Obama's address. Apparently, the property is not held in his name.

Map of Barack Obama's Chicago Home

Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I should also note the old zeroes and other tax-deferred instruments were only available in large face denominations. In other words, the rich. You aren't telling me Obama used tax loopholes available to the rich to defer tax, are you?
I don't know much about T-bonds. We own a chunk of I bonds, which have deferred interest. I just assumed T-bonds were similar. I didn't think deferring taxes was a bad thing. That's what 401(k)'s and IRA's are for, and lots of middle class Americans have those. It's part of the US tax code to give incentives for certain activities, like saving for retirement or buying a house.

I thought it was interesting that he chose Vanguard Wellesley Fund. We have a large chunk in that fund too.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about T-bonds. We own a chunk of I bonds, which have deferred interest. I just assumed T-bonds were similar. I didn't think deferring taxes was a bad thing. That's what 401(k)'s and IRA's are for, and lots of middle class Americans have those. It's part of the US tax code to give incentives for certain activities, like saving for retirement or buying a house.

I thought it was interesting that he chose Vanguard Wellesley Fund. We have a large chunk in that fund too.
401k are limited to ~$16k. IRA's have a limit and phase out and higher incomes. There are tax-free municipals but those are at the state level.

Treasuries are usually after-tax investments, and usually the interest is taxed annually. There are exceptions.

I don't have a problem with him deferring tax. I did the same thing. I have a problem with liberals screaming about Romney's returns when Obama does the exact the same. Where is the outrage over Obama's Swiss account?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is Obama's address. Apparently, the property is not held in his name.

Map of Barack Obama's Chicago Home
No, his house is in the link you just posted. The pretty one. The tax records for the property PIN you originally posted show an ugly 1,440 square foot two story narrow brick building worth only $391,000 located at 5046 S Greenwood Ave. The record doesn't list the owner, just the mailing address for the tax bill.

Now I think I may see the reason for the tax discrepancy...if that was the original building on the lot assessed at 391K, and the Obamas tore down that building and built a new house on the lot, perhaps the assessment hasn't been updated to reflect that. Where I live they do assessments every 10 years. If you're that concerned, I'm sure you can call the Cook county property tax assessor and ask why the property record is not up to date.

What do you think about the Palins not reporting that a vacation cabin had been built on land they owned so that they were underpaying their property taxes? Were you upset about that too? Because, you know, the Obama's house is well known and in a popular area of Chicago. The Palin cabin was out in the middle of nowhere and the assessor had to rely on the honesty of property owners to report improvements. Which, of course, they did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies